Windows 10: A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates.

Discus and support A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows rebooted my PC again the other day, without warning, while I was using it. This is the 3rd time it has done this since "upgrading" to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NJC2, Oct 5, 2016.

1. NJC2 Win User

A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates.

Windows rebooted my PC again the other day, without warning, while I was using it. This is the 3rd time it has done this since "upgrading" to Windows 10. I've tried every possible work-around I can find, but MS keeps "fixing" them so they don't work. I don't have Windows Pro, so I can't use the GPEdit method. The active hours thing is useless, I it set to 10am to 10pm, but I'm on the computer outside of those hours too. It was just after 10pm and I had finishing typing something and I was proof reading it. Windows thought the system was idle and it went straight to the grey installing updates screen. There was no warning at all. *Mad

The first time Windows decided to reboot for updates was shortly after installing Windows 10. I had some work open when I needed to go to bed. I put the computer in sleep mode so everything would be the way I left it when I got up. I wake up in the morning to find my machine turned on and everything I had open was gone. It turns out Windows had downloaded updates during the day and although I have wake timers disabled, it woke the machine up during the night to install the updates and reboot it. That's when I discovered that Windows Update creates a reboot task after downloading updates. Modifying, disabling or deleting it doesn't work because it gets recreated by Windows Update every time it installs updates.

TL;DR
    I don't want to disable automatic updates, so I have not done the metered connection work-around or completely disabled the update service. I wish I could have it notify that updates are available and let me chose when to download and install them like I could in Windows 7, but I'd settle for a way to stop it from rebooting and losing all of my work, and I think I might have come up with a way. I won't know for sure until the next time Windows Update runs, but I've done some tests and I think it will work. What I have done is create a scheduled task that runs a command to disable the reboot task. I have it set to run when the computer is idle for 5 minutes, which should beat out the 10 minutes the reboot task is set for. The command you need to run is "C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /change /tn \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot /disable". If you don't know how to create a scheduled task, then do the following:
    • Open the Task Scheduler by clicking start and begin typing "task scheduler" until you see it appear in the list, then click on it.
    • Right click and select "Create New Task..." (not basic task).
    • On the General tab: Name it whatever you want (I called it Disable WU Reboot). Under Security options, change the user to run as SYSTEM, then check "Run whether user is logged on or not" and "Run with highest privileges."
    • On the Triggers tab: Click new, in the Begin the task drop down list, select "On idle."
    • On the Actions tab: Chose Start a program from the Action drop down list. In Program/script put "C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe" then in the Add arguments (optional) box, put "/change /tn \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot /disable"
    • On the Conditions tab: Check "Start the task only if the computer is idle for" and select 5 minutes from the drop down list.
    • Click OK
    If you leave the task to run as your user, when using the computer while reading something, watching a video over 5 minutes, etc., the screen will flicker or a brief flash of what looks like the command prompt will flash when it runs the task. This is because the system is technically idle and it runs the command. I found this annoying, but since changing it to run as SYSTEM, it doesn't do it anymore.

:)

NJC2, Oct 5, 2016

2. How do you disable headphone jack detection in Windows 10?

Before this last week's win10 auto "update"

headphones worked plugging in & out, no disruption in music as it switched from speakers to headphones.

Then update = no headphones listed as an option nor working.

Fix:

after "auto" find updated drivers for realtek failed

and had to go to realtek to getRdone

= forced to reboot twice

Then this new problem I now share with you.

What's really happening is that

going from speakers to plug in headphones, A-OK

but when unplugging headphones

THIS STOPS THE PLAYBACK

on podcasts, other

Am working on this new problem myself but already spent a ton of Saturday NOT having fun AGAIN, Microsoft thanks very little

Bo Wellborn, Oct 5, 2016
  3. nikMK Win User
    Graphics driver OpenGL issue

How do i stop it from Auto Updating to 1709?

As far as i know win10 auto downloads everything using a background service unknown to the user until a restart is required

nikMK, Oct 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Try running a utility like Don't Sleep (free) and set it to disable restart.

dalchina, Oct 6, 2016
  5. NJC2 Win User
    Why install a program when I can just use what's built into Windows?

