Windows 10: A program is asking me to sign in with administrator privileges, but I am the only user so...

Discus and support A program is asking me to sign in with administrator privileges, but I am the only user so... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; See question. Tried Google, answers given as to going in and trying advanced settings have not worked. Program actually has a button saying "Run as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Simon Davis2, Mar 28, 2023.

1. A program is asking me to sign in with administrator privileges, but I am the only user so...

See question. Tried Google, answers given as to going in and trying advanced settings have not worked. Program actually has a button saying "Run as Administrator" but when I press this I get told I don't have administrator privileges. Am I going around the bend. Have uninstalled and reinstalled program, same result. My computer under users says I am an administrator???

:)

Simon Davis2, Mar 28, 2023
  2. jimbobs Win User

Administrator level User

Got the laptop. It's a Lenovo G500 so possibly has Lenovo stuff in the way? Anyway, booted it normally and it opens into a regular account without admin privileges. Rebooted it into Recovery mode (per Option 5) and get Lenovo logo and Preparing Automatic Repair message; then Select Account + "You need to sign in as an administrator to continue but there aren't any administrator accounts on this PC". There is an option "Forgot your password or don't see your account?" but selecting that brings up a screen which should list admin accounts but there aren't any. Pressing the only option on that page Restart leads eventually to a BSOD with Stop code: 0xc00002e3 (which I know is misconfigured o/s or missing or damaged system files).

Can anybody suggest next steps in resolving this?

jimbobs, Mar 28, 2023
  3. administrator can't sign in

I appreciate your response. There is a possibility that your user account is not an administrator and that is the reason why the device is having an issue with receiving a remote control assistance. Since you are also having an issue with accessing the administrator
    account of your wife, I suggest enabling the built-in administrator on your Windows 10. Using the built-in administrator account, you'll be able to make your user account as an administrator.

To enable the built-in administrator account, follow these steps:

• On Search type CMD to open the Command Prompt. Right click on CMD then choose Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Yes.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type net user administrator /active:yes then hit the Enter key.
    • You should see a message that the command completed successfully. Log out, and you’ll now see the Administrator account as a choice on the login screen.

Once you sign into the PC using the built-in administrator, follow these steps to make your user profiles as an administrator:

• Open the Settings app.
    • Choose Accounts and then click on Other people.
    • Click on your user account and then click on Change account type button.
    • Change the account type to Administrator and then click OK.

Note: The built-in administrator account has more privileges than a regular administrator account. Privileges that can easily generate a conflict on your system. We only recommend enabling the built-in administrator account for troubleshooting purposes and
    you have to disable it once you are done.

To disable the built-in administrator account, access the Command Prompt with administrator privileges. Type the command net user administrator /active:no then hit the Enter key. The built-in administrator account will now be disabled, and
    shouldn’t show up on the login screen.

Let me know if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Mar 28, 2023
  4. A program is asking me to sign in with administrator privileges, but I am the only user so...

Error: "You need administrator privileges to make the changes" on Windows 10

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about administrator privileges to your user account. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• How exactly have you tried to change the user account to administrator?
    • Have you logged in as an administrator using Microsoft account on your device?
    • Have you enabled Built-in administrator account?

Try the below steps if not yet tried and check if it helps.

I suggest you to check the user account and their types on your device.

• Press Windows + R key together on your desktop screen.
    • Type netplwiz and hit
      Enter.
    • Check if there are any other user accounts on your device as an administrator.

Step 1: If you have an account with administrative privileges login through that account and try the following steps to change the user account type:

• Press Windows + R keys from the Keyboard.
    • Type netplwiz and click on Ok.
    • Click on the Users tab.
    • Under Users of this computer: select the account you want to change.
    • Click on Properties button.
    • Select Group Membership tab and select the type of user account.
    • Click on Apply and Ok.

Step 2: If you are a local user, I suggest you to convert the local account to Microsoft account and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Make sure you are device is connected to internet.
    • Click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on
      Sign in with a Microsoft account instead
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 28, 2023
Thema:

A program is asking me to sign in with administrator privileges, but I am the only user so...

1. A program is asking me to sign in with administrator privileges, but I am the only user so... - Similar Threads - program asking sign

2. A program is asking me to sign in with administrator privileges, but I am the only user so...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A program is asking me to sign in with administrator privileges, but I am the only user so...: See question. Tried Google, answers given as to going in and trying advanced settings have not worked. Program actually has a button saying "Run as Administrator" but when I press this I get told I don't have administrator privileges. Am I going around the bend. Have...
  3. Windows not letting me delete certain files. I am the administrator and only user.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows not letting me delete certain files. I am the administrator and only user.: I am unable to delete certain files on my PC. Windows is telling me I do not have permission and that I require permission from... myself. I have been unable to locate a working solution. Given all the information provided by the image below, why am I unable to delete this...
  4. Windows not letting me delete certain files. I am the administrator and only user.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not letting me delete certain files. I am the administrator and only user.: I am unable to delete certain files on my PC. Windows is telling me I do not have permission and that I require permission from... myself. I have been unable to locate a working solution. Given all the information provided by the image below, why am I unable to delete this...
  5. Windows not letting me delete certain files. I am the administrator and only user.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. General User with Administrative Privileges??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    General User with Administrative Privileges??: Currently running Win10 Pro 21H1 with a General User account. When I look in Settings, under my picture is my email address and the word Administrator. Sure enough, to execute a privileged command all I need to do is click "Yes" in the pop-up window asking for confirmation of...
  7. I am administrator but my program shortcut always asks for admin privilege to run. The...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I am administrator but my program shortcut always asks for admin privilege to run. The...: Summed it up pretty good. The computer can run the application but only from the desktop shortcut, and it asks for admin permission every time. If I go I to the program files and they to run from the .exe, I get an error saying that the sfl.dll file is missing, even though...
  8. I lost my Administrative privileges again in Windows 10. I am the only user on the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I lost my Administrative privileges again in Windows 10. I am the only user on the...: I lost my Administrative privileges again in Windows 10. I am the only user on the computer. Cannot access USB drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-lost-my-administrative-privileges-again-in/6d184434-a5b8-46a0-9231-d585cb311591
  9. I am the administrator and only user of my computer but still dont have "full privileges"...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am the administrator and only user of my computer but still dont have "full privileges"...: So as the title says, I'm the only user on this computer and have always been. Recently when trying to save something to my C drive or any of its subfolders I would get an error that I dont have the necessary permission to save in this location and should contact my...
  10. administrator privileges...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    administrator privileges...: I have recently had problems getting certain programs to work properly (Alzip, Finale 2012 and others), and I've discovered that somewhere along the line, presumably after the last big Windows 10 upgrade, my permissions must have changed. The result of this is that I now have...