Windows 10: A way to automatically select between 2 printers according to document/paper size settings?

Discus and support A way to automatically select between 2 printers according to document/paper size settings? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have 2 printers connected to my Win10 computer - one is a regular laser printer that prints on 8.5"x11" paper and the other is a 4"x6" label printer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dbx99, Mar 5, 2021.

1. /u/dbx99 Win User

A way to automatically select between 2 printers according to document/paper size settings?

I have 2 printers connected to my Win10 computer - one is a regular laser printer that prints on 8.5"x11" paper and the other is a 4"x6" label printer for shipping.

whenever I send a package, I print a packing slip on 8.5"x11" paper out of one printer and then a 4"x6" shipping label out of the small thermal printer. Every time I open each document (they're generated as PDFs out of Shopify), the printer selected is whichever one I used last. This means I have to manually select between these two printers manually in the printer selection list prior to hitting the print button.

Is there a way to have Windows10 "sense" that if the document is a 4"x6" size, to send it to the thermal printer and if the document is formatted as a 8.5"x11" document, then send it to the laser printer?

submitted by /u/dbx99
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dbx99, Mar 5, 2021

2. HP 400 Laser Printer-duplex and paper size errors

Hi Norma,

My name is Erik. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

Kind ly see this link for HP-supported paper size:

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c03303423

Try this following steps to fix the issue

Step 1: Adjust the paper size setting

Check the paper size setting to make sure it matches the paper you want to print.

1. In the program, you want to print from, click File, and then click Print.

2. Make sure your printer is in the Name or Printers drop-down list box, and then click Properties, Printer Properties or Preferences, depending on the program options.

3. Click the Paper/Quality tab.

4. Click Advanced, if necessary, and then click Paper Size.

5. Select the paper size that matches the size and type of paper loaded in the printer tray, and then click OK. If there are no matching paper sizes, select the size from the list that is closest to the size of the paper loaded in the tray.

6. Click OK, and then try to print.

If the error message persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Check the paper source setting

Remove and reload the paper in the input trays, and then check the paper source setting.

1. Remove all the paper from all the printer input trays.

2. Reload the paper, and then adjust the paper width guides so they gently rest against the edge of the paper stack.

3. In the program, you want to print from, click File, and then click Print.

4. Make sure your printer is in the Name or Printers drop-down list box, and then click Properties, Printer Properties or Preferences, depending on the program options.

5. Click the Paper/Quality tab, and then click Paper Source to select the correct tray.

6. Click OK, and then try to print.

If the error message persists, continue to the next step.

Reset the printer to clear any hardware issues or error states.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

3. Wait a minimum of 60 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

5. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

6. Turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Erik

Independent Advisor

EriksonBautista24, Mar 5, 2021
  3. lalillie Win User
    Printer's default paper size ignored

I set defaults up for my printers using the Advanced Document Settings.
    This is essentially what I have done. I created differently named PDF printers and set different paper sizes for each.

Yes, I believe the issue is programs overriding or ignoring default settings. Kind of nullifies the use of default settings doesn't it. I think that's ridiculous. But after investigating I found some interesting things that will help reduce repeated changes to printer settings. Both Microsoft Office and LibreOffice will remember the last setting of the printer used. For instance, in Word (2010) you can change the paper size under File - Print - Settings. If you save your document it will remember that setting regardless of what printer you choose. Note that this does not change the Page Layout paper size.

The solution for Mozilla Thunderbird was different though. I was selecting text in a long emails and wanted to print it out as a legal-sized PDF to read on another device. I found the solution here: how to change default printer in Thunderbird | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support
    Thunderbird was automatically using the settings of a different printer. After clearing the printer setting I was able to do what I wanted repeatedly without any changes.

lalillie, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Poeppel Win User

A way to automatically select between 2 printers according to document/paper size settings?

Setting default paper size in windows 10, is the paper size of the default printer.

Hi Microsoft,

you can improve the documentation for the setting of the default paper size for application.

I noticed the default paper size for Edge, Outlook, ... is taken from the paper size of the default printer.

Where is this documented. The discussions on this topic, only refer to some printer, but not on the important role with this regard of the default printer.

Thanks & regards

Ralf

Poeppel, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

1. A way to automatically select between 2 printers according to document/paper size settings? - Similar Threads - automatically select between

2. Custom paper size does not appear in printer selection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Custom paper size does not appear in printer selection: Custom sizes are not showing when I try to send a print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/custom-paper-size-does-not-appear-in-printer/114c6123-9edb-4ef6-a875-038ee75f2e0d
  3. Custom paper size does not appear in printer selection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Custom paper size does not appear in printer selection: Custom sizes are not showing when I try to send a print https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/custom-paper-size-does-not-appear-in-printer/114c6123-9edb-4ef6-a875-038ee75f2e0d
  4. Printer paper size not available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer paper size not available: Last week I was able to print on 13x19 paper no problem using my Epson WF7720 printer, however this week the paper size has disappeared from the List of options, I have read many forums and guides on how to solve this issue but none of them work, I have tried creating a new...
  5. Printer paper size not available

Printer paper size not available: Last week I was able to print on 13x19 paper no problem using my Epson WF7720 printer, however this week the paper size has disappeared from the List of options, I have read many forums and guides on how to solve this issue but none of them work, I have tried creating a new...
  6. Printer paper size not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Making Windows select the right printer for each paper size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making Windows select the right printer for each paper size: Is there a way to set up printers in Windows so that Windows automaticaly selects the apropriate printer for the document I want to print? I have one printer that prints both A4 and A3, another more efficient one that prints A4 only, and a Zebra label printer that prints...
  8. Making Windows select the right printer for each paper size

Making Windows select the right printer for each paper size: Is there a way to set up printers in Windows so that Windows automaticaly selects the apropriate printer for the document I want to print? I have one printer that prints both A4 and A3, another more efficient one that prints A4 only, and a Zebra label printer that prints...
  9. Making Windows select the right printer for each paper size

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Setting default paper size in windows 10, is the paper size of the default printer.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default paper size in windows 10, is the paper size of the default printer.: Hi Microsoft, you can improve the documentation for the setting of the default paper size for application. I noticed the default paper size for Edge, Outlook, ... is taken from the paper size of the default printer. Where is this documented. The discussions on this...