Windows 10: A question about the prefetch files

Discus and support A question about the prefetch files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What happens when you remove the prefetch files? Does this cause the system to stop? 94945 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RoyaltyCity, Oct 5, 2017.

1. A question about the prefetch files

What happens when you remove the prefetch files?
    Does this cause the system to stop?

:)

RoyaltyCity, Oct 5, 2017

2. query about "temp", "%temp%", "prefetch" files delete

You can remove them by running a disk cleanup and including the system files

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 5, 2017
  3. query about "temp", "%temp%", "prefetch" files delete

Can I delete "temp", "%temp%", "prefetch" files in windows 10. If yes so please guide me the proper step

Surajit Sarkar, Oct 5, 2017
  4. A question about the prefetch files

No.
    Anyway, there's no reason to remove them.

margrave55, Oct 5, 2017
  5. dmholt57 Win User
    Prefetch is meant to speed up your system by not having to spin your hard drive to find instructions for the most used programs. Deleting the Prefetch makes the machine have to read the disk to find the instructions and rewrite them to the Prefetch.

dmholt57, Oct 5, 2017
  6. FerchogtX Win User
    No, but you can cause slowdowns, specially during boot time and startup of applications.

The Prefetch folder stores files that allow Windows to start programs and the OS itself faster, by partially loading them into the RAM, unless you are having problems with boot times, you uninstalled something heavy or need a deep cleanup after months of use, I woudn't suggest touching that folder, that can hurt your system's performance.

Just to add a little line, this aplies in a similar fashion for people trying to disable the Superfetch service, that dramatically slows down your system... better not to touch anything related.

Cya!

FerchogtX, Oct 5, 2017
  7. djfaz Win User
    It will not cause the system to stop, but it may cause it to slow down slightly. Generally they are considered unnecessary with an SSD since the SSD is generally much faster than a mechanical drive and you can happily disable them both.

djfaz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

A question about the prefetch files

1. A question about the prefetch files - Similar Threads - question prefetch files

2. File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch: Salve, vorrei chiedervi se per caso esiste un metodo, incluso in Windows, per controllare i file recentemente cancellati dal prefetch. Grazie in anticipo. Hi, I would like to ask you if by chance there is a method, included in Windows, to check recently deleted files from...
  3. File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch: Salve, vorrei chiedervi se per caso esiste un metodo, incluso in Windows, per controllare i file recentemente cancellati dal prefetch. Grazie in anticipo. Hi, I would like to ask you if by chance there is a method, included in Windows, to check recently deleted files from...
  4. File eliminati dal prefetch / Files deleted from the prefetch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Prefetch File Retention

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prefetch File Retention: In the Windows 10 environment, do prefetch files within C:\Windows\Prefetch\ automatically get deleted over time even if the quantity in the folder does not exceed the 1024 limit? If yes, is there a specific criteria for prefetch file deletion? e.g., X amount of time? X...
  6. Question About a File in Windows

Question About a File in Windows: I Found A file in C/users/<username>/appdata/local named recently-used.xbel Whats This Can u please tell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-a-file-in-windows/e9500079-af96-4dda-88a4-0483da26e62c
  7. Prefetch files

Prefetch files: Yesterday i accidently deleted prefetch files from my computer and i recovered them by restoring them from my recycle bin is that okay ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/prefetch-files/7f919965-092d-47ed-951f-537c167eb1cd
  8. Prefetch Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Prefetch Files: My Windows 10 was extremely slow and I tried everything to make it faster. I was told NOT to delete the prefetch files BUT never the less I tried and like magic, my Windows 10 was at least a dozen times faster. I did find that the startup was slower but the fact that it ran...
  9. Prefetch Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prefetch Question: Have a file in my prefetch I can find no info on. "dynrespri.7db" Anyone know what this associates with? Thanks. 44686
  10. Question about file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about file explorer: Have recently opgraded from Windows 7 to windows 10. Most works fine, except the new file explorer. When I open a map, in the navigation panel on the left side, I have a list of maps, files, quick access, libraries, network links, recent maps and files etc etc. What I...