Windows 10: A USB port still provides power but doesn't recognize any flash drives or external mouse

Discus and support A USB port still provides power but doesn't recognize any flash drives or external mouse in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For a while, one of the USB ports on my laptop has stopped working. It never recognizes any flash drive or mouse I plug in. I thought that this was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TNHo, Jul 7, 2019.

1. TNHo Win User

A USB port still provides power but doesn't recognize any flash drives or external mouse

For a while, one of the USB ports on my laptop has stopped working. It never recognizes any flash drive or mouse I plug in. I thought that this was a dead USB port. But when plugging in a laptop cooling pad, the fans start to run. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers, but that one port still doesn't recognize anything.

:)

TNHo, Jul 7, 2019
  2. PTKK Win User

USB (all) not recognizing external drives

Up until a few hours ago my USB recognized my external hard drive. Now it doesn't. Shows up in Device manager as Other devices not a drive. Tried 2 different USB's (didn't recognize), tried a different external drive (didn't recognize), took external
    drive to another Windows 10 PC and it worked fine. I have shut down and restarted but did nothing. The USB ports work on other devices, printers, postage scale, wireless mouse fab but can't get it to recognize the drive. The usb port makes the "noise"
    when you plug/unplug it and the external drive has power from the usb. Any advice?

PTKK, Jul 7, 2019
  3. Clintlgm Win User
    USB Port Issue - Power Surge on Hub Port

I have no Idea, what i suggested you check is the USB ports on your computer ensure you didn't damage them. The Hub you smoked is smoked get rid of it.
    You new Hub is it self-powered? if not you probably don't have enough power going to the hub to support many devices. The flash drive plug it into a port on your computer if it works then its ok and the issue is the hub. If not you can try to run chk disk on it maybe you can fix it.

Clintlgm, Jul 7, 2019
  4. Iceblaze Win User

A USB port still provides power but doesn't recognize any flash drives or external mouse

My laptop's USB ports stopped sending power to my mouse and recognizing devices

After I plugged in a USB to microUSB cable into one of the USB ports on my ASUS laptop, the laptop lost power instantly. When I powered it back on, I had lost all functionality of my USB ports. My gaming mouse will not light up and it will not respond
    when it is in my ASUS laptop, but it works fine in my HP laptop. The ASUS laptop will also not recognize my USB flash drive. I tried the fixes suggested in a Microsoft help article (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rking-after-you-remove-or-insert-a-usb-device),
    but they didn't work. I don't know what to do.

Iceblaze, Jul 7, 2019
Thema:

1. A USB port still provides power but doesn't recognize any flash drives or external mouse - Similar Threads - USB port still

2. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  3. PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive: PC doesn't recognize usb flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-doesnt-recognize-usb-flash-drive/0a95f9d2-6968-4325-8c66-0e87374ede1e
  4. USB port is providing power but no connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port is providing power but no connection: The USB port on the left side of my Inspiron laptop will provide power to devices but does not have any data communicated whatsoever. The other USB port works just fine. I have tried all the suggestions in device manager, various methods or restarting the computer and...
  5. USB port is providing power but no connection

USB port is providing power but no connection: The USB port on the left side of my Inspiron laptop will provide power to devices but does not have any data communicated whatsoever. The other USB port works just fine. I have tried all the suggestions in device manager, various methods or restarting the computer and...
  6. USB port is providing power but no connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  8. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  9. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  10. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i plug a usb in my computer it says there is power but laptop doesnt recognize it