Windows 10: A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

Discus and support A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Scyris, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Scyris Win User

A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also after I get the net back, can I disable/remove the local acct and go with my main one again? I don't wanna end up with a pc I can't use for a day and a half. Thanks all.

:)

Scyris, Feb 22, 2021
  2. NickTh Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

I think you can take extra mesurments like two-step authentication, but as you said, using an MS Acct needs you to be more carefull than a local one.

NickTh, Feb 22, 2021
  3. mrgeek Win User

You don't need an internet connection to sign-in with your MS acct. It just won't sync your settings with other devices, like another pc or phone, access your Rewards or Privacy settings, etc. Also, if you use Onedrive, you'll only have access to your local files already on your device.
    You can also switch to a Local Acct thru Settings/Accounts/Your info easily enough but it will not do anything that your normal signin w/o internet can and sounds like you're not keeping it anyway, so don't bother.

mrgeek, Feb 22, 2021
  4. badrobot Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

Somehow they still manage to get your feedbacks and pop up questions even on local account. I think there's a program within 10 that detects how frequently you click on something and pop questions about it. Then at the bottom there"s a link for "Send us more feedbacks" (or something to that effect) to get you to logon on your MS acct.

badrobot, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

1. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it. - Similar Threads - question local account

2. Trying to switch from MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to switch from MS account to local account: On my Win10 (20H2) laptop, I went to Settings, Account, Your Info. My info shows my Gmail email account name and below that it says, "Switch to a local account" (this is what I want to do) So far so good. When I click to switch to local account, my Gmail account login shows...
  3. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  4. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  5. Can't switch from local to MS account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't switch from local to MS account: I am trying to switch from my local account back to my Microsoft account. Yes, back to it; it worked fine before I used the local account to troubleshoot some setting issues. I filled in my password and it said it's wrong. I verified by logging in to my MS account online...
  6. Switch from MS to local account Win10 pro

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switch from MS to local account Win10 pro: I have win 10 pro instllation set to login with Microsoft Account use for Office 365. I want to switch it to local account, and link with Microsoft Account, but I cannot find a way to do that....
  7. local account unable to switch to MS account

local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  8. local account unable to switch to MS account

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  9. Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions

Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions: Hi, Ive just switched from signing in to my laptop with a Microsoft Account to signing in with a Local Account instead. My laptop was always listed as a Device on the opening screen along with a map showing its location when I looked in my Microsoft Account. Under Devices I...
  10. MS Acct vs Local acct

in Windows 10 Support
    MS Acct vs Local acct: I see posts referencing local account and can't wrap my head around why users are opting for a local acct. *Huh I have several machines running on a home network, all with an MS account, and all log in without a password. What's not to like *Huh Why is a local...