Windows 10: A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer

Discus and support A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I plan on doing a factory reset on my Thinkpad X270 Windows 10 Pro laptop, but I'd like to check on certain things: I read the following on... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DaffyDuckKangaroo, Nov 23, 2020.

1. A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer

Hello,

I plan on doing a factory reset on my Thinkpad X270 Windows 10 Pro laptop, but I'd like to check on certain things:

I read the following on backed-up files:

"In most cases, a factory reset will remove viruses. But how exactly do some manage to survive it? Wherever your backup data is stored, make sure you scan it for malware before moving any of it back to your device. The recovery partition is part of the hard drive where your device's factory settings are stored."

1 I'm not sure what "recovery partition" means?

2 If I run my Windows Defender now, obviously before the reset, will that cover any and all infections on all my files, including all my documents and pictures?

3 If the answer to "2" is no, how can I check every file and document -- I hope I don't have to do that individually?

4 If a virus or Trojan or Worm is put on my hardware -- not sure that's possible -- or in the Bios of my computer, will a total factor reset remove them?

Thank you,

Daffy D

:)

DaffyDuckKangaroo, Nov 23, 2020
  2. Ken Blake Win User

Is the "trojan worm" virus real or just hackers phissing?

Two points:

1. There is no such thing as a "trojan worm virus." Trojans, worms, and viruses are three different kinds of malware.

2. You are clearly infected. But the flash post with a voiceover warning is a symptom of the infection itself. It is not telling you about some other infection; it *is*the infection.

Do not call the alleged Windows/Microsft phone number. It is not a Microsoft number. Instead, download and run the free MalwareBytes AntiMalware at Malwarebytes Cybersecurity for Home and Business | Malwarebytes and see if that gets rid of it for you.

Ken Blake, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Oldgye Win User
    Is the "trojan worm" virus real or just hackers phissing?

Is the "trojan worm" virus real or just hackers phissing? I get this flash post with a voice over warning that my computer is infected and gives an alleged Windows/Microsft phone number. An "Intellius" site check just says that it is a toll free number.

I think that the public should start to hunt these hackers down, and treat them like rabid dogs in the wild.

Oldgye, Nov 23, 2020
  4. A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer

Trojan virus

Suggestion to read:
    Suggestions for asking a question on help forums

Without knowing any details....:

See the helpful links posted by

quietman7 - MVP

here

Copy/paste of above post:

Malware Removal Guides for Windows

You can always supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an

Online Virus Scan

ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.

Stubborn Malware Removal Guides for Windows

==========================================================

Jsssssssss, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer

1. A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer - Similar Threads - Virus Trojan Worm

2. Can a virus stay on my computer after factory reset AND HDD replacement?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a virus stay on my computer after factory reset AND HDD replacement?: I'm not even sure if it was a virus causing my problems, but recently I was having trouble booting my computer, as in, it would take me straight into diagnostic mode and bootrec would say there was no Windows installation on my computer.I figured it was a HDD problem so I...
  3. Can a virus stay on my computer after factory reset AND HDD replacement?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can a virus stay on my computer after factory reset AND HDD replacement?: I'm not even sure if it was a virus causing my problems, but recently I was having trouble booting my computer, as in, it would take me straight into diagnostic mode and bootrec would say there was no Windows installation on my computer.I figured it was a HDD problem so I...
  4. Trojan virus on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trojan virus on my computer: Hello, from somedays now my computer is detecting a suspicious malware that is Trojan and every time I click the button start actions to block threat the notification is always there and the virus says is still active. Now I have tried all the possible ways that there are...
  5. Trojan virus on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trojan virus on my computer: Hello, from somedays now my computer is detecting a suspicious malware that is Trojan and every time I click the button start actions to block threat the notification is always there and the virus says is still active. Now I have tried all the possible ways that there are...
  6. Not sure if I have a virus or trojan or worm or nothing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not sure if I have a virus or trojan or worm or nothing: Hello, I have a Windows 10 and was on Microsoft Edge when I click on a website about a Nobel Prize winner and all of a sudden something downloaded -- I think it was a PDF, but I've since deleted it. In any event, by accident I opened the document while trying to close it....
  7. Can a virus bypass a factory reset?

Can a virus bypass a factory reset?: Hi, I recently had a run in with a hacker who potentially put a R.A.T on my computer I have factory reset computer in a panic attempt to remove it. My friend told me that certian R.A.Ts can bypass factory resetting by making windows think that it is the windows key and...
  8. My Windows computer is full of viruses and or worms..

My Windows computer is full of viruses and or worms..: Would it be better to try and clean it? Or should I just try and get a new computer or hardrive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-windows-computer-is-full-of-viruses-and-or/d5b1f76a-ceaf-4f82-a8a7-833275453f2f
  9. Trojans and worms

Trojans and worms: I received a message upon startup yesterday that I was infected with a Trojan xcc32 and a worm.system32. Theyu wanted me to contact someone to fix the problem. I just dismessed the pop up and went about my business. Have not heard again from them. Am I OK - it seems I am, or...
  10. Virus Factory Reset Problem

Virus Factory Reset Problem: Hello there, I have this massive problem where a virus has hijacked the command prompt thus leaving me not to be able to do anything about it. I tried all possible solutions including booting in the safe mode and fixing it. I simply gave up and went to factory reset my PC....