Windows 10: a question about going from win8.1 to win10

Discus and support a question about going from win8.1 to win10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; tldr: im worried about losing my windows 8.1 key incase i dont like windows 10. so i have this computer running windows 8.1, what i want to do is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pyr0kid, Sep 13, 2020.

1. a question about going from win8.1 to win10

tldr: im worried about losing my windows 8.1 key incase i dont like windows 10.

so i have this computer running windows 8.1, what i want to do is upgrade it to windows 10 without upgrading the key to windows 10 (i think thats how it works) so that i can go back to windows 8.1 if i dont like windows 10.

so my question is: can this be done, and if so how can i do it?

worth noting: i didnt set up this computer and generally dont know shit about windows, i do still have the copy of windows 8.1 sitting in a box somewhere.

submitted by /u/pyr0kid
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pyr0kid, Sep 13, 2020
  2. YOU
    You Win User

Thinking about Going back to Win8.1

If want to disable IE, still can. However, can't uninstall it like were able to in XP/98/whatever.
    Here's how, although I find it useful in case Chrome or Firefox stops working and have to re-download it. *Wink
    1. Search for turn windows features on or off and click it in the search results.
    • a question about going from win8.1 to win10 [​IMG]
    2. When the app opens, uncheck Internet Explorer 11.

3. Click Yes on the warning dialog.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Restart for the changes to finish.

3. Winuser Win User
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

When MS released Windows 8 they should have given user the choice between the Start Menu and the Start screen.

Winuser, Sep 13, 2020
  4. BunnyJ Win User

a question about going from win8.1 to win10

Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

Question,.,, how is Win10 a backward step?? You do lose the start screen but there was an outcry when the start menu disappeared in Win8/Win8.1..

BunnyJ, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

a question about going from win8.1 to win10

1. a question about going from win8.1 to win10 - Similar Threads - question going win8

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Question about win10 license

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about win10 license: Hello. I just bought myself a copy of Win10 Home. Shortly after I was told that it was a waste of money because Windows 10 is free. I can see that on Microsoft's site there's a download for it, but is it something you still need to purchase a key for to activate? I am a...
  5. Question about win10 security features

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about win10 security features: Cheers! A simple question: Provided I have a PIN set during the setup of my win10 OS on my desktop, is there ever a situation where the OS requires me to type in my Microsoft account password also created during setup as the OS demanded it. If there is such a case, is there...
  6. A Question about BitLocker to Go function

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A Question about BitLocker to Go function: Hello. I'd like to encrypt my flash drive using BitLocker. I believe in order for me to access my files on another machine, it has to run Window of course and a version that supports BitLocker. My flash drive is 32Gb. What else should I keep in mind before encrypting it? Any...
  7. Question About My Win10 Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question About My Win10 Key: Hello everyone. I bough my Windows 10 key online a year ago and because of a video I have watched recently I wanted to search the key online to see if there are any results. It turns out someone managed to steal my key to publish it for free on the internet.I want to try...
  8. 1 issue and 1 question about Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1 issue and 1 question about Windows 10: Hello there, I go by WolfHybrid23 on most places, I'm trying to setup my company Wolf Game Studios, I have an issue and a question retaining to the same subject... I am trying to become a self host for my website, But in order to do that I need to factory reset a previous...
  9. Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions: Hi, I'm currently having a weird activation problem with Windows 10, and I was considering reverting to Windows 8 and start the process again to see if that would fix things. I tried to use the 'revert to previous build' but it said it couldn't locate the required files or...
  10. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.: "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files but keeping settings/apps intact, or removing both files and apps/settings (the old Reset This PC). After you make this first...