Windows 10: A Solution - Free Space OS SSD

Discus and support A Solution - Free Space OS SSD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; IF you have a smallish OS SSD and need/want to increase its free space and IF you use OneDrive and IF you have another drive available, internal or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Drew1903, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Drew1903 Win User

A Solution - Free Space OS SSD

IF you have a smallish OS SSD and need/want to increase its free space

and

IF you use OneDrive

and

IF you have another drive available, internal or External, for storage...

The OneDrive folder may account for a big chunk of the Used Space on the SSD. It may, even, be THE biggest item. IF you want to see the size of items on a drive run TreeSizeFree. However, the OneDrive folder can be re-located. The OneDrive folder does not have to reside on C:/.
    Ergo, that said, the steps for moving a OneDrive folder are HERE.

Cheers,
    Drew
    A Solution - Free Space OS SSD ext?url=https%3a%2f%2fsocial.technet.microsoft.jpg

:)

Drew1903, Nov 20, 2019
  2. n0ro Win User

Windows 10 reports incorrect remaining SSD space; no solutions have worked.

I am using Windows 10.

Currently, Windows itself is reporting the incorrect remaining free space on my SSD (Samsung EVO 840 120GB). This has been a problem for weeks. I have had no success in resolving the issue.

After updating my SSD firmware, I was briefly able to get File Explorer to report the appropriate 12.4 GB remaining of free space, as you can see from the screenshot below. However, from within the Windows 10 Settings window, you can see that the system
    thinks I only have 1.5 GB of space left. This makes absolutely no sense and is factually incorrect. Now, the File Explorer is reporting the 1.5 GB again.

Here is what I have done with no success:

1. Ran chkdsk on C:\ drive; no issues found.
    2. Ran DISM and SFC; no issues, didn't resolve the problem.
    3. Checked system protection; it is turned off, there are no excessive system restore points.
    4. Checked system partitions; there is no missing space needing to be reallocated.
    5. Updated SSD firmware.
    6. Rank Disk Cleanup I don't even know how many times at this point.
    7. Read other support articles and community posts with the same problem; none of their solutions have worked.

I am pretty agitated at this point and running out of thoughts on how to proceed. I can't update my OS because it thinks I don't have 10GB of free space to do so. Any suggestions you might be able to provide are greatly appreciated.

A Solution - Free Space OS SSD d7637d47-1b88-4a65-b2ee-4473271bc88d?upload=true.jpg

3. Upgrading OS to an SSD

Thanks, I will look into the Samsung SSD instead and set it up as you suggested, that's exactly what I needed.

TristanD27, Nov 20, 2019
  4. techguy31 Win User

64Gb SSD for OS or 2Tb HDD for storage ?!

I suggest that you get the 2tb for storage. SSDs are only useful if you want to boot things fast like OS and programs. I actually suggest you get both if you have that many movies.

techguy31, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. A Solution - Free Space OS SSD - Similar Threads - Solution Free Space

2. Can't free up SSD space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't free up SSD space: I installed several games recently first valorant and when I installed it I had 124 GB free after like 2 days I uninstalled it and the free space was reduced to 112 GB. I installed witcher 3 game after that and there were some missing files after installing so I had to re...
  3. Can't free up SSD space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't free up SSD space: I installed several games recently first valorant and when I installed it I had 124 GB free after like 2 days I uninstalled it and the free space was reduced to 112 GB. I installed witcher 3 game after that and there were some missing files after installing so I had to re...
  4. SSD free space,Cant launch apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD free space,Cant launch apps: I have problem with my computer.I usually pla games than my game crash and when i look at the disk free space its jumping from 20gb free space to 7gb than back to 15gb every second i refresh it.Yeah and i cant launch any games apps or even not text block the apps just crash...
  5. Wide swings in free space on SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wide swings in free space on SSD: I have a Gigabyte Aero 15 X9 with the stock Intel 760P 1 TB SSD. CrystalDiskInfo 8.1 is reported that my drive is completely healthy Each time I use my computer, I generally notice a 1-2 GB swing in the available storage. I presume this has to do with temporary files and...
  6. SSD Not displaying Used Space/Free Space, other ssd shows fine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Not displaying Used Space/Free Space, other ssd shows fine: Im running Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909. See Attached Image My E: Drive is a Western Digital SN750 1TB M.2 SSD. It does not display the Free Space/Total Space like the other SSD/Partitions C: or D: [img] Can someone tell me how to fix this? - - - Updated - - -...
  7. SSD Not displaying Used Space/Free Space, other ssd shows fine

in Windows 10 Support
    SSD Not displaying Used Space/Free Space, other ssd shows fine: Im running Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909. See Attached Image My E: Drive is a Western Digital SN750 1TB M.2 SSD. It does not display the Free Space/Total Space like the other SSD/Partitions C: or D: [img] Can someone tell me how to fix this? - - - Updated - - -...
  8. free space on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  9. ssd and hdd free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ssd and hdd free up space: Hello, i just bought a new laptop with two hard drives in it. i would like to use my ssd drive for editing purposes and the hdd to storrage my videos. the thing is that my ssd has the os in it and it only has 30 gb of space left. i am wondering if i could free some space on...
  10. New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD optimization and leaving free space at end: I just installed a new 1000GB ssd in my laptop (only drive) and it's working great. I am guessing this is where I should ask questions about optimization. Based on what I read on the web I have Disabled indexing on all drives disabled hibernate (powercfg -h off) checked that...