Windows 10: A very large pinch of salt

Discus and support A very large pinch of salt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This post is just to let anyone new to these sort of forums know that you really need to re search your issues in great depth yourself instead of just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pejole2165, Aug 21, 2019.

1. A very large pinch of salt

This post is just to let anyone new to these sort of forums know that you really need to re search your issues in great depth yourself instead of just accepting the advice of others blindly (and yes I'm aware of the irony of this post).
    A prime example is the CU KB4512508 debacle and the linked Nvidia driver issue, both of which I suffered from and both I cured with knowledge from these forums, some from past advice, some with ideas generated by new posts in reply to my questions. At one point I was convinced I would have to RMA my 2 month old GPU, or strip my PC down and replace the PSU, luckily this is not the case.
    Another example is one which is still current, the issue of DISM showing errors on new installs, this seems to be down to Defender files not being verified by Microsoft.
    The issue does not have any real world effect and can be safely ignored by the average user, however I got that information from this forum and from Bleeping Computers.
    A different commonly used forum has the same question from users and is answered with a copy - paste wall of text instructing the users to re install Windows.
    Now there is nothing wrong with the instructions presented on how to re install Windows efficiently but for this issue it is overkill.
    This just goes to highlight that you need to find 2 or more sources you can trust over time for information when things go pear shaped.

:)

Pejole2165, Aug 21, 2019
  2. hballam Win User

Pinch screen zoom

Thanks for your reply but there is no pinch zoom option for my windows 10 surface pro 5th edition, or at least going through your steps I can't find it. Any other suggestions would be great.

Helen

hballam, Aug 21, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    From Russia with a pinch of salt: another death knell for Lumia brand

Read more: From Russia with a pinch of salt: another death knell for the Lumia brand

Brink, Aug 21, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

A very large pinch of salt

From Russia with a pinch of salt: another death knell for Lumia brand

Hi there

Windows phones are great but much too late to the party -- going the way of good stuff but not a sufficient market. Not enough applications either (Real applications -- not kiddy games etc).

Remember Betamax (far superior) and VHS wars, Windows (OK) and OS/2 (hugely better but IBM wasn't keen on home users etc), and Sony refusing old Cassette radios to be developed to use Minidiscs instead -- could have been a great format in its time-- I actually still use a small portable mini disc recorder --excellent device even after all these years.

You could have the BEST product in the entire Galaxy - but if you can't market it OK or it is ringed fenced with so many restrictions that people can't use it easily (Minidisc - Closed proprietary ATRAC format and loads of DRM for example) then they'll switch in droves to a less restrictive alternative. - Unfortunately the best designs / devices don't always win in the hard reality of a market place.

On a much more positive note - the Surface Pro 4 will be a HUGE winner --Ms have actually got this 100% right just about in time --travelling Pros who need both a serious laptop and the convenience of a tablet --with a docking station this will blow almost any laptop out of the water --and I suspect a few desktops too --pity I can't run 8 monitors from one of these -- the graphics card in such a small device would probably need enough power to generate sufficient heat to cause Hydrogen Fusion in a nuclear Bomb. !!

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

A very large pinch of salt

1. A very large pinch of salt - Similar Threads - very large pinch

2. Windows crashes on very large video folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows crashes on very large video folders: I have a pretty large drive of videos ~6TB and recently it has been completely locking up Windows. I can't tell what triggers it specifically but randomly when accessing any portion of the drive, windows explorer will just stop working and I have to hard reset the PC. Trying...
  3. Pinch zoom

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinch zoom: I've tried many different instructions for disabling the pinch to zoom feature of the touchpad but none of them seem to work for me. Is there anything else I can try? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinch-zoom/482982b1-9185-47b8-8c04-8330ecc8d5a6
  4. Very Large Apps on Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Very Large Apps on Desktop: so basically I got mad and hit my desk, but doing so exited out of the game and when it did all my apps filled the screen, about 10 apps would fill my entire desktop and doing everything that was suggested on other posts I could, nothing helped. if it comes to restarting my...
  5. Very large desktop icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Very large desktop icons: [ATTACH] I have no clue what I did here. my desktop had normal icons and now they are fricking huge, many of them are covering other icons. Also not gonna lie, I am kinda small brained when it comes to computers and stuff so any help is appreciated. do not mind the dwayne...
  6. Unable to rename a very large folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to rename a very large folder: One of our users has about 20-30 files including folders in his OneDrive. A couple of the folders are very large 100+GB. The problem is the user is unable to rename the top level folder. Get an error that is similar to "The number of items in this list exceeds the list view...
  7. Menus in Applications started to be very large.

Menus in Applications started to be very large.: Hello I came into work today, and when I logged into my PC the menus in all my applications are not very large. The size of the fonts not in the menus are fine. Example: Outlook - Menus & Side tool bars are very large. But in emails & previews are in the correct size....
  8. Pinch Zoon

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pinch Zoon: I have an HP with an Elan touchpad, Windows 10, and I can find no way to turn off the pinch zoom. I will be talking to clients while working and suddenly the font gets bigger or smaller and it drives me crazy....
  9. Screenshots appear very large

Screenshots appear very large: Hi, I'm using a Dell XPS 15 with Windows 10 pro and I'm having an issue with taking screenshots. They appear very large when viewed, I'm thinking it might be because I have to use a 250% scale since 100% makes everything tiny. Is there a way to resolve this? It's really...
  10. From Russia with a pinch of salt: another death knell for Lumia brand

in Windows 10 News
    From Russia with a pinch of salt: another death knell for Lumia brand: Yet more fuel has been added to the fire that the Lumia brand's days are numbered. The news comes out of Russia, which claims that the Lumia brand and ARM processors will no longer be used for Microsoft's mobile strategy going forward. It had already been hinted that the...