Windows 10: A single blank icon keeps flashing in my taskbar

Discus and support A single blank icon keeps flashing in my taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, the title pretty much sums up what is going on. There's this single blank icon that keeps flashing in my taskbar. It's a new PC (Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by melecoaze, Mar 9, 2021.

1. melecoaze Win User

A single blank icon keeps flashing in my taskbar

So, the title pretty much sums up what is going on. There's this single blank icon that keeps flashing in my taskbar.

It's a new PC (Windows 10 Version 2004), and in the first days this wasn't happening, so maybe it was after I installed something, but I'm not sure what exactly.

When I boot up the PC it takes a while for the problem to start (sometimes it doesn't), and it's seemingly random (haven't associated it with starting any program). But once it starts it doesn't stop.

I've tried checking task manager to see if there's anything weird but everything seems normal.

Here's a video of it (it isn't mine but it's the same problem): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLZIzxdv3r0&feature=youtu.be

Also, when I'm watching a video on fullscreen the entire flashbar flashes because of this icon, it can get pretty annoying.

Anyone know how to fix it? Thanks.

:)

melecoaze, Mar 9, 2021
  2. LEO_945 Win User

A blank icon keeps flashing in taskbar

Recently there is a blank icon always flashing in taskbar about every 5 seconds, when it happens my screen will freeze for about half a second then come back to normal so it can be really annoying for I get distracted every time my laptop got choked. It
    seems that there is kind of unknown software tried to start from the background but simply fails to do so.

I have already tried to delete IconCache.db from Desktop Icons Flashing

Then I tried to disable flashing all together from Disable Flashing Taskbar buttons or icons in Windows 10

All the above doesn't work.

Then I reinstalled the window 10 all together, it got fixed for a while. Then antimalware service executable from windows defender keeps using 20 to 30 percent of CPU again. (Actually previous it is because of this issue I have installed avast anti-virus
    simply in order to turn off antimalware service executable which is otherwise undoable.) Then I installed avast again, and after a few hours, the blank icon from unknown sources keeps flashing again. I have used both windows defender and avast to check for
    virus, both of them did not pick up any real viruses.

So for now, my plan is to reinstall win 10 again and try another anti-virus software.

My most urgent question is how to tune the settings windows to solve this issue from the root level.

There are a few extra questions as well.

How does this issue occur?

How to shut down antimalware service executable?( I have tried all methods online, none of them works)

Any recommendation for anti-virus software?

Is there a way to use windows 8 backup image in windows 10 environment? For the time being, both recovery options in my windows 10 do not work, I have to make a USB media on my own to reinstall windows 10. More sadly, my previous windows 8 backup seems have
    been corrupted and not usable anymore. Even win 10 fails to restore to the the restore point of few days ago.

Help~!

here is the video posting

LEO_945, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Blank icons in taskbar on Windows 2016

Hello,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Confirm the said application you're using so we could fully understand the cause of the issue.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest restarting the Explorer.exe on the Task Manager. This may help resolve the issue with blank icons on the Taskbar. Refer to the steps below:

1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del, then select Task Manager.

2. On the Task Manager window, click on More Details at the bottom left if it doesn't shows the
    Processes tab.

3. Scroll down the list of the Windows processes and locate Windows Explorer and right-click on it and select
    Restart.

Note: The desktop icons and the Taskbar will refresh and will be gone for a moment after this process. It should reappear automatically.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

1. A single blank icon keeps flashing in my taskbar - Similar Threads - single blank icon

2. Taskbar Resizing a single Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Resizing a single Icon: I am running Windows 10 on my PC. Suddenly two icons on the taskbar have become so small it is unreadable. All of the other icons are the proper size and the TASK bar setting for small icons is turned off. How to I return these two icons to the proper size?...
  3. Taskbar Resizing a single Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Resizing a single Icon: I am running Windows 10 on my PC. Suddenly two icons on the taskbar have become so small it is unreadable. All of the other icons are the proper size and the TASK bar setting for small icons is turned off. How to I return these two icons to the proper size?...
  4. Taskbar Resizing a single Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Blank icon on taskbar

Blank icon on taskbar: When ever I open any app not pinned to taskbar it displays blank icon instead of its real icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-icon-on-taskbar/2d5ccfc2-598f-4155-bd95-33f10c7b785b
  6. Disable Taskbar Flashing for Single Application

Disable Taskbar Flashing for Single Application: Hi, I am running automated tests which start a program in the background before shutting it down. Every time I run these tests the taskbar flashes, and I'm finding it fairly annoying. I would like to disable the flashing behaviour for only this one program. I've seen...
  7. Blank icons on the taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blank icons on the taskbar: There is a problem that happened to my computer just now. This also happened to my 2014 computer. Any help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AefGYg88SyM Information on Winver: Microsoft Windows Version 10.0 Build 10240 c 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved....
  8. Taskbar icon flashing

Taskbar icon flashing: When you start a program in Windows, the icon on the taskbar flashes Orange, presumably to alert you that it's open (as though you did not know already that XD). I want it to not do that. It is incredibly distracting, and not very user-friendly trying to work and iTunes or...
  9. Taskbar icons flashing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taskbar icons flashing: Hi everyone, I have a problem I hope you can help me to solve it. Whenever I open Windows Explorer, go to any folder which contains a .avi video file, the taskbar icons will start flashing or blinking non stop. As soon as I close the Explorer, the blinking stops. Please help!...
  10. Edge icon blank in taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Edge icon blank in taskbar: Any way to fix this easily please? [img] [img] Thanks 36195