Windows 10: A shift key press can't type some letter.

Discus and support A shift key press can't type some letter. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; when i press left shift key some letter it doesn't work example : w, r, u, i, [, ], z, b, n, enter it hard when i play game that have to press w +... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PeaKunG, Sep 15, 2021.

1. PeaKunG Win User

A shift key press can't type some letter.

when i press left shift key some letter it doesn't work example : w, r, u, i, [, ], z, b, n, enter it hard when i play game that have to press w + shift to run or somethingBUT! when i press both of shift key i can type W, R, U, I, {, }and when i press right shift key it can type Z, B, N, enterit look quit weird have anyone can solve it please? I want to type every letter in a one shift key like normally thankful

:)

PeaKunG, Sep 15, 2021
  2. spunk Win User

Possible to make shift key stick until letter is pressed?

It;s a bit cumbersome, but if you open the OnScreen Keyboard and press the Shift key, highlighting it, and type a letter on the OSK or on your keyboard, it will type the letter in Upper Case and then go back to Lower Case for any remaining letters you type. Of course, you could just press the Caps Lock key on your keyboard, type a letter and then turn Caps Lock Off for the remaining letters, just as well.

spunk, Sep 15, 2021
  3. MiSt77 Win User
    Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Sep 15, 2021
  4. Dasha Win User

Cant use the Shift Key to type IC...icon in capitals

I've been having this problem with my keyboard since yesterday I can use the shift key to type all letters in capital except for the letters ic...on After IC . The keys for those letters are working IC on icon, I Can Jump IC fine , but when i press shift to type them in capital, nothing happens. as if they are not working! But they are working because i can type perfectly fine when not using the shift key. it started this behavior after I changed My Cursor Pack and Downloaded some Windows Folder ICon's, Can somebody help Please? *Confused*Smile

Dasha, Sep 15, 2021
Thema:

1. A shift key press can't type some letter. - Similar Threads - shift key press

2. I Can't press the letter "u" with shift to capitalize it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Can't press the letter "u" with shift to capitalize it: I Can't press the letter "u" with shift to capitalize it but I need to press caps lock to be able to do so "U", Also the Shift + U is being registered and it's not writted , Additional thing it's not only about the letter u if I switch the language to any other language I...
  3. I Can't press the letter "u" with shift to capitalize it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Can't press the letter "u" with shift to capitalize it: I Can't press the letter "u" with shift to capitalize it but I need to press caps lock to be able to do so "U", Also the Shift + U is being registered and it's not writted , Additional thing it's not only about the letter u if I switch the language to any other language I...
  4. After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....: I have tried restarting my computer and unplugging my key and plugging it back in, I have tried a number of key combinations and that didn’t help...
  5. After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....: I have tried restarting my computer and unplugging my key and plugging it back in, I have tried a number of key combinations and that didn’t help...
  6. After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....

7. After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....: My keyboard on my Windows 10 laptop usually works prefectly. However, after spamming my keyboard and pressing some key, I am unable to type letters. I can type numbers and special characters just fine, but not letters. I tried using the virtual keyboard, but I could not type...
  8. After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....

After pressing some unknown key, am I unable to type letters only letters on my laptop....: My keyboard on my Windows 10 laptop usually works prefectly. However, after spamming my keyboard and pressing some key, I am unable to type letters. I can type numbers and special characters just fine, but not letters. I tried using the virtual keyboard, but I could not type...
  9. Some keys on my keyboard are typing multiple letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some keys on my keyboard are typing multiple letters: *sorry for my bad english So whenever I click the 's' key, my s and down arrow button are pressing at the same time. When I press 'delete', my 'delete' and right arrow key are pressing at the same time. This really frustrated me when I search on google. I can't find any...
  10. Possible to make shift key stick until letter is pressed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to make shift key stick until letter is pressed?: Basically, I want the shift key to behave like a mobile phone keyboard where you press it and it stays engaged until you press the next key and then it disengages. Possible? 101963