Windows 10: A race condition issue while ping, IPv6 AAAA DNS, Error message: could not find host.

Discus and support A race condition issue while ping, IPv6 AAAA DNS, Error message: could not find host. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I'm finding that trying to ping even when using the -4 option is causing a problem because Windows simultaneously asks for both the IPv6 and IPv4... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zectbumo, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Zectbumo Win User

A race condition issue while ping, IPv6 AAAA DNS, Error message: could not find host.

Hi I'm finding that trying to ping even when using the -4 option is causing a problem because Windows simultaneously asks for both the IPv6 and IPv4 when trying to resolve a hostname with a local DNS. The parallel requests is causing a race condition where ping sometimes fails. When ping gets back the DNS "AAAA" it responds with "could not find host" failing immediately even though there is a valid "A" response for IPv4 in the following response. If the "A" record comes back before the "AAAA" record then the ping is successful otherwise I see a "could not find host". Thus the race condition. Is this going to be fixed? For now I solved this by turning off IPv6 on my router to prevent it responding to "AAAA" requests but this is not ideal.

***Modified Title from: ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error***

:)

Zectbumo, Feb 21, 2019

2. Unable to ping local host and network issues

Evening everyone,

I'm having issues trying to connect my computer to the internet. Originally the issue was that the Ethernet cable doesn't have a valid IP configuration. I then proceed to use Command Prompt to run <netsh winsock reset> and <netsh int ip reset>. The second command
    wasn't working correctly so I had to go into the registry to allow the command to work. Here's a general list of things I've done.
    • Diabled and enabled the adapter
    • Swapped ethernet cables
    • Tried different ports on router
    • Check to see if DHCP was enabled
    • Updated adapter drivers
    • Disabled all anti-virus and firewalls in safe mode to see if I can ping localhost

Here's where it gets interesting, I can't ping the local host. It gives me a "General Failure" comment. Now, I've gone ahead and set up a static IP address for my computer using Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8) but I still can't access the internet and regardless
    of what I do I can't ping the local host.

Window's diagnostic for my ethernet adapter is that it works but the DNS isn't working.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

johnny_rome, Feb 21, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    IPV6 Ping Not Working?

We are glad that you are now able to ping IPv6 addresses. Since your device issue is different from what is previously posted, we suggest that you post a new thread so other community members would be able to assist you.

Should you have further queries, feel free to post it.

Eric Ber, Feb 21, 2019
  4. vmelling Win User

A race condition issue while ping, IPv6 AAAA DNS, Error message: could not find host.

DNS errors - nslookup works but ping doesn't after Windows 10 upgrade

I have various dns issues in my browsers. In testing, I have discovered that nslookup ALWAYS works but ping doesn't.

There are older Google results that suggest disabling ipv6 - but there does not appear to be ipv4 in Windows 10

ipconfig /flushdns cleared the problem but then it came back and I don't want to be jumping into the command prompt every 5 minutes

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Vincent

vmelling, Feb 21, 2019
Thema:

1. A race condition issue while ping, IPv6 AAAA DNS, Error message: could not find host. - Similar Threads - race condition issue

2. aaaa

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    aaaa: Split from this thread. Then, if they don't sell the license, do they still require one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/aaaa/dd4f31f0-e6c3-4116-953e-034d69c37d06
  3. Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS: I manually set my DNS settings SETTINGS > NETWORK & INTERNET > ETHERNET > EDIT DNS SETTINGS. When I try to change my DNS Encryption for the Alternate IPv6, it is grayed out and "Unencrypted Only" is the default. After saving the settings, the manual changes reflect what I...
  4. Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS: I manually set my DNS settings SETTINGS > NETWORK & INTERNET > ETHERNET > EDIT DNS SETTINGS. When I try to change my DNS Encryption for the Alternate IPv6, it is grayed out and "Unencrypted Only" is the default. After saving the settings, the manual changes reflect what I...
  5. Update turned on IPv6? Broke DNS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update turned on IPv6? Broke DNS?: I came to my PC this morning and I couldn't connect to anything on the internet. After some checking, I discovered I could ping IP addresses, but DNS wasn't resolving. Checking my settings, I saw that IPv6 was turned on - I am not positive, but I THINK I had disabled that a...
  6. Could not ping any host on local network General Failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Could not ping any host on local network General Failure: Hi, This happen twice already and I could not find proper solution to fix this. The 1st time happened 4 months back where I could not ping any local host within the same subnet eg: my IP is 192.168.1.100 and I could not ping anyone in 192.168.1.x/24. Several post via google...
  7. about google dns and ping

about google dns and ping: hello can u tell me why when i tracert google dns 8.8.8.8 all of lines when root is going out from my country is like 80 ms but when i want to join any usa game server my ping is going up like 200 ms if pingtime is all about distance between ur place nd server place so why...
  8. ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error

ping -4 sends out an IPv6 AAAA DNS request causing a could not find host race condition error: Hi I'm finding that trying to ping even when using the -4 option is causing a problem because Windows simultaneously asks for both the IPv6 and IPv4 when trying to resolve a hostname with a local DNS. The parallel requests is causing a race condition where ping sometimes...
  9. DNS - host file

DNS - host file: Buenas noches (Good night): en el DNS de windows tengo lo siguiente (Into the DNS windows file I have this line): 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost Si aumentara (if I add this line): 127.0.0.1 miequipo ::1 miequipo al hacer ping a miequipo, debería...
  10. Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN

Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN: I just moved into my business partner's home office and I am trying to get Dev (computer #1, Win10 Pro) to see DbServer's (computer #2, also Win10 Pro) Postgres Database to no avail so far. He has a Comacast router which seems to be using using IPv6 primarily. When I go to...