Windows 10: A question about file systems on C drive partitions

Discus and support A question about file systems on C drive partitions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A while back I was surprised to see 13 partitions on the C drive of my small hybrid device, but I was devised it was not uncommon or a problem. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CountMike, Apr 5, 2018.

1. CountMike New Member

A question about file systems on C drive partitions

Just to clear it up. C: is not a drive but just one of partitions on a physical drive where OS is located.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
  2. clayto Win User

A while back I was surprised to see 13 partitions on the C drive of my small hybrid device, but I was devised it was not uncommon or a problem. I have just noticed (using Speccy) that some partitions have NTFS while others have FAT and FAT 32. I was expecting them to be all NTFS. Is there anything significant in this? One effect I guess is that my excellent search app, Everything, which only works with NTFS is in fact not displaying everything on the drive, as it will be omitting whatever is on the FAT partitions.

:)

clayto, Apr 17, 2018
  3. Rudolfos0 Win User
    Will "Reset this PC" option in a computer with a primary drive (C) and a secondary drive (D) erase the file ONLY in drive C OR drive C and D?

you didn't answer his question about partitions.(no one is answering questions directly here, just some pointless information) are they going to be deleted all of them or only C partition is going to be reset? I have the same problem my C disk is currently
    in RAW file system and I have a backup partition D so how can i reset only C partition?

Rudolfos0, Apr 17, 2018
  4. A question about file systems on C drive partitions

Activating a GPT Partition

On a Lenovo IdeaPad Ultra Book, I installed a used drive that was working OK and installed Windows 10. After using it for a short time, I noticed that the C: Drive, Disk 0 , and I copied the files from Drive C from the only partition on the disk to a much
    larger partition on Logical Disk 1, which is currently Drive D. In order to complete a move to Drive D, in Diskpart, I typed the command "ACTIVE" without the quotes. and get a message that this can't be done with a GTP partition. My question is how to I
    activate the new partition as the boot drive?

Just for clarity:

Logical Disk 0
    Logical Disk 1
    Logical Drive 1
    Logical Drive 1
    Logical Drive 1

Partition 1
    Partition 1
    Partition 2
    Partition 3
    Partition 4

C Drive /
    System/ Disk D
    Reserved
    Primary
    Primary /Disk F

moved to files, folders and storage

JohnEJBeale, Apr 17, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    Seeing extra partitions on a drive is not unusual but it frequently will number about 4 or 5. I haven't had to work with a hybrid drive yet. Many of us do not recommend messing with the extra partitions as they usually are created by the initial Windows installation, or a reinstall. FAT formatting hasn't been used in awhile and FAT32 can be necessary to the bootup/startup of the OS/Operating System and those partitions usually don't have a drive letter assigned which in turn limits what programs can or need to use them so that shouldn't be a worry. All the programs I've used didn't care about FAT32 or NTFS except when needing to work with a file size of 4GB or more, FAT32 has a limit of 4GB minus about 1 or 2 Bytes.

Berton, Apr 17, 2018
  6. Try3 Win User
    I can also see 13 partitions on a computer that can boot into Windows & Android.

Most of the partitions are created by & used by Android.

Your Windows applications cannot see the Android partitions anyway [with the exception of such things as Speccy & partition managers] so your search application would not find anything on the Android partitions whichever file system they used.

Denis

Thema:

A question about file systems on C drive partitions

1. A question about file systems on C drive partitions - Similar Threads - question file systems

2. Question about C: drive is full

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about C: drive is full: I have a Dell computer with an SSD drive and 1T HD. I was just reading this post from Feb 2020 and need some help with the same issue as the poster from this thread had. This is the thread I am referring...
  3. Question about C: drive is full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about C: drive is full: I have a Dell computer with an SSD drive and 1T HD. I was just reading this post from Feb 2020 and need some help with the same issue as the poster from this thread had. This is the thread I am referring...
  4. Question about C: drive is full

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Question about deleting a partition.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about deleting a partition.: [ATTACH] For some reason MSI made two partition on the 500GB M.2 SSD on my GS65 (drive C for Windows and D for Data). I recently added a 1TB nvme to the laptop and was wondering if it was ok for me to delete Drive D so that there are only 2 partitions on my laptop. I'm not...
  6. Question about recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about recovery partition: OneKey Recovery no longer works on my laptop, presumably because of a clean install, so I'm planning to start using Macrium Reflect. There's a hidden partition called "PRB_DRV". How can I tell whether it's safe to delete this partition? 131144
  7. Question about drive partition ~ see image

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about drive partition ~ see image: Can someone please look at the below hard drive partitions and tell me what the 12.6 GB partition 5 is and if its needed? Can I combine it with partition 3? Thanks for your help [img] 107112
  8. Question about partition on my main drive

Question about partition on my main drive: I got this drive image from my Macrium Reflect Home edition and don't understand the last partition? is there something wrong here? Thanks! *Smile 56307
  9. A Couple Questions About Partitions

A Couple Questions About Partitions: Hello forum, I'm a bit of a newbie as far as computers go. I've had this rig currently for about a year and am always messing with it to learn more about computers as I consider it a hobby and learning experience. Today I decided to take a look at the current disk situation...
  10. a question about partitions

a question about partitions: [img] I would like 2 know if its possible to some how reclaim the unallocated space and merge it back with C: windows drive... I know disk management wont allow it because the unallocated space isn't adjacent to the main partition... the 2 smaller recovery partitions...