Windows 10: A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

Discus and support A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I understand what you mean, it's just nice that there are options out there to chose from even if I don't choose to make use of them,, variety is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 26, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense...

I understand what you mean, it's just nice that there are options out there to chose from even if I don't choose to make use of them,, variety is the spice of life. *Wink

BunnyJ, Mar 3, 2015
  2. jeffrys Win User

well trust,

when i reread it all, i do not know why i said that myself. Hahaha

Jeff

jeffrys, Mar 3, 2015
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Properties are EASY to find also with the W10 start menu -- simply right mouse click -- open file location and then properties.

From the file location you can also send the application to the desktop if you want just like W7.

Can't really understand the difficulty here.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 3, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

A problem is MS not showing everything in start menu search and (in this build anyway) no way to turn it on. In earlier builds and Windows 8 you could enable viewing of applications in administrative tools. In current build you can't.

You search for "Powershell ISE" and it isn't found for example. Hopefully this is a bug - if not a start menu that shows all applications (not excluding some for unknown reasons) would be welcome.

adamf, Mar 3, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Honestly, I don't like the search feature. In most cases using Google results in a better result than the MS search... IMO. YMMV.

BunnyJ, Mar 3, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    I didn't mean internet search - I meant programs on your PC are not shown. If I want to open Powershell ISE this is the result after pressing the *Start key - it doesn't exist.

Attachment 13677

To open it you have to go to control panel, administrative tools etc. Sure there are workarounds but some things are hidden by default on start menu and if this is deliberate and continues I'd want an alternative.

Attachment 13675

adamf, Mar 3, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Now I see what you mean.. thanks for pointing that out.

BunnyJ, Mar 3, 2015
  8. Tews Win User

*Roflmao2

9. Edwin New Member
    That is strange. It comes up if you use Search from the WinX Menu though! Go figure!?

A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 3, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    Actually it turns out that this works Administrative Tools - Hide or Show in Windows 8

I had to use this registry option though as I'm a bit short on charm bars.

PHP Code: :: Created by: Shawn Brink
    :: Windows 8 Help Forums
    :: Tutorial: Administrative Tools - Hide or Show in Windows 8

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /V StartMenuAdminTools /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    start explorer.exe

adamf, Mar 3, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    Hmmm, nice!
    I went back to the 'Resizable Menu' UI and added Admin Tools from there so they show up on the 'New' UI.
    (The reason PowerShell ISE didn't show up for me before, I forgot that I had a lot of 'rarely used' folders hidden!) *Redface

Edwin, Mar 3, 2015
  12. I'm looking at Win10 as a new beginning.

I have to break old habits and think how I want to use Windows now, not how I always have - boring!!!!!!

So, I'm changing everything
    • taskbar goes up top (ala title bar)
    • desktop icons are banished until I can convince MS that a scrollable bar (ala Android) would be a good thing to offer.
      For now, I just pin user, computer and recycle to file explore, and pin other things to the taskbar
    • taskbar revisited - looking at better ways to manage stuff here (ala Bins). Personal toolbars might be useful if they were more customizable (they are old tech)
    • Quick Access (formerly Home) on File Explorer holds favorite things (Home, user folders, links to work folders & everyday file use)

Transition is a bitch - I keep going to the lower left corner to press the Windows logo *Tongue

If Win10 is going to truly be a cross platform OS /GUI, then MS has a lot of things to think about. They too have to dismiss the past and embrace the future - they just have to do it carefully so people don't kvetch about nostalgia.

Anyway........

Slartybart, Mar 3, 2015
  13. adamf Win User

I find that quite buggy at the moment. *Start + X still appears at bottom left and search doesn't work. Does it work for you?

adamf, Mar 4, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Power button is at the top right of the start menu:

Ztruker, Mar 5, 2015
  15. Everything seems to work fine, now.

I had the Modern WinLogo appear at the bottom left - but I just tried on both GUIs - it's not there ant more!?!

