Windows 10: A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to...

Discus and support A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For a rather long while now, I've been experiencing an issue where at random full-screen games will simply minimize. It happens once, then a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GenericalUser, Jul 20, 2019.

1. A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to...

For a rather long while now, I've been experiencing an issue where at random full-screen games will simply minimize. It happens once, then a few moments later, it happens again (if I immediately refocus the game/program I was using). This is so incredibly irritating.

How do I determine what program is causing it?

:)

GenericalUser, Jul 20, 2019
  2. condabest Win User

Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a registry you could edit to disable this I believe, but was removed for Windows 7(?) and apparently editing it (I've read [1]) doesn't affect anything.

Is there some way to edit a program's permission's or the registry or another setting to prevent either all programs or select programs from stealing focus etc? (This is for programs that don't give you the option of turning it off in their settings.)

Thanks for the help A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to... :)

[1] Preventing applications from stealing focus

condabest, Jul 20, 2019
  3. Jeeves Win User
    Start Screen (tablet mode) steals focus

I am currently running Windows 10 Home in Tablet Mode.
    Problem is, the Start Screen steals focus.
    For instance, let's say I write a new message in Thunderbird. After I post it, the message window is closed, but focus does not go back to the originating program. Start Screen steals focus and I have to ALT-TAB to the program I was using.

Jeeves, Jul 20, 2019
  4. A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to...

Windows Updater Steals Focus

When playing games via Steam every hour or so the game would mysteriously minimize or at the very least drop out of full screen for a couple of seconds. After a lot of research and debugging I was able to track the problem down to Windows Updater stealing
    focus. This is really problematic behavior as it can have very unfortunate consequences in any real-time game. Is there a way to prevent Updater from stealing focus or stop it from running while I'm playing games?

Tiriel Sensei, Jul 20, 2019
Thema:

A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to...

1. A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to... - Similar Threads - program stealing focus

2. Explorer.exe stealing focus and causing a mouse jumping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe stealing focus and causing a mouse jumping: Hi,I have Windows 10 on the all-in-one Lenovo PC, and I have been recently experiencing a serious problem which makes working on a computer impossible. While working on my computer, all of a sudden, my cursor jumps into the geometric middle of a taskbar, together with...
  3. Explorer.exe stealing focus and causing a mouse jumping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer.exe stealing focus and causing a mouse jumping: Hi,I have Windows 10 on the all-in-one Lenovo PC, and I have been recently experiencing a serious problem which makes working on a computer impossible. While working on my computer, all of a sudden, my cursor jumps into the geometric middle of a taskbar, together with...
  4. Explorer.exe stealing focus and causing a mouse jumping

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Programs launched with administrator rights are stealing focus from other windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs launched with administrator rights are stealing focus from other windows: I'm running Windows 11 22598.200, but this has been happening for longer, I don't know when it started. I'm pretty sure this is not expected behavior, right?Basically, anything launched as admin steals focus from everything else, so the only thing I can click on is that one...
  6. Programs launched with administrator rights are stealing focus from other windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs launched with administrator rights are stealing focus from other windows: I'm running Windows 11 22598.200, but this has been happening for longer, I don't know when it started. I'm pretty sure this is not expected behavior, right?Basically, anything launched as admin steals focus from everything else, so the only thing I can click on is that one...
  7. Focus stealing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Focus stealing: I have an application that has drop down menus for work. (like a status change from started to completed) And if I have the work application open, and I open any other application, Skype, Internet explorer, Chrome anything, AFTER the work app is running, I can no longer use...
  8. A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to...: Hi, For a rather long while now, I've been experiencing an issue where at random full-screen games will simply minimize. It happens once, then a few moments later, it happens again (if I immediately refocus the game/program I was using). This is so incredibly irritating....
  9. Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing: This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a registry you could edit to disable this I believe, but was removed for Windows 7(?) and apparently editing it (I've read [1])...
  10. Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?: Windows 10 programs steal focus, a way to prevent from doing? Also what is the point? Does it serve a good purpose that I just don't see? *Confused 55662