Windows 10: A Way Only Enable Touchpad mouse-Keys?

Discus and support A Way Only Enable Touchpad mouse-Keys? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Just as the tile asked, is there a way in Windows to only enable the left and right buttons of a laptop's touchpad? I mean, touchpad... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TwingKey, Mar 8, 2021.

1. TwingKey Win User

A Way Only Enable Touchpad mouse-Keys?

Hello everyone,

Just as the tile asked, is there a way in Windows to only enable the left and right buttons of a laptop's touchpad? I mean, touchpad often comes with its surface sensing function, and at least two keys usually at the bottom as the left and right clicks of your mouse. The question is what if I only want to disable the surface touch-sensing but leave the keys enabled?

This makes sense to me because in some occasions, doing typing and writing office work, laptop's touchpad becomes a bit of nuisance because of the standard way we put our hands on the keyboard but accidentally touch the pad, which disrupts the fluence of work process. But on the other hand, you do find convenience when you can use your either hand to manipulate only the mouse keys on your laptop. Rarely, anyone would accidentally click the keys on your touchpad so it would be better design if one can leave the 'clicks' enabled while disable the touchpad sensing.

This might be just more of a genral design of comfort issue and I suppose it can be easily done by software?

I have Windows 10 Pro version 2004 and it is generally doing fine. One easily can set the whole touchpad disabled if a mouse plugged-in. I previously have learned quite a lot from Tenforums and Sevenforums so I am quite confident to learn more from here. I would thank anyone in advance if they find my question sensible as well; and thank you for taking time to read my text.

Best regards

:)

TwingKey, Mar 8, 2021
  2. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Touchpad

Hi Denise,

To address your concern, we suggest that you check if the touchpad is enabled in Mouse Properties.

Please follow these steps below to check the status of the touchpad.

• Click Start and choose Settings.
    • Click on Devices. Choose Mouse & touchpad. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click
      Additional mouse options.
    • The Mouse Properties window will open. Click the tab furthest to the right (ELAN
      or Device Settings).
    • Under Devices, check if your touchpad is disabled. If it is disabled, click the touchpad to select it and then click
      Enable.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Mar 8, 2021
  4. A Way Only Enable Touchpad mouse-Keys?

Mouse device is enabled instead of Touchpad option on Windows 10.

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand the mouse device option is enabled instead of touchpad and you would like to enable the latter option on the computer.

You can enable the touchpad option from Control panel under
    Mouse option. Control panel contains settings of all the system device installed on the computer.

To enable the touchpad option on the computer, follow the steps below and check if the changes are effective.

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control panel from the context menu.
    • From the top right corner of the screen click on
      View by
      and select Large icons
    • Click on Mouse option from the window.
    • Click on Device settings tab on the
      Mouse properties screen, check if the Disable button to turn off the touchpad option is buttoned. If yes, unbutton the option and check if the touchpad is enabled on the device.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

A Way Only Enable Touchpad mouse-Keys?

1. A Way Only Enable Touchpad mouse-Keys? - Similar Threads - Enable Touchpad mouse

2. Enabling mouse keys without a mouse in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling mouse keys without a mouse in windows 10: When I go to the setting by pressing tab, I can't get it to enable. While the enable Mouse Keys box is highlighted I've tried pressing enter, the right arrow key, space bar, everything. But it will not enable. I've also tried the left alt + left shift + numlock, and it opened...
  3. Enabling mouse keys without a mouse in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling mouse keys without a mouse in windows 10: When I go to the setting by pressing tab, I can't get it to enable. While the enable Mouse Keys box is highlighted I've tried pressing enter, the right arrow key, space bar, everything. But it will not enable. I've also tried the left alt + left shift + numlock, and it opened...
  4. Is there a way to permanently ENABLE the touchpad on Win 10??

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to permanently ENABLE the touchpad on Win 10??: Some programs & games keep turning off my Lenovo y720's built-in touchpad. I hate having to manually re-enable it every time. Is there please some reg-edit or other trick to force the enabled status on the touchpad? I've read a million times the ways to disable the touchpad...
  5. mouse and touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mouse and touchpad: win 10 dell 15-3567 A few days ago, I noticed when on line and trying to scrolldown by placing my cursor over the scroll bar on right side of page it either willnot move the the bar, or it will move it in the reverse direction I want it tomove. I am using a dell touch...
  6. mouse/touchpad

mouse/touchpad: Hello. I have a HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10. I want to disable my touchpad. I clicked disable on the device manager but it had no effect. Double-tapping on the upper-left of the pad also has no effect. None of the function keys have the desired effect either. I was...
  7. When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...: What the title says. It's an MSI GE65 Raider 9SF laptop, running Windows 10 Pro. I disabled this option so that a the touchpad is disabled when I have an USB mouse connected, but the thing is that it's disabled even when a mouse isn't present? I booted up my laptop today in...
  8. ‎Mouse/Touchpad

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ‎Mouse/Touchpad: Been trying for days looking for instructions on how to enable both mouse and touch pad to switch from one to the other and I'm going insane!! PLEASE do not send info on how to enable one OR the other! I want to have the option to use both. Why is it SO HARD to find this...
  9. touchpad enable/disable hot key on lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    touchpad enable/disable hot key on lenovo laptop: often when I start my Lenovo laptop the touchpad and pointer is not enabled! as you can imagine trying to get a laptop to do anything without a touchpad is very difficult. I have tried to get into the touchpad function window via 'settings' arrows, touchpad, arrow/stop key...
  10. Enabling 4 way scrolling with Magic Mouse

Enabling 4 way scrolling with Magic Mouse: Does anyone know if it is possible to enable 4 way scrolling with Apple Magic Mouse on Windows10? I loaded the drivers from Bootcamp which enables 2 way scrolling. The only drivers I have found that work well are from Parallels on my Mac. Trying to enable the same...