Windows 10: A stable antivirus

Discus and support A stable antivirus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I am looking for a good free antivirus that wouldn't cause my system to BSOD. I used Norton before and it caused my system to BSOD. I also used... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by qazwsxm, Aug 9, 2016.

1. qazwsxm Win User

A stable antivirus

Hi,

I am looking for a good free antivirus that wouldn't cause my system to BSOD. I used Norton before and it caused my system to BSOD. I also used Panda free antivirus and it also caused a bunch of BSODs. Right now I am on Windows Defender.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:)

qazwsxm, Aug 9, 2016
  2. Monkey57 Win User

Windows 10 Defender Not Starting

Before using 3rd party realtime antivirus; make sure the system is stable first, or don't expect your chosen AV product to keep a system safe, secure, or stable.

Monkey57, Aug 9, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Stop code: driver oral not less or equal. IDSVia64.sys

Hi Lori, this is caused by Semantic software (EndPoint, Norton Antivirus . . . etc.)

Uninstall Any Semantic software you have installed and see if your system is then stable.

If so, then install the latest version of that software and check again to see if your system is stable!

DaveM121, Aug 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

A stable antivirus

Avast has run well for me. Advertising popup after login.

Bitdefender has caused latency issues for quite a number reporting here. I don't know if that's been fixed no reports of that for 3 months or so I'd guess.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    Another vote for Avast, not caused any issues on Windows 10.

swarfega, Aug 9, 2016
  6. Pretty much any AV should do as long as you disable all "advanced" features.
    Keep just basic realtime module plus maybe webshield, like Avast Minimal has.

TairikuOkami, Aug 9, 2016
  7. Hi:

BSOD can be caused by hardware issues, driver conflicts and even certain types of malware (e.g. rootkits).

Assuming you are on an otherwise stable system without corruption or hardware problems, and assuming you are not infected, IFFFF you have been trying multiple different AVs, it's possible that your BSOD might be caused -- at least in part -- by having remnants/leftovers (especially drivers) of different AVs.

It's important to have ONLY ONE INSTALLED AV, whether WD or a 3rd-party program (free or paid).
    Even if the others are disabled or turned off, they can still cause issues (especially leftover drivers).
    You might want to have a look here at @Slartybart's excellent sticky, and to be sure you have cleanly removed all traces of other AVs, using the vendors' removal tool, when available:
    Anti Virus (AV) stand alone removal tools

As for the "which AV is best" and "free or paid or no AV at all" debate, there are already 1000000000 threads about that here and elsewhere. There is no "best" answer to suit all computers, users, budgets.
    100 users will offer at least 110 passionate opinions, pro and con.
    So, I won't clutter the forum...*Wink

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Aug 10, 2016
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

A stable antivirus

If WD is running properly for you then keep it. Add some layered protection (mbae, etc) and you are all set. I am pretty convinced that switching to any other AV solution for w10 is looking for trouble.

eLPuSHeR, Aug 10, 2016
  9. W D all the way as far as I am concerned Best Free Antivirus I have installed.
    It is light and fast and does it job

hTconeM9user, Aug 11, 2016
  10. Ethelwulf Win User
    Yes Thank you

Sorry But I have not yet heard any one say my BSOD has been caused by antivirus or anti malware Unless you are infected in memory then that is a different issue

and all the antivirus is trying to tell you is ,, that something is over kill at start up

Good Luck

Ethelwulf, Aug 11, 2016
  11. Ethelwulf Win User
    Good advice

I have had Bitdefender all year last year and couldn't wait to get rid of it
    very heavy on start up and big on cpu stay away from it for now

Ethelwulf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

A stable antivirus

1. A stable antivirus - Similar Threads - stable antivirus

2. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40: Hello. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD, mostly ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40, reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from scratch using MediaCreationTool_22H2, replaced the RAM and still the blue screen flies out. Can anyone tell me from the dumps which...
  3. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40: Hello. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD, mostly ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40, reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from scratch using MediaCreationTool_22H2, replaced the RAM and still the blue screen flies out. Can anyone tell me from the dumps which...
  4. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows Update interrupt Stable Diffusion Training, again...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update interrupt Stable Diffusion Training, again...: Windows update now decide to restart during A.I. training after I found out that uptime is restarted and this:I have max out Pause Update, as today Pause Update expired and decide to force to restart without checking system usage like CUDAI have enabled "Metered Connection"...
  6. Windows Update interrupt Stable Diffusion Training, again...

Windows Update interrupt Stable Diffusion Training, again...: Windows update now decide to restart during A.I. training after I found out that uptime is restarted and this:I have max out Pause Update, as today Pause Update expired and decide to force to restart without checking system usage like CUDAI have enabled "Metered Connection"...
  7. Why does Windows not install properly an why is Linux more stable than a software funded by...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows not install properly an why is Linux more stable than a software funded by...: Pc was fine till Windows update which im sick of microsoft breaking people pcs and not being liable for loss of data because of there ****updates ,tried removing all updates says its unable to an cannot even install Windows after formatting a hard drive that previously had...
  8. Why does Windows not install properly an why is Linux more stable than a software funded by...

Why does Windows not install properly an why is Linux more stable than a software funded by...: Pc was fine till Windows update which im sick of microsoft breaking people pcs and not being liable for loss of data because of there ****updates ,tried removing all updates says its unable to an cannot even install Windows after formatting a hard drive that previously had...
  9. Why does Windows not install properly an why is Linux more stable than a software funded by...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Windows not stable since December '23

Windows not stable since December '23: Hi, this is my first time trying this, since I've ran out of ideas in the last 14 days, trying to get my PC working normally.Since the middle of December, I have experienced random freezing of my PC, even in idle or seconds after login. If I was playing a game, sound would...