Windows 10: A Tale of Two Systems. What are the Lessons Learned, if any?

Discus and support A Tale of Two Systems. What are the Lessons Learned, if any? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have three systems at home. For my wife's system, it was kind of a "shotgun" upgrade. The system drive SSD *Mad failed without any warning, just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, May 15, 2016.

1. x509 Win User

A Tale of Two Systems. What are the Lessons Learned, if any?

I have three systems at home. For my wife's system, it was kind of a "shotgun" upgrade. The system drive SSD *Mad failed without any warning, just after the warranty expired. (Mushkin, don't buy from them. *Mad ) So I had to do a clean install. A lot work to re-install everything but it went smoothly.

I use two systems, a home built desktop built around an ASUS motherboard and Intel i7 CPU and a Lenovo T530 ThinkPad. Both systems run Win 7 Pro 64. The desktop version is retail, and the laptop is OEM.

I have had no luck upgrading the desktop using the upgrade tool or downloading the software into my C: partition. Either way, I always got some bizarre error message and I never get past one reboot, and I tried 5-6 times. The laptop. It upgraded without any problems the first time this afternoon.

I've done a lot of reading on ways to get the Win 10 upgrade to work. Here's the thing. the laptop had some of the issues that supposedly prevent a successful upgrade but the laptop upgrade went start to finish, no problems:

• Don't have links to drives other than C: - I had links to drives D:, E:, and F:.
    • Disconnect all drives except C:. - My system drive is on a 512 GB SSD that also has my D: and E: partitions.
    • Unplug everything. - Hard to do on a laptop.
    • Enlarge the System Reserved Partition to 500 MB. - Win 10 did that automatically.

So what do you guys think? I'm just tossing this out in case someone else is trying a million things to their their upgrade to work.

:)

2. A Tale of Two Computers

Hi,

I suggest you to post your query to TechNet forum for further assistance:

Technet forums - Platform Networking

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, May 15, 2016
  3. A Tale of Two Computers

I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro connecting to my local network and they are nearly identical. S1 is a Lenovo T510 Core i5 560m, w/8GB memory and 500GB HD. S2 is a Lenovo W510 Core i7 820qm w/12GB memory and 750GB HD. S1 is wirelessly connected
    to my LAN and S2 is connected by etherenet. Both S1 and S2 have fingerprint scanners which I use to logon. There are two other computers, both running W10 which house my network shares. S1 sees all of my network shows after initial logon with no problem.
    S2 ALWAYS requires a second logon to see the network shares on only ONE of the servers; everything else shows up automatically on S2 as well as every where else. Networking is set up identically on all these computers; they are all in the same Homegroup;
    network discovery and file sharing are on; they use a common workgroup name; all of them have password protection for network shares disabled, and all of them have the network identified as a private network.

I'm completely out of ideas why S2 ALWAYS requires a second logon to access the network shares on only ONE of the servers. It doesn't matter whether I log on with password, PIN or fingerprint. As fate would have it, it's the one with the most heavily
    used and important shares. The odd thing is S2 always requires a 2nd provision of
    S2's credentials. I wasted a lot of time figuring that out because I
    thought it was asking me for credentials for the external shares. The logon prompt is ambiguous as to what credentials it is expecting me to supply. It didn't seem logical that it was asking for my S2 credentials again because I'd just supplied them
    minutes, if not seconds prior. This sounds like a bug somewhere in Windows Hello or Networking. I'm not sure which. Anybody have a clue what's happening here?

LaurenceStewart, May 15, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Have you made sure your updates are current? Also, open an elevated command prompt (Right click computer and select run as administrator) in the window that opens, copy/paste this into the window sfc /scannow. It is a system file scanner and will attempt to repair any corrupted system files. You want it to come back and say 'Windows found no Integrity Violations'. If it finds errors, reboot and run it again. You may have to reboot and run it to get it to complete without errors. See if that helps.

essenbe, May 15, 2016
Thema:

1. A Tale of Two Systems. What are the Lessons Learned, if any? - Similar Threads - Tale Systems are

2. Training lesson 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Training lesson 8: Training lesson 8 says I fail because I landed at the wrong airport, but not true. I landed at Sedona, AZ from both directions and still says I failed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/training-lesson-8/1919bd7e-be84-4fd3-b4f2-db77ddc87b62
  3. Learning Management System

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Learning Management System: Does Microsoft have a learning management system? Which is the best LMS system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/learning-management-system/89dd8d4f-8234-45df-a3a5-ec7c1677a41a
  4. Auto-learning autotext for any program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto-learning autotext for any program: Hello everyone I do a lot of typing and I have a client who wants me to do typing in a web site that runs only on Chrome (it's too much of a hassle to type outside the browser and then paste). Sometimes I have to type sentences that are highly similar to ones just a few...
  5. Bard's Tale Not responding

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bard's Tale Not responding: The Bard's Tale is not installing on my windows 10 Microsoft store. I'm tapping he install button multiple times but it's not responding. I have already bought it using another PC and it's listed on my account as well but it's not installing here my internet coneconnec is...
  6. What are the language learning program for Windows?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are the language learning program for Windows?: I know only of Rosetta Stone, are there others? 152591
  7. Lesson on File and Printer Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lesson on File and Printer Sharing: I need a lesson on file and printer sharing. I have 2 laptops connected to a Netgear 60 router; one via wifi and one via an ethernet cable. I forgot the passwords from when I created the network several years ago. Now, both computers see each other but I can't gain access...
  8. The Bards Tale 4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Bards Tale 4: This morning I tryed to install The Bards tale 4 on win 10. The dvd is from 2005 for win XP so after much mucking around with no success. It allways told me that media player 9 or higher was not there and would not install even after tryed to install media player 11 . So I...
  9. A Tale of Two Systems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A Tale of Two Systems: Here is a comparison of a typical reliability graph between a system running Windows 7 versus one running Windows 10. Both systems are running on top-of-the-line hardware, and during the time these snapshots were taken pretty much all activity was in web browsing (similar...
  10. A Tale of Two Kernels

in Windows 10 News
    A Tale of Two Kernels: Insiders are the millions who represent the billions – Dona Sarkar This is absolutely true. Each and every Windows Insider out there is an individual who represents not only themselves, but also – to varying degrees – countless others who don’t participate in this amazing...