Windows 10: A swap file question

Discus and support A swap file question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello from my research and past experience, I have been led to believe that 1-the swop file should be 1.5 x RAM 2-It should not be on multiple drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by reddwarf4ever, Jan 24, 2020.

1. A swap file question

Hello
    from my research and past experience, I have been led to believe that
    1-the swop file should be 1.5 x RAM
    2-It should not be on multiple drives
    3-C drive swap file holds crash dump files, so not sure if that should have a swap file as well as another HDD

however now I see MS suggest a max of 3x RAM and another site suggested creating a separate partition just for the swap file, to this end I have created a swap file partition of 32 GB ( set min & max to 32GB to prevent fragmentation or does this matter in this instance ? )

I am certain from what I read that this has been discussed very often, but with conflicting info, would like a definitive answer, also can performance suffer if the swap file is too big ?

this is For a 64 BIT PC.....it’s getting a bit old now, was looking at how to improve performance, as the CPU often maxes at 100% when doing video conversions, during which time even slows down file copying .

:)

reddwarf4ever, Jan 24, 2020
  2. Johnny5 Win User

Building Again

I just tried to swap the hard drive for the one you suggested keakar but i purchased rush processing so its already in step 3... *Big Grin A swap file question :D

Johnny5, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Geosammy Win User
    Page and Swap File?

I've set the Page File for my C: drive to No Page File and my D: to System Managed.
    Doing this places the Page File on my D: drive,
    which is the faster of the 2 drives.

A swap file question [​IMG]

The question is,
    should I still have a Swap File on my C: drive and also one on my D: drive?

Here's a screenshot of the C: drive.
    Notice the Swap File and no Page File.

Here's a screenshot of the D: drive.
    Make note of the Page File and also the Swap File.

I was under the impression,
    that if I disable the Page Files on a specific drive,
    that both Page and Swap Files shouldn't be present on this drive?
    Is it normal to have 2 Swap Files of the same size on different drives?

Geosammy, Jan 24, 2020
  4. A swap file question

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

A swap file question

1. A swap file question - Similar Threads - swap file question

2. Files lost after swapping to a drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files lost after swapping to a drive.: Recently I was working on a project which was contained within a folder. I was running low on space on C: so I moved the folder over to my flashdrive E:. After moving the folder over to my flashdrive however, the folder is empty. I searched for some of the contents using the...
  3. can Windows.old files be swapped?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can Windows.old files be swapped?: I still have a Windows.old file from a previous upgrade from 1909 to 2004. I have renamed it so it can't be auto-deleted. I have also extended the expiry out to the max 60 days, so it is not expired yet anyway. But if I try a repair-install, then that procedure will create a...
  4. Desktop swapped with user file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop swapped with user file: Hello, This is really weird but my desktop used to be on my D: drive because why not. I wanted to change it back into my C: drive because i wanted all my windows files on C and everything else on D so when i moved the desktop file into the user folder it for some reason...
  5. Optimal setting for swap file question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Optimal setting for swap file question: hi guys, I have 16 GB ram quite fast that i bought recently and i was wondering what's a good setting for pagefile setting. currently i have, custom size: Intial 8000 mb Max size 12000 mb and it seems to be going very well, just knocked down the comp with a heavy SEO app,...
  6. Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question: Continuation of a question I asked a while back, thanks to those that replied! So if I have two computers I was interested in swapping motherboards between. Both have separate installations of Window 10 on them, and I have keys for both. If I swap the motherboards around,...
  7. Swap file, page file privacy.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Swap file, page file privacy.: Does swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys has any privacy issue ??? Does it store or replace any private file ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swap-file-page-file-privacy/5a50c044-6c67-401b-a400-c740b6dccc1f"
  8. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...
  9. change swap file size ?

change swap file size ?: I am running rainmeter and it shows my desktop has 48-49% ram usage and 49% swap file usage. I currently have 4 gigs of ram, room to put 4 gigs more for a max of 8 gigs. Isn't that too much swap file usage ? I have tried to find in the tutorials, and on my computer,...
  10. Page and Swap File?

Page and Swap File?: I've set the Page File for my C: drive to No Page File and my D: to System Managed. Doing this places the Page File on my D: drive, which is the faster of the 2 drives. [img] The question is, should I still have a Swap File on my C: drive and also one on my D:...