Search just started working today after I looked at about 10 things.
    ON - Privacy -> Location platform
    ON - Let Windows and apps I've allowed, to use my location and location history.
    ON - Search

Speech, inking & typing
    is getting to know you

Go to Bing an manage personal information for your devices
    ** Bing config actually seems to work for me now
    ** I picked a few interests (weather, travel, and ????)
    **-this is good - it replaces the terrible default for Cortana/search. No trends when Cortana shows you the weather

I changed Bing to be my default search

I managed to get past the Store (beta) issue, Update required | This is embarrassing, and poked around. There were 10 updates to MS apps, mostly ones I had uninstalled
    I ran all 10 updates - had to pick each one, the update all didn't work for me.

I had to 'fix' my microphone
    I ran the Recording troubleshooter twice (two ports - built in and mini jack)
    Neither mic seemed to work with Cortana, the external mic had nearly no gain.

After running the troubleshooter on the ext mic, I poked around in the audio recoding settings.
    I made the ext mic the default, then after no change, I disconnected the mic.

When I went back to restore the default mic in audio recoding settings, it already was - but the position on the Window was now the second mic, not the first.

Taskbar search is set to icon - I toggled that around and also toggled the size of the taskbar.

I launched search and everything in Settings is ON except detect tracking info.

I also told Cortana my name was Slarty , you might want to be called Adam *Wink

Make sure Geolocation Svc is not disabled - I set mine to manual, not sue what the default is.

Thats' it, as Shawn is wont to say *Tongue

Sorry about the randomness, I had tried before and failed to get Cortana working. I was just going over everything I could think of that might affect it.

One or more of the above made it work on my machine.
    Orrrr, I forgot that one critical piece of information.

But wait .... there's a new build coming,
    Cortana might be a non-issue (MS is banking on it working, they can't go back to Clippy the paperclip!)
    or we'll have to go through the exercise again

I'll probably just investigate Cortana and then turn it off. Can't see myself talking to a machine all day ... at my desk ... alone *Smile

Notations.
    Start is set to Resizable : Start Menu - Enable or Disable Resizable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Slartybart, Mar 5, 2015
Thema:

1. A Third-Party Start Menu in Windows 10: Why It Doesn't Make Sense... - Similar Threads - Third Party Start

2. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  3. Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't my taskbar show icons of third-party apps?: Recently, I freed up my OneDrive local storage and after that all icons on my desktop and taskbar are changed to default program icon instead of their original icons. It hasn't affected the icons on the start menu shortcuts. All Microsoft app icons and some exceptions like...
  4. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  5. How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Change Start Menu Icon Without Third-Party Software: I'm trying to figure out how can I change the start menu icon but so far, I couldn't find anything on the internet. All the answers include third-party software which are not ready for windows 11. Is there a way I can change the icon through system softwares? Like control...
  6. Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any third party application hub to organize applications since the start menu...: Looking for a single application I can use to access all of my applications easily since the start menu isn’t customizable enough for my liking (especially since there are some applications in folders I can’t get out since the start menu folder is no where on my HDD). A bit...
  7. Windows 10 third party program starting issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 third party program starting issues: Dear Folks, Sometimes when i am working on windows 10 OS i face issues that my third party app is not starting .Even system is not restart/shutdown from there. Kindly give the exact solution for the issue....
  8. Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application

in Cortana
    Windows start menu and microsoft edge not working after installing third party application: i installed a third party theme "flat_color_w10_iconpack_by_alexgal23-d98fnp4" on windows 10 pro after the restart my microsoft edge dissappeared when you try to click it it shows a message "class not registered", also the windows button and icon are no longer responding.I...
  9. Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu - installed/third-party apps/programs not showing/opening: Hi all, I installed the latest Creators Update, but apps/programs I installed (e.g. Chrome, Office, Netflix) have disappeared from the start menu. They will appear in the search in the start menu, but installed apps like Netflix will not open. I have already tried this:...
  10. Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On

in Windows 10 News
    Despite Windows 10, Third-Party Start Menus Will Live On: Microsoft is bringing back the Start menu in Windows 10, and after the Windows 8 saga, when the majority of adopters looked for third-party alternatives to make the desktop look more familiar, some developers might be worried that nobody would ever use their apps again....