Windows 10: A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)!

Discus and support A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In the last 2 months I've noticed one of my secondary internal drives starting to "dissappear". I can't seem to reproduce it on purpose but it has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by orlando1974, May 4, 2021.

1. A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)!

In the last 2 months I've noticed one of my secondary internal drives starting to "dissappear". I can't seem to reproduce it on purpose but it has happened enough times to have me concerned and hoping someone can help either solve or explain what might be happening. At first I thought it was sometimes after the computer had been put to sleep... but then I noticed other times where I actually heard the sound of the "disconnection". To fix the issue, I restart the PC. However, when I do, I usually see a message of WDI Resolution Host on the blue restart screen. No other drives have shown this problem, and I'd never had issues with this one before. This is a WD 5TB 7200RPM HDD drive (WD5001FZWX). Is the drive dying? (is that even possible or would it just stop working completely in one shot) Or could this be an issue with the controller? Kinda important to know because I dont want to spend a few hundred bucks to replace it if the issue is not the drive itself.. Any troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated! A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)! :)

:)

orlando1974, May 4, 2021
  2. Tenforo Active Member

A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)!

In the last 2 months I've noticed one of my secondary internal drives starting to "dissappear". I can't seem to reproduce it on purpose but it has happened enough times to have me concerned and hoping someone can help either solve or explain what might be happening. At first I thought it was sometimes after the computer had been put to sleep... but then I noticed other times where I actually heard the sound of the "disconnection".

To fix the issue, I restart the PC.
    However, when I do, I usually see a message of WDI Resolution Host on the blue restart screen.

No other drives have shown this problem, and I'd never had issues with this one before.

This is a WD 5TB 7200RPM HDD drive (WD5001FZWX).

A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)! [​IMG]

Is the drive dying? (is that even possible or would it just stop working completely in one shot)
    Or could this be an issue with the controller?
    Kinda important to know because I dont want to spend a few hundred bucks to replace it if the issue is not the drive itself..

Any troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated! A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)! :)

Tenforo, May 5, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User

Thank you for your reply. That looks encouraging.

Disconnect/reconnect if it's connected by a cable.
    Replace the cable and see if there's any change.
    Assuming it's connected by a cable, that is.
    See:
    HDD keeps disconnecting | Tom's Hardware Forum

Event viewer: you're looking for events around the time this happens. Note the time, look for a report - critical/error...

Nirsoft's fulleventlogview (free) is easier to use than the categorised Event Viewer as it presents a linear list.

dalchina, May 5, 2021
  4. A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)!

Seems fine doesn't it?

In terms of reseating, we are talking about just physically removing the cable and reinserting it?

How do I inspect the event viewer for "related reports"? This sounds like new territory for me...

orlando1974, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. A secondary internal drive is starting to dissappear (until restart)! - Similar Threads - secondary internal drive

2. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared: Two of my internal drives COMPLETELY dissappeared from my new laptop. They were there one day, and then they just weren't! They didn't have anything in them as I just got it two days ago as a hand-me-down from a friend. Evem after I factory reset the whole laptop, they're...
  3. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared: Two of my internal drives COMPLETELY dissappeared from my new laptop. They were there one day, and then they just weren't! They didn't have anything in them as I just got it two days ago as a hand-me-down from a friend. Evem after I factory reset the whole laptop, they're...
  4. Two Internal Hard Drives completely dissappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My secondary HDD disappears until i restart my laptop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My secondary HDD disappears until i restart my laptop.: Helloi have an Asus laptop that comes in with a 1 tb HDD drive and i recently bought an ssd 240 gb and replaced the dvd drive with a rack for the hdd so i can boot the system on the ssd and use the hdd for storage i'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with that.everything...
  6. My secondary HDD disappears until i restart my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My secondary HDD disappears until i restart my laptop.: Helloi have an Asus laptop that comes in with a 1 tb HDD drive and i recently bought an ssd 240 gb and replaced the dvd drive with a rack for the hdd so i can boot the system on the ssd and use the hdd for storage i'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with that.everything...
  7. My secondary HDD disappears until i restart my laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set internal secondary HDD as a removable drive: Hi, I want the secondary HDD in my laptop to be recognised as removable. This way I hope that the drive can automatically spin down without ever being spun up for no apparent reason by the OS, if set to something like quick removal which should disable write caching on the...
  9. Internal secondary hard drive not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal secondary hard drive not recognised: After fitting SSD (C: drive) to my Win10 machine I connected the old hard drive as a secondary storage drive. Win10 does not "see" it! But Belarc Adviser "sees" the hard drive! How to force Win 10 to recognise the secondary drive? Simple steps please for a non-techie....
  10. Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive: I have a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64. I upgraded my 500GB internal secondary drive to a 1TB drive. I did not do a quick format of this new 1TB but rather did the full, longer format. The new, upgraded 1TB secondary drive was made active and assigned...