Windows 10: A query regarding Win7 upgrade to Win10

Discus and support A query regarding Win7 upgrade to Win10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Thanks to reading the various messages on this excellent forum I've cleared up some initial queries. I'm one of those folk who availed of the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gusgf, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Gusgf Win User

A query regarding Win7 upgrade to Win10

Thanks to reading the various messages on this excellent forum I've cleared up some initial queries. I'm one of those folk who availed of the free upgrade to Win10 Pro from Win7 Pro. Reassuredly I've read on here that doing a clean install of Win10 from a downloaded ISO (I'll be making a Win10 bootable USB) on the same machine won't be a problem because of the digital license which contains a digital footprint of my hardware (MB I presume). Hence no product key will be required.

But I still have these questions

1. Is the original Win7 Pro installation (I upgraded from) product key now still usable for an install on another device?

2. If I sell my computer I assume the digital license travels with the computer since its' not tied to the owner or their microsoft account?

Thanks

:)

Gusgf, Mar 7, 2017

2. Windows 10 Home fresh install blue screens, Windows program failure and 3rd party program crashes.

To your latest reply, please read my previous response to your earlier reply if you didn't.

So you're saying it might have something to specifically with Win10 Home?

Just so that we are not talking about two different things here, when my computer worked, I had upgraded from Win7 Enterprise to Win10pro. The USB boot drive from which I installed Win7 Enterprise contained Windows 7 and not Windows 10. The upgrade to Win10
    was done with Win7 still installed, which it replaced. It wasn't a clean boot from another USB or DVD containing Win10 install files. I never upgraded or downgraded after I had upgraded and installed Win10 from Win7.

Or are you saying that Win7 enterprise should have automatically updated my OS to Win10 Enterprise and not Win10 Pro? I made no changes to my computer regarding the OS after I had upgraded from Win7 Enterprise.

jesper ojala, Mar 7, 2017
  3. How to change the storage options in windows 10

Hello,

Same here.

Just upgraded Win7 to Win10, and my D: isn't available....just C:

Regards

RF

RicardoFeliciano, Mar 7, 2017
  4. A query regarding Win7 upgrade to Win10

1. Yes it is.

2. The product key will travel together with the system if not linked with the email or microsoft account

RoasterMen, Mar 7, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    1. Probably not if it is the OEM version of Win7, tied to the computer it came with. The Retail/Upgrade version can be installed on a Replacement computer but not both at the same time.

Berton, Mar 7, 2017
  6. Gusgf Win User
    Oh it probably is.
    I will certainly give it a try!

How would I be able to check this?

Gusgf, Mar 7, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Not legally unless it is a retail product key and the Windows is removed from the previous computer(s) it was installed on.
    @Gusgf,
    Nothing changes regarding the Windows 7 product key just because it was used to upgrade to Windows 10. All of the legal terms and conditions applying to that product key still apply. Unless you have a special license, one license (product key) for Windows = 1 legal installation of Windows at a time. You started with 1 license for Windows so that is what you are legally entitled to - 1 installed and activated copy of Windows. That can be Windows 7 or Windows 10 - not both (but you can switch between the two as much as you want). It can be moved from computer to computer, if it was a retail product key, but cannot be on two computers at the same time.

In the case of selling the computer you have two choices:
    1. You can sell it with Windows installed on it. In that situation the buyer also buys your license for Windows with the computer and you cannot legally reuse that license after you sell it. If the Windows on that computer was from an OEM license, you MUST sell the license to Windows with the computer.

2. If the Windows on that computer was from a retail license, then you can uninstall Windows and sell just the computer itself without a Windows license and you can retain your license for Windows to reuse on your own compute.

Now, in situation #2 there will be a digital license for that computer stored on Microsoft activation servers. That is not your problem and there is nothing you can do about it. Once you physically remove the Windows installation from that computer you have met all of your obligations to reuse the retail license for Windows on a different computer.

You can use showkey plus from this forum to find out what version a product key is for and if it is OEM or Retail.
    ShowKeyPlus

NavyLCDR, Mar 7, 2017
  8. Gusgf Win User

Okay so legally the Win7 product which was upgraded to Win10 is regarded as a single Windows license and can only exist on one machine at a time in the guise of Win7 or Win10.

Okay wasn't aware of this legality or hadn't considered it.
    Great, will give that a try *Smile

Thanks for the knowledge.

Gusgf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A query regarding Win7 upgrade to Win10 - Similar Threads - query regarding Win7

2. Query regarding upgrade to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Query regarding upgrade to Windows 11.: PC health check is showing that my laptop is not compatible with windows 11 stating that my processor IntelR CoreTM i5-7200U is not supported. But this processor is present in 'Windows Processor Requirements' list. Why this has happened?Device name: DESKTOP-JPER3FH Processor:...
  3. Query regarding upgrade to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Query regarding upgrade to Windows 11.: PC health check is showing that my laptop is not compatible with windows 11 stating that my processor IntelR CoreTM i5-7200U is not supported. But this processor is present in 'Windows Processor Requirements' list. Why this has happened?Device name: DESKTOP-JPER3FH Processor:...
  4. Query regarding upgrade to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Query regarding upgrade to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Win7 regards.

Win7 regards.: Microsoft should reconsider selling win7 officially again now.... Because, it is the best windows version and many are in need of that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win7-regards/5286277a-2be7-457a-a849-7a23bc7a019f
  7. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  8. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  9. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  10. Urgent Query regarding windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Urgent Query regarding windows upgrade: i have recently installed fresh windows 7 sp1 on my lappy and registered it and installed all updates etc. but i dont want to stay on 7 rather i want to upgrade to windows 8.1 so can i do it? How ? or should i have to wait for windows 10 upgrade available on 29 july ??...