Windows 10: A problem with Win 10 Home Photos app

Discus and support A problem with Win 10 Home Photos app in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is on my Gateway laptop, OS Win 10 Home 64 bit. I keep getting the following error message: -------------- An app default was reset An app caused... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reble, Jul 21, 2020.

1. reble Win User

A problem with Win 10 Home Photos app

This is on my Gateway laptop, OS Win 10 Home 64 bit. I keep getting the following error message:
    --------------
    An app default was reset
    An app caused a problem with the default app setting for *.jpeg files, so it was reset to photos.
    --------------
    I also get the same error message for the following *.GIF and *.BMP files. when trying to view the files.
    I have found a way to uninstall the Photos app. But it seems to not have worked. I have an image prog called "IrfanView". I have been using it for years and it has served me well. I am a firm believer of "if it an't broke, don't fix it". It was a long time after Win 10 came out that I made the jump from Win 7 to Win 10. I should upgrade IrfanView. The version that I have is for Win 7 Home 32 bit. I still run Win 7 home 32 bit on my Sony backup laptop. The Sony laptop is about 3 to 4 years older then the Gateway. The Sony still get's the job done for what I need it for.

:)

reble, Jul 21, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

Just a suggesting. Clear all file associations via the GUI:

A problem with Win 10 Home Photos app [​IMG]

Then head to Settings> Apps> Default Apps> Choose Default Apps By File Type

Then set image file associations to something else.

Uninstall Irfanview completely using a third party uninstaller that scans for leftovers.

Then reboot and reinstall it. Set file associations for Irfanview via "Open With" > "Always use this app"

See if you get the same problem.

Callender, Aug 4, 2020
  3. reble Win User

This is on my Gateway laptop, OS Win 10 Home 64 bit. I keep getting the following error message:
    --------------
    An app default was reset
    An app caused a problem with the default app setting for *.jpeg files, so it was reset to photos.
    --------------
    I also get the same error message for the following *.GIF and *.BMP files. when trying to view the files.
    I have found a way to uninstall the Photos app. But it seems to not have worked. I have an image prog called "IrfanView". I have been using it for years and it has served me well. I am a firm believer of "if it an't broke, don't fix it". It was a long time after Win 10 came out that I made the jump from Win 7 to Win 10. I should upgrade IrfanView. The version that I have is for Win 7 Home 32 bit. I still run Win 7 home 32 bit on my Sony backup laptop. The Sony laptop is about 3 to 4 years older then the Gateway. The Sony still get's the job done for what I need it for.

reble, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Ztruker Win User

Definitely upgrade to the latest version. I have 4.42, but 4.54 is the latest. Like you I've been using it as long as I can remember. I'll upgrade as soon as I'm done here.

A problem with Win 10 Home Photos app [​IMG]

Ztruker, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. A problem with Win 10 Home Photos app - Similar Threads - problem Home Photos

2. NO PHOTOS APP IN WIN 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NO PHOTOS APP IN WIN 10: After reinstalling Win 10, there is no PHOTOS app. Is there a way to recover it, or is it no longer available? If not, can you suggest a safe app for viewing and editing my photos?...
  3. NO PHOTOS APP IN WIN 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NO PHOTOS APP IN WIN 10: After reinstalling Win 10, there is no PHOTOS app. Is there a way to recover it, or is it no longer available? If not, can you suggest a safe app for viewing and editing my photos?...
  4. Problem with Win 10 Photos App

Problem with Win 10 Photos App: I am able to open any photo in any folder in the Photos App including the first photo in the folder – see later, but as soon as I click on the next/previous arrows I get the following error message:FILENAME.JPG - Sorry, Photos can't open this file because the format is...
  5. Problem with Win 10 Photos app

Problem with Win 10 Photos app: Hi I have, with some difficulty, managed to load Adobe Photoshop CS4 onto a new computer with Windows 10; irritatingly, Windows 10 will not let me change .jpg as the default file extn to Photoshop from the Photos app. Strangely, it will allow .tiff and .tif to be allocated to...
  6. Photos app win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Photos app win 10: What happened to the photos app? When I imported images I used to be asked if I wanted to delete the photos from the sd card. Now I'm not asked that and I have to delete the photos one by one in the camera. I opened the folder on the sd card in the computer file explorer, but...
  7. Photo app in win 10

Photo app in win 10: The photo app finds and includes .png files mostly icons. Can I exclude these files from the app? The files are showing as being located in the File History folder. Running Win 10 Version 1909...
  8. Photos and Win 10 Photo Apps

Photos and Win 10 Photo Apps: I have two questions. 1. Is Photo Gallery going away? If so, when? I think I saw that it would no longer be supported. 2. One of the features I liked about PG was the Comments area; I could include a lot of info there. Now I can't use it. I don't see a similar feature in...
  9. Win 10 Home activation Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Home activation Problem: Had win 10 Home activated into an ASUS X99 Deluxe Board that subsequently crashed and had hardware issues rendering it unusable as it could not boot to Windows. Bought another ASUS X99 Deluxe board to replace the damaged board using all the same hardware, Memory, Graphics...
  10. Win 10 photos app crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 photos app crashes: Sometimes while editing a pic Photos will crash without bringing down Win 10. But sometimes it causes Win 10 to crash and restart. What is up? Thanks, Terry...