Anyway, it worked like a charm. I completely forgot it was patch Tuesday until remote logged into my Windows 7 Pro machine and had a notification that updates were available. I checked my Windows 10 machine and it had downloaded updates too. The reboot task had been re-created and scheduled to reboot just after 10pm (my active hours are 10am to 10pm), but it had already been disabled by my task by the time I checked. I re-enabled it and I made sure I was at the machine it was still enabled when it ran. The first time the reboot task runs is when it pops up the notification, and if you're using the machine, it re-schedules it for an hour later. After that, it no longer pops up a notification and either reboots if your system is idle or re-schedules it an hour later if it's not. I watched it the rest of the night, put the system to sleep and kept watch the next day to see what it does.

The reboot task kept getting re-enabled, I'm assuming by Windows Update because I checked the last run time on the other tasks and did not see any that were doing it. My task kept the reboot task disabled before it could run though. I thought there might be a problem if the reboot task got enabled and I put my system to sleep that it would wake up to install updates and reboot like it did once before. It seems that "on idle" tasks get run when you put the system to sleep, so it wasn't a problem. I reduced my tasks run time to 4 minutes idle because the reboot task seems to trigger a reboot if your machine is idle for 5 minutes.

If you want to do this yourself, use this XML code to import the task into Windows Task Scheduler.
    Code: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?> <Task version="1.2" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task"> <RegistrationInfo> <Date>2016-10-13T14:08:07.2288437</Date> <Author> on TenForums.com</Author> <URI>\Disable Windows Update Reboot Task</URI> </RegistrationInfo> <Triggers> <IdleTrigger> <Enabled>true</Enabled> </IdleTrigger> </Triggers> <Principals> <Principal id="Author"> <UserId>S-1-5-18</UserId> <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel> </Principal> </Principals> <Settings> <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy> <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries> <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries> <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate> <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable> <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable> <IdleSettings> <Duration>PT4M</Duration> <WaitTimeout>PT0S</WaitTimeout> <StopOnIdleEnd>false</StopOnIdleEnd> <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle> </IdleSettings> <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand> <Enabled>true</Enabled> <Hidden>false</Hidden> <RunOnlyIfIdle>true</RunOnlyIfIdle> <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun> <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT72H</ExecutionTimeLimit> <Priority>7</Priority> </Settings> <Actions Context="Author"> <Exec> <Command>C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe</Command> <Arguments>/change /tn \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot /disable</Arguments> </Exec> </Actions> </Task>[/quote] Copy it and save it to a .xml file ("Disable Windows Update Reboot Task.xml" for example), then in Task Scheduler, click Action, Import Task and select the file you just saved.

Or create it yourself using the following:
    • Create new task
    • General Tab: Change User or Group to SYSTEM
    • Triggers Tab: On Idle
    • Actions Tab: Start program: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe, Add arguments: /change /tn \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot /disable
    • Conditions Tab: Start the task only if the computer is idle for: 4 minutes, Wait for idle for: Do not wait

6. dalchina New Member
    'cos it's dead simple.

dalchina, Oct 14, 2016
  7. comcom Win User
    Agree. Not everyone wants to mess with codes and settings, and any new Windows update might make the codes go wrong or no longer work.
    If there is a program that can do it I would use a program, it is easier to change back to previous settings or uninstall the program when something goes wrong.

Unfortunately, Don't Sleep does not work for my Window 10 Home premium 64bit.

comcom, Oct 14, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, would be interested if you could say in what circumstance it doesn't work..
    On win 10 Pro it blocks sleep perfectly.

I've not been able to definitively show it blocks restart related to an update... I've never had an unexpected restart and always been notified of one pending. Even when the restart notification has occurred during active hours and I've left it pending after that period, with nothing to stop the PC restarting - and really idle- it still didn't restart automatically.

I don't want to try uninstalling updates and reinstalling them just to check this for obvious reasons...*Smile

Thanks!

dalchina, Oct 14, 2016
  9. comcom Win User
    A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates. [​IMG]

@dalchina, My Windows Update page is always opened (is always left opened on desktop) so I can monitor the situation to see if any updates are auto installed. The image above is taken before the auto restart occurred. I did close and reopen it sometimes, I am not sure if the windows update page would auto refresh or not if it stayed idle opened on desktop.

After an update is auto installed, the active hours setting option will disappear inside the windows update options, and it will display a message it is going to restart outside active hours. (see image above)

This is my Don't Sleep settings and it does not prevent the restart. After the active hours ended I encountered a blue screen and an auto restart. It happened about 15mins after the active hours ended and I was using my PC when the blue screen auto restart happened.

comcom, Oct 14, 2016
  10. That is most likely, because you have "AutoEndTasks" enabled, it closes any app preventing a shutdown.

