Windows 10: A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

Discus and support A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience. When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by VirtL, Mar 11, 2020.

1. VirtL Win User

A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience.

When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder

to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data ON-THE-FLY, and

then re-compress it again towards the destination ?

OR, does it leave it compressed and copy the data AS-IS ?

The logic here is that if it is going from one compressed folder to another compressed folder,

then there is no need to decompress it "in the middle" of the process.

Just wondering. :

:)

VirtL, Mar 11, 2020

2. No option to compress folder

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience and we will surely help you to resolve the issue.

1. How exactly are you trying to compress the folder?

Follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Locate the file or folder that you want to compress.

2. Right-click the file or folder, point to Send to, and then click Compressed (zipped) folder.

A new compressed folder is created in the same location. To rename it, right-click the folder, click Rename, and then type the new name.

If the issue persists then Perform
    System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

SFC scan:

1. Press Windows logo + X.

2. Select command prompt admin.

3. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ (without quotes) and press enter.

4. Restart your computer.

Refer link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Suvarna Govinda, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Copying Compressed Files

Yes, that is the way ntfs file compression works. A compressed file is decompressed as it is read. If the folder it is being copied to is on an ntfs partition and is an ntfs compressed folder, then the file will be compressed as it is written. If the destination folder is not compressed, neither will the copied file be.

EXT4 is a file system used by Linux. Windows does not support EXT4. There are 3rd-party apps that allow Windows to read EXT4 drives, but they do not provide write access.

The only practical way to copy a file in compressed form is to put it into a .zip archive (or .7z, or .similar) before copying it across to another drive.

4. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

compressed Zip Folders

Hell What are zip compressed folder. Do photos file loss data when they are re-compressed)?

KathleenDonohueE5, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

1. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ? - Similar Threads - question copying files

2. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  3. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  4. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to compress folder

Unable to compress folder: While compressing the file this pop up coming. But if I'M giving yes another pop up coming. Here is the snap 2..Its happening after windows 10 update. Please help me to resolved this issue. Its drastically hampering my work....
  6. Copying file compresses it

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying file compresses it: I'm copying some jpg photo files from one folder to another on the same drive and instead of just copying it the system compresses it first then copies. Of course, it's now altered from the original file. What causes this behavior and can I stop it from happening? Thanks. Win...
  7. Copying Compressed Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Copying Compressed Files: Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I would like to use the compact command before copying files to an external drive. However, I've run into two problems: First, it seems that Windows automatically decompresses files before copying them, and tries...
  8. Copying Compressed Files

Copying Compressed Files: Greetings, I would like to use the compact command on my laptop, and then copy the file to an external hard drive. However, the external drive doesn't support NTFS. Will this cause any problems? I'm using the external drive as a backup, so I wouldn't try to uncompress it...
  9. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"
  10. delete compressed folder

delete compressed folder: compressed folder/file taking up 6 gigabytes of storage. Need to recover the 6 gigs. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-compressed-folder/cf72617a-0945-4941-935b-14d217f0e981"