Windows 10: A Program wont install to E drive

Discus and support A Program wont install to E drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have my Windows 10 on a 120 Gb HD and then a 2Tb HDD for data where I install my programs. When installing a program I therefore make sure change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by woldsweather, Jan 22, 2017.

1. A Program wont install to E drive

I have my Windows 10 on a 120 Gb HD and then a 2Tb HDD for data where I install my programs. When installing a program I therefore make sure change the C an E. One program I am trying to install still goes on C despite me selecting and it showing it had accepted E. How an I force it o go t E? I ju don't have the space on the C dive.

:)

woldsweather, Jan 22, 2017

2. Clean Install: Programs On A Different HardDrive

So to confirm, I have a harddrive split into E (Install) and F (Data) I can format the E drive wiping it completely without causing any impact to the F drive?

This wont leave any strange shreds of programs or anything for me to deal with, right?

And the space should be totally free, unlike before when I deleted several GBs manually and the free space on the drive didn't increase?

Thank you guys for your prompt responses!

AllNamesAreTaken2, Jan 22, 2017
  3. Removed hard drive, now a program won't install neither uninstall

Hello there people !

As the title says i have a issue with a program, in this case the program is VirtualBox.

"VirtualBox-5.0.6-103037-Win.exe" to be exact.

So i had VirtualBox installed on my drive Q:\ .

And so without uninstalling the programs i had in there i removed the HDD(Q:\) from my computer.

Realized i still needed VirtualBox so i downloaded the install and tried to install it.

To my surprise it alarms me saying "Invalid Drive: Q:\" and after clicking OK it sends me off to a premature finish of the install.

Giving me further a further error window once clicking finish.

In Programs and Functions it just says yet again "Invalid Drive Q:\" when i try to uninstall it.

Usually the Windows 10, works it's magic and manages to remove programs anyway so i can install them once again. But not this time.

This is what I've done to try fix it:

• Tried CCleaner's uninstall, delete, registry cleaner and the basic cleaner feature, nothing does the job.

Delete -> "Cannot delete MSI installer."

Uninstall -> "Invalid Drive: Q:\"
    • Got sent into a thread here about using subst Q: C:\ in CMD as admin. Still no progress on the issue.

I'm guessing something is broken in the registry and i don't know how that works so please help me.

My regards Crill

Christian Sjöström, Jan 22, 2017
  4. Stevekir Win User

A Program wont install to E drive

I found this only once, when installing Adobe InDesign CS6. Photoshop CS6 installed on my internal rotating HD but Indesign refused. I assumed that was because InDesign, being a complex program, needed to go on to the C drive, which is where I had to install it.

Stevekir, Jan 23, 2017
  5. I have recently re-installed windows and I have done so several times and always had this program on the E drive.

woldsweather, Jan 23, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    What is "this program"? Usually helps to know as other of us Volunteers may have come across the same problem. I've not yet had issues installing third-party programs on the second partition [D:\Data]. Several versions ago Microsoft Office insisted upon being on the same partition as Windows so I haven't tempted fate with changing that.

Berton, Jan 23, 2017
  7. eddie563 Win User
    to save you changing the options everytime and wont matter what application it is, why not after the OS is installed, go into the registry, create a backup *Wink and change the default locations for the ProgramFilesDir and its (x86) counterpart. never have this problem again as when prompting it will offer you that as its picked up in the registry.

you can search for those reg keys in regedit.

normal disclaimers as usual, do it at your own risk as if it breaks your PC the world may stop spinning

eddie563, Jan 23, 2017
  8. A Program wont install to E drive

I have tried that but internet explorer doesn't work then windows looks for it in E:. where I don't believ I can install it? I presume any other Microsoft program would look in E: too?
    The program I am trying to install is Memory-Map.

woldsweather, Jan 23, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    The issue with IE probably is because, like many things that come with Windows, it is closely tied in with File Explorer [and the older Windows Explorer].

Memory-Map could be in the same situation, maybe similar to printers needing to be installed on the Windows partition/drive.

Berton, Jan 23, 2017
  10. No because I have installed it to drive E (the same installation file stored on my HD) several times.

woldsweather, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

A Program wont install to E drive

1. A Program wont install to E drive - Similar Threads - Program wont install

2. Move the installed program for D drive to E drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move the installed program for D drive to E drive: Hello everyone,I installed some software on my D drive, however, now my C drive is full, and I want to extend it.That's why I need to move the data from my D drive to other drive, so I will have more space to extend the C drive.If the data inside the D drive is the normal...
  3. Move the installed program for D drive to E drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move the installed program for D drive to E drive: Hello everyone,I installed some software on my D drive, however, now my C drive is full, and I want to extend it.That's why I need to move the data from my D drive to other drive, so I will have more space to extend the C drive.If the data inside the D drive is the normal...
  4. Move the installed program for D drive to E drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Trying to uninstall a program " Invalid drive E:/"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to uninstall a program " Invalid drive E:/": I was trying to uninstall a program "specially epic games launcher" and it keeps giving me " Invalid drive E:/" I just have recently switched my drives over from 700 GB to 2 TB on my old drives it was "E" and now my two drives are "D" and "C" please any help!!! I've...
  6. Program wont install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Program wont install: So yesterday I was playing this game and for some reason when the opening video played but then the game just crashed. So I just decided to delete all the files and uninstall the program. I went to uninstall it and it said the picture below. So I got some help from this games...
  7. windows wont allow programs to be installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows wont allow programs to be installed: Really quite fed up after 4 hours trying to get programs to install on new laptop with windows 10. Each time I try and run the install prompted with "the system and has set policies to prevent the installation of this program" I have tried following instructions to turn off...
  8. windows wont allow programs to be installed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows wont allow programs to be installed: Really quite fed up after 4 hours trying to get programs to install on new laptop with windows 10. Each time I try and run the install prompted with "the system and has set policies to prevent the installation of this program" I have tried following instructions to turn off...
  9. Cannot install program, "Error 1327:Invalid Drive: E:\"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install program, "Error 1327:Invalid Drive: E:\": Hello, When I try to install LibreOffice I receive this error message: "Error 1327:Invalid Drive: E:" The problem arose in these circumstances: LibreOffice had been installed on a microSD card and was functioning normally. One day on attempting to open it I got the above...
  10. Cannot install program, "Error 1327:Invalid Drive: E:\"

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot install program, "Error 1327:Invalid Drive: E:\": Hello, When I try to install LibreOffice I receive this error message: "Error 1327:Invalid Drive: E:" The problem arose in these circumstances: LibreOffice had been installed on a microSD card and was functioning normally. One day on attempting to open it I got the above...