Windows 10: A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1)

Discus and support A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1) in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello awesome people of this forum! I need help. I have experienced a (fatal) error in attempting to backup my Windows box via System Image. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Hydrate, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Hydrate Win User

A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1)

Hello awesome people of this forum!

I need help. I have experienced a (fatal) error in attempting to backup my Windows box via System Image.

I cannot seem to figure out the problem, and I was hoping someone may know more in trying to fix this and I would like to learn.

This is the error.

A volume shadow copy service operation failed.  VSS &SPP (0x87800A1) [​IMG]

I am attempting to repair this as fast as possible myself.

I will post back to this to ensure an updated database for anyone on this forum and search engines.

EDIT: Simple fix.

To solve this, all that was required was the Workstation service to be started.

To enable the service:

Run Command Prompt as Administrator (start menu > cmd.exe > right click > Run as Admin)

type Code: sc config LanmanWorkstation start= auto[/quote] and restart the computer.

Then attempt to backup and create the system image.

Best of luck to anyone trying to do this!

:)

Hydrate, Jun 27, 2017
  2. mdp1000 Win User

64 bit Windows 10 home, Backup failure. PC is core i7 6820/32 GB Ram.

a backup of my system is failing repeatedly and the error thrown back is error code 0x81000019. "A shadow file could not be created. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information."

However, on other attempts to create a system image, I got the following error:
    "A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. (0x807800A1)

Additional Information:
    The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur. (0x800423F3)."

I checked the VSS in services, and is running on automatic, and check dependancy services

Disabled temporarily the firewall

Disable antivirus

Run Chkdsk, with no errors

Unplugged, and replugged the drive, with no luck

Tried to backup to a network drive with no luck either.

My last backup was on 4/15/2017, with no problem

There are no equipment, or software changes since then.

Any and all input will be appreciated

Thank you Microsoft

mdp1000, Jun 27, 2017
  3. msaba497 Win User
    Backup fails

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did Step 1 OK.

Doing Step 2: Volume Shadow Copy is already running, but I have no SPP Notification Service in the list of services!

I just tried to backup, and it failed again!

Back in August when the Backup failed, someone told me about STARTING VSS. I did that then, and it appears to be running since then. He did not say anything about SPP. I replied to him, but he disappeared!

M. Saba

msaba497, Jun 27, 2017
Thema:

A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1)

1. A volume shadow copy service operation failed. VSS &SPP (0x87800A1) - Similar Threads - volume shadow copy

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Hi in recent few days im geting this eror message Help?Log Name: Application Source: VSS Date: 27.5.2023. 11:11:15 Event ID: 13 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Binux1984 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service information: The COM Server...
  3. Backup Error A Shadow copy cannot be created VSS & SPP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup Error A Shadow copy cannot be created VSS & SPP: Hi There,I am running the latest Win 11 & tried to do my usual Sunday Back up to my external HDI received the following error messageAny suggestions gratefully accepted...
  4. Backup Error A Shadow copy cannot be created VSS & SPP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup Error A Shadow copy cannot be created VSS & SPP: Hi There,I am running the latest Win 11 & tried to do my usual Sunday Back up to my external HDI received the following error messageAny suggestions gratefully accepted...
  5. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  6. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working: I am trying to backup my files but it is disabled. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shadow-copy-service-not-working/1d0404ed-9d64-47cb-a1a6-19242309da97
  7. Volume Shadow Copy Service Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Trying to fix: "Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed" 0x80700A1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to fix: "Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed" 0x80700A1: Win 10 Pro x64 1904. I run a System Image Backup via File History every week or so, and did so after installing 1904 last week. Now it's failing. Yesterday before that, I swapped in a new nonsystem backup HDD that had been cloned previously and reestablished some drive...
  9. Win10 Pro 1909 Volume Shadow Copy Service Fehler VSS 0x8004230f ??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win10 Pro 1909 Volume Shadow Copy Service Fehler VSS 0x8004230f ??: Beim Backup zur Laufwerkessicherung tritt dieser Fehler auf und eine Sicherung ist nicht möglich. Ebenfalls beim Versich eine Wiederherstellungslaufwerk zu erstellen bricht das System ab. Aufgetreten ist der Fehler nach dem Versuch Windows Sandbox zu aktivieren und der...
  10. Volume Shadow Copy Service Failure Check "VSS" & "SPP" application event logs for more...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Volume Shadow Copy Service Failure Check "VSS" & "SPP" application event logs for more...: Took following corrective steps: 1. Disabled Antivirus and Firewall 2. Turned "Volume Shadow Copy tgo "Automatic" 3. Checked for "Hard Drive Errors" The above procedures did not resolve the problem suggestions welcome...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0x807800a1 vss spp

2. A volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check VSS and SPP application event logs for more information. (0x807800A1)

3. a shadow copy could not be created vss spp

4. a volume shadow copy service failed please check vss and spp application event logs for more information 0x807800a1,
  5. A volume shadow copy service operation failed. Please check the VSS and SPP application event logs for more information