Windows 10: A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or...

Discus and support A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] In most applications, Ctrl+Backspace removes the word left to the cursor. When renaming a file or folder in Windows, however, it just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AdmiralMyxtaR, Oct 29, 2019.

1. A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or...

/u/AdmiralMyxtaR, Oct 29, 2019
  2. TOOGAM Win User

Ctrl + A + Backspace acting as home key

I think you lost a character in the question, about what shows up in Notepad.

When I tried Ctrl+A+Backspace in Notepad, I got the same results as pressing Ctrl-Backspace. (This did generate a character that looked like a thin, tall rectangle.)

I can suggest three approaches:

• Try altering your behavior. Use Ctrl-A and Delete, instead of Ctrl-A and Backspace.
    • Try a different keyboard. (This may ultimately end up having the effect of altering your behavior a bit. Another possible effect is to eliminate ghosting issues that may occur when too much is pressed simultaneously on some keyboards. Although I'm suspecting that your current issue is unrelated to keyboard ghosting.)
    • Use the downloaded software AutoHotkey to respond to Ctrl-Backspace by having it automatically press Ctrl-A and then either Backspace or Delete. Hopefully the software will be responsive enough to be able to complete its actions before Windows processes your next keystroke.

TOOGAM, Oct 30, 2019
  3. ifconfig Win User
    Make Ctrl+Backspace delete previous word in Windows Explorer

I love how in text editors and internet browsers the Ctrl+Backspace hotkey will delete the previous word typed. It is a feature I use a lot. However, I keep accidentally trying to use it in Windows Explorer, where it just does this:

A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or... 6qJ84.png

It adds a little rectangular character instead of deleting the previous word. Is there any way I can make Windows Explorer accept the Ctrl+Backspace like I want it to?

I saw this Superuser question, but the solution involved the use of AutoHotkey, something I would like to avoid using.

ifconfig, Oct 30, 2019
  4. A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or...

backspace speed

My backspace only erases one character at a time. Answers on this forum indicated that by going to control panel - keyboard there is a setting. Not on mine. I can change speed of typing but no word of backspace. I changed the typing speed but it has no
    effect on backspace. Another suggested it is in filters. I can not find any filters. A search for filters did not find anything.

heisserman, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or...

1. A square garbage character appears when trying to Ctrl+Backspace when renaming a file or... - Similar Threads - square garbage character

2. Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace": The thing is that when I'm renaming, It just inserts a very nonsense character. Instead of erasing the entire word.Can you help me with this?The red thing marked in the image are renaming with very nonsense characters."Help me, please. every time that I rename, it just...
  3. Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace": The thing is that when I'm renaming, It just inserts a very nonsense character. Instead of erasing the entire word.Can you help me with this?The red thing marked in the image are renaming with very nonsense characters."Help me, please. every time that I rename, it just...
  4. Strange characters when renaming and pressing "Ctrl + Backspace"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard issues with ctrl-backspace and certain characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard issues with ctrl-backspace and certain characters: My sculpt keyboard has suddenly stopped performing as normal. Ctrl-backspace does not work in Word. Ordinary symbols such as "=" do not work in Excel -- or work intermittently. Here is what I've checked/tried:Changed batteries on keyboardChanged usb port for wireless...
  6. Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard issues with ctrl-backspace and certain characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Sculpt Keyboard issues with ctrl-backspace and certain characters: My sculpt keyboard has suddenly stopped performing as normal. Ctrl-backspace does not work in Word. Ordinary symbols such as "=" do not work in Excel -- or work intermittently. Here is what I've checked/tried:Changed batteries on keyboardChanged usb port for wireless...
  7. Character limit when renaming files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Character limit when renaming files: Hi all, windows just updated it's self and now i cant rename a file more than 26 characters, where is this option to change this? THanks! submitted by /u/ameic [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/htbcz2/character_limit_when_renaming_files/
  8. gibberish characters when try to save a file in Windows 10

gibberish characters when try to save a file in Windows 10: Strange development. When I try to save a file from the web when I type in what I want to name the file the name does not type correctly but winds up as gibberish. This happens at no other time. All the virus and malware checks come up clean. Any ideas appreciated....
  9. Getting Access Denied Error When Trying To Rename A File.

Getting Access Denied Error When Trying To Rename A File.: How can I get Windows 10 to stop asking me for Administrator approval? I sign into Windows as the Administrator and it recognizes me as the Administrator but whenever I want to rename, copy or move a file, it asks me for Administrator approval. I'm the sole user of this...
  10. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders: First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the keyboard. I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows ctrl backspace renaming

2. square character when pressing backspace