Windows 10: A Terrabyte of files copied to a win10 drive have disappeared.

Discus and support A Terrabyte of files copied to a win10 drive have disappeared. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I've got a very strange problem with files disappearing. I've bought a new hard drive for my sister and installed a new windows 10 on it (x64 home,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by horses, Jan 24, 2020.

1. horses Win User

A Terrabyte of files copied to a win10 drive have disappeared.

So I've got a very strange problem with files disappearing.

I've bought a new hard drive for my sister and installed a new windows 10 on it (x64 home, whatever version the installer tool downloads these days). I unplugged the new drive from her computer, plugged it into mine (x64 pro v1909), and copied all her old files onto it. I confirmed that her files were still readable from the new drive, unplugged it from my computer, put it back into hers and booted it up.

The terrabyte of files I copied to the drive are gone. Her Windows reports that the drive is still empty, save for the few gb win10 occupies. I put her drive back into my computer, and the files are still gone. My windows reports that the drive is still half full anyway. A file system scan and repair corrected the used space back down to just a few gb. I tried copying a few more files to it and booting it up in her computer again, and the new files disappeared again.

I tried updating her windows and running a file system scan and repair, but both failed. I tried restarting, but her windows failed to load, giving an NTFS file system error. Probably because of the scan and repair i did on the drive while it was in my computer, but it's a little odd that it would boot the first try after that, but not the second. I Reinstalled and fully updated her windows and it still works fine, so I don't think it's a problem with the new hard drive. And I didn't sign in with any microsoft accounts, so I don't think OneDrive could have anything to do with it.

So this is seeming like it's some sort of win10 security system? It's like it keeps a backup of the master file table and overwrites any changes whenever it boots? Whatever's happening, can I make it stop?

I can still transfer the files via a usb drive if I have to, but I'd really like to figure out what's happening here - even if only to make certain that it's not the new drive's fault.

:)

horses, Jan 24, 2020
  2. KomouPoji Win User

how to copy files from the CD to the Computer drive

Hi Hankriegler,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click file explorer from the list.

• Select the CD/DVD drive and hit Enter.

• Select the files you want to copy from the CD/DVD, then select the drive where you want to paste or save.
    I hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Jan 24, 2020
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Wozzer Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

1. A Terrabyte of files copied to a win10 drive have disappeared. - Similar Threads - Terrabyte files copied

2. copy files to one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copy files to one drive: unlike photos and documents,the videos files are not copy automaticaly in one drive. so ,how to do it manually? it was easy with window 10. thanks. i have window 11 pro version 22 h2 os build 22623.891...
  3. Copying a file to a network drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying a file to a network drive.: Hello. There was a problem with copying small files less than 481 kb from a network drive Netgear REDINAS Ultra 2 to a computer and back. Larger files are transferred without problems. Windows 11 version 25115. There is no problem on a computer with Windows 11 22000....
  4. Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10: I am using a Dell T-130 server running Windows 10 pro since 2017. The machine is setup to use RAID in the bios. there is a C: drive that the machine boots from and there are 3 identical 1.8T drives that are in a RAID 1 config. These show as D: drive. There is also a DVR RW...
  5. Win10 copying

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 copying: when I went to bed, the copy was 0%. When I got up, it was not there. The browser windows were also not there. I tried to look thru "computer management" > task viewer, but could not see anything related to copying. I am running Win10 ver 1909. - - - Updated - - - The copy...
  6. Win10 (Win7) Backup to usp terrabyte drive stops with error 0x800706BA. Worked fine for...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 (Win7) Backup to usp terrabyte drive stops with error 0x800706BA. Worked fine for...: My backup will run to approx. 56/57% and stops saying the RPC wont start. I have no idea what that is. On the web this is a BIG issue but most of the suggestions seem extremely difficult. Ideas?...
  7. Copying only newer files Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying only newer files Win10: This seems like a simple task, and there used to be a way to do it using a Copy command, but Win10 doesn't seem to support this: Is there any way in Win10 to copy/paste only new or updated contents from a folder B into a reference folder A? I have 2 folders, A and B, that...
  8. Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovered data disappears after copying to new Win10 installation: I've been a self employed I.T. engineer for 15 years. I have a routine when reinstalling windows for a client. I remove the hard drive, make a backup, replace, format & install windows. Then I remove the hard drive, connect it to the server with the backup and restore the...
  9. Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10: I have Win10 and a 2 Terabyte external drive. I want to hang small old drives off the machine and copy their contents (200G, 100G, stuff like that) to that 2 Tera drive so's I can then wipe them and perhaps use them for other purposes. Windows copy seems uncertain. I...
  10. Copying files onto a win10 hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying files onto a win10 hard drive: I'm trying to figure out what MS changed in Win10. *I typically hook a screwed 10 PC's hard drive to my computer and copy all their files before reinstalling windows. *Then after windows has been reinstalled I hook their hard drive to my pc and copy the files back. *Problem...