Anyway, an interesting approach, glad you have got it working, other option is to block MusNotification.exe.

TairikuOkami, Oct 14, 2016
  11. comcom Win User
    Can you teach me how to disable AutoEndTasks

You mentioned in another post add something in reg, but I am not sure where and how to add in reg (I am not a coder). Can you provide me the step by step on how you block AutoEndTasks and MusNotification.exe

Thanks

(Note: I did not adjust any registry settings after installing Windows 10)

comcom, Oct 15, 2016
  12. Run CMD and copy/paste:
    reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "AutoEndTasks" /t REG_SZ /d "0" /f

Take ownership of "C:\Windows\System32\MusNotification.exe" and remove it, but some update might restore it later.

TairikuOkami, Oct 15, 2016
  13. comcom Win User

When I have opened programs running and I click Start>Power>Shut Down, I have a screen popup that tells me to close the programs, does that mean that AutoEndTasks and MusNotification.exe settings are correct already?

comcom, Oct 15, 2016
  14. Yes. Do not sleep appears to be working.

TairikuOkami, Oct 15, 2016
  15. comcom Win User
    Anyway before I did change anything in the registry since after I installed Win 10, all the while when I press Start>Power>Shut Down I did see the screen telling me I have Don't sleep or other programs running and ask me to 'shut down anyway' or 'cancel'.

Maybe Don't Sleep does not work for some updates or Home version, not sure. Will monitor to see if it can block update restarts in future.

comcom, Oct 15, 2016
Thema:

1. A solution to stop Win10 from auto-rebooting after updates. - Similar Threads - solution stop Win10

2. Stop Windows 11 from Automatically Rebooting after an Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop Windows 11 from Automatically Rebooting after an Update: I run electromagnetic simulations that sometimes will run for a week continuously. If interrupted, I'll lose all the work and will have to start again. I just lost a week's worth of work because Microsoft Windows forces the operating system to automatically reboot. Clearly,...
  3. Stop Windows 11 from Automatically Rebooting after an Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop Windows 11 from Automatically Rebooting after an Update: I run electromagnetic simulations that sometimes will run for a week continuously. If interrupted, I'll lose all the work and will have to start again. I just lost a week's worth of work because Microsoft Windows forces the operating system to automatically reboot. Clearly,...
  4. How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!: I've had this problem in the past on a system running W10 Home. But it's happened 3 times now in the past month on a W10 Pro system in the middle of running a weeks long task. Checking the event log I see: Date: 9/25/2020 8:53:43 AM Windows successfully installed the...
  5. How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!

in Windows 10 Support
    How to stop updates from auto-installing & rebooting system??!!: I've had this problem in the past on a system running W10 Home. But it's happened 3 times now in the past month on a W10 Pro system in the middle of running a weeks long task. Checking the event log I see: Date: 9/25/2020 8:53:43 AM Windows successfully installed the...
  6. Stop Windows 10 Auto Reboots After updates install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stop Windows 10 Auto Reboots After updates install: How do I stop a new Dell PC with Windows 10, v2004 from auto rebooting after updates install. I need this PC on at all time due to a process running on it. I want to control when this PC reboot...not at night killing the process. I have tried everything....disabled...
  7. How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?

How to REALLY stop Win10 from auto updating?: I'm having a hard time making Windows REALLY stop updating without consent. The idea is that when I'm turning on my laptop for the first time in a while I'm usually in a place where I'm hotspotting with my mobile phone. Needless to say I need to limit my data flow making...
  8. Win10 HOME edition stop auto update ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 HOME edition stop auto update ?: I am completely exhausted from MONTHS trying to install 1803 on this m32cd with SSD @ 1709 On several other pc's 1803 went on with little trouble. I just want to permanently kill WU, but it happily resets itself. At this point, my attitude toward Windows, is rock-bottom...
  9. Registry tweaks to prevent auto-reboot after Win10 Home updates

Registry tweaks to prevent auto-reboot after Win10 Home updates: Has anyone seen a hacked version of gpedit.msc that has consistently maintained the ability to disable this feature across major W10 build updates?
  10. Win10 laptop auto reboots unexpected after wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 laptop auto reboots unexpected after wake up from sleep: Recently, I met one auto reboot issue on my Dell latitude laptop. It's a Win 10 system. Each time, after I put it to sleep state and close the lid, then after I open the lid, Win 10 would auto reboot. I updated the system and some drivers. I guess it's the root cause....