Windows 10: A question about digital licenses

Discus and support A question about digital licenses in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey, If I activate Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with a digital license linked to account, why am I able to retain Windows 10 Pro if I reset the laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/brybery21, Nov 8, 2020.

1. A question about digital licenses

Hey,

If I activate Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with a digital license linked to account, why am I able to retain Windows 10 Pro if I reset the laptop and use the generic windows key for pro? Is Windows Pro baked in to the motherboard?

Thanks

submitted by /u/brybery21
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/brybery21, Nov 8, 2020

2. Digital license

Thats how licensing works with Windows 10, the digital license is attached to your Microsoft Account and makes it easy to reactivate Windows 10 in the event you reinstall it.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Digital license bind question

Because you refer to a digitally licensed laptop in your first sentence which apparently isn't involved in the swap between two other PC's discussed in the next sentence?

I've amended my suggestions above.

Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 8, 2020
  4. Ryan Fra Win User

A question about digital licenses

Digital license question

Hi,

To answer your question about Digital License. Yes, you can still go back to Windows 10 using the Digital License since it will be embedded to the motherboard of your computer.

Please refer to this Wiki Article for more information about
    Windows 10 Digital License.

Let us know if you need further help.

Ryan Fra, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

A question about digital licenses

1. A question about digital licenses - Similar Threads - question digital licenses

2. A question about licenses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A question about licenses: Well I do often format my pc when needed ( long time no clean for example ) or when i change a core Pc component like motherboard or CPU. This time i haven't formatted my pc but changed motherboard and cpu and seems that suddenly that i do not own a windows license because...
  3. digital license question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    digital license question: Hello! I asked this question yesterday but now can't seem to reply in the same thread to ask for clarification. Sorry to clutter this forum.I purchased a 11 pro digital license through the Microsoft store to upgrade a work computer computer 1. However, I was foolish and...
  4. digital license question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    digital license question: Hello! I asked this question yesterday but now can't seem to reply in the same thread to ask for clarification. Sorry to clutter this forum.I purchased a 11 pro digital license through the Microsoft store to upgrade a work computer computer 1. However, I was foolish and...
  5. About digital license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    About digital license.: I've got a digital license for windows 10 for fully free! I got it by troubleshooting. After this activation with the troubleshooter at activation in settings, I never had to activate my windows again. Even I don't know what is my activation key? When I saw it, I was totally...
  6. Question about digital license

Question about digital license: Hello, so recently I decided to upgrade a 4 year old pre-built PC my brother gave me last year. I plan on changing almost every part on the PC(including the motherboard.) I was able to link my Microsoft account to the digital license. My concern is, since it was a pre-built,...
  7. Digital License Question

Digital License Question: My brand new laptop comes with Windows 10 Pro Education edition which is activated with a digital license. I was able to retrieve the license using the CMD, but my question is, if I change the license to Windows 10 Pro edition, will I be able to roll back to Education...
  8. About Digital License

About Digital License: So i have linked my windows 10 with my microsoft account. But I want to reinstall the windows 10 on same hardware so for that i want to see which version of windows 10 is linked to my account Pro, Home, Education, Enterprise? how should I know which one is linked to mine?...
  9. Question about digital licences

Question about digital licences: I was wondering how digital licences work in this scenario: PC1 has W10 activated with microsoft account (digital licence tied to account) with harware info from PC1 on the server. First question: Can I remove the microsoft account used to activate Windows? If so, what...
  10. Questions About My Digital License and Microsoft Account

Questions About My Digital License and Microsoft Account: Greetings, I hope everyone is well. I have a 2 part question and problem I originally purchased a new computer 2 years ago with windows 7 around the time I purchased windows 7 microsoft was offering a free update to windows 10, which I took advantage of and upgraded....