Windows 10: A Tale of Two Systems

Discus and support A Tale of Two Systems in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Here is a comparison of a typical reliability graph between a system running Windows 7 versus one running Windows 10. Both systems are running on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Pirx, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Pirx Win User

A Tale of Two Systems

Here is a comparison of a typical reliability graph between a system running Windows 7 versus one running Windows 10. Both systems are running on top-of-the-line hardware, and during the time these snapshots were taken pretty much all activity was in web browsing (similar sets of web sites) and some MS Office work (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
    Here is Windows 7:

A Tale of Two Systems [​IMG]

and this is what things look like under Windows 10:

A Tale of Two Systems [​IMG]

No further comment.

:)

2. A Tale of Two Computers

Hi,

I suggest you to post your query to TechNet forum for further assistance:

Technet forums - Platform Networking

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, Nov 20, 2017
  3. A Tale of Two Computers

I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro connecting to my local network and they are nearly identical. S1 is a Lenovo T510 Core i5 560m, w/8GB memory and 500GB HD. S2 is a Lenovo W510 Core i7 820qm w/12GB memory and 750GB HD. S1 is wirelessly connected
    to my LAN and S2 is connected by etherenet. Both S1 and S2 have fingerprint scanners which I use to logon. There are two other computers, both running W10 which house my network shares. S1 sees all of my network shows after initial logon with no problem.
    S2 ALWAYS requires a second logon to see the network shares on only ONE of the servers; everything else shows up automatically on S2 as well as every where else. Networking is set up identically on all these computers; they are all in the same Homegroup;
    network discovery and file sharing are on; they use a common workgroup name; all of them have password protection for network shares disabled, and all of them have the network identified as a private network.

I'm completely out of ideas why S2 ALWAYS requires a second logon to access the network shares on only ONE of the servers. It doesn't matter whether I log on with password, PIN or fingerprint. As fate would have it, it's the one with the most heavily
    used and important shares. The odd thing is S2 always requires a 2nd provision of
    S2's credentials. I wasted a lot of time figuring that out because I
    thought it was asking me for credentials for the external shares. The logon prompt is ambiguous as to what credentials it is expecting me to supply. It didn't seem logical that it was asking for my S2 credentials again because I'd just supplied them
    minutes, if not seconds prior. This sounds like a bug somewhere in Windows Hello or Networking. I'm not sure which. Anybody have a clue what's happening here?

LaurenceStewart, Nov 20, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

A Tale of Two Systems

Which application(s) was/were causing those failures ? Probably some not completely compatible with W10. I would suspect some drivers or their APIs first. I too have W7 and W10 on same computer, each one on own SSD and try to keep programs/games for W7 made for up to W7. On W10 there are only programs either made for or updated to last version that explicitly states to be compatible with W10.

CountMike, Nov 21, 2017
Thema:

A Tale of Two Systems

1. A Tale of Two Systems - Similar Threads - Tale Systems

2. Used an external DVD drive - Tale of Woe follows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used an external DVD drive - Tale of Woe follows: I didn't know when I purchased my new laptop that there was no drive to play my dvds. So I bought an external dvd drive, I/O Magic and it still would not play my DVDs, movies etc, commercially produced that always worked before. Cue to a very special DVD, my wedding. It not...
  3. Used an external DVD drive - Tale of Woe follows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Used an external DVD drive - Tale of Woe follows: I didn't know when I purchased my new laptop that there was no drive to play my dvds. So I bought an external dvd drive, I/O Magic and it still would not play my DVDs, movies etc, commercially produced that always worked before. Cue to a very special DVD, my wedding. It not...
  4. Used an external DVD drive - Tale of Woe follows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cant play game "The Bard’s Tale IV Director’s Cut" because a dialog box from windows or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant play game "The Bard’s Tale IV Director’s Cut" because a dialog box from windows or...: Cant play game "The Bard’s Tale IV Director’s Cut" because a dialog box from windows or xbox app blocks me repeatidly :I have installed the game "The Bard’s Tale IV Director’s Cut" that i bought through XBOX app on my 2 PC and it does not work because of a bug either in...
  6. Cant play game "The Bard’s Tale IV Director’s Cut" because a dialog box from windows or...

Cant play game "The Bard’s Tale IV Director’s Cut" because a dialog box from windows or...: Cant play game "The Bard’s Tale IV Director’s Cut" because a dialog box from windows or xbox app blocks me repeatidly :I have installed the game "The Bard’s Tale IV Director’s Cut" that i bought through XBOX app on my 2 PC and it does not work because of a bug either in...
  7. Another tragic tale of lockscreen woe ... but with digressions, confessions and an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Another tragic tale of lockscreen woe ... but with digressions, confessions and an...: Dear Answers Community,tl;drI'm trying to recover my password by clicking on "Lost Password" on the Windows 11 lockscreen, and my computer gives me the old "Please watch this swirly thing while I call the mothership" business. But instead of coming back with a sigh, rolling...
  8. Another tragic tale of lockscreen woe ... but with digressions, confessions and an...

Another tragic tale of lockscreen woe ... but with digressions, confessions and an...: Dear Answers Community,tl;drI'm trying to recover my password by clicking on "Lost Password" on the Windows 11 lockscreen, and my computer gives me the old "Please watch this swirly thing while I call the mothership" business. But instead of coming back with a sigh, rolling...
  9. Truly Pause Updates - a tale of inconsistency

Truly Pause Updates - a tale of inconsistency: My systems are used for production, including live production and critical projects. I understand the need to keep the system updated. And I also know the gold rule of system stability that you update systems between projects, not in the middle of projects to avoid surprises...
  10. A Tale of Two Systems. What are the Lessons Learned, if any?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A Tale of Two Systems. What are the Lessons Learned, if any?: I have three systems at home. For my wife's system, it was kind of a "shotgun" upgrade. The system drive SSD *Mad failed without any warning, just after the warranty expired. (Mushkin, don't buy from them. *Mad ) So I had to do a clean install. A lot work to re-install...