Windows 10: A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

Discus and support A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is there a way that wouldn t screw up dual boot? How about the drivers? i have USBC interface on both the laptop and ext SSD. And I want to install W10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by doriandiaconu, Jun 2, 2021.

1. A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

Is there a way that wouldn t screw up dual boot? How about the drivers? i have USBC interface on both the laptop and ext SSD. And I want to install W10 on the SSD while having Fedora on the internal SSD.

:)

doriandiaconu, Jun 2, 2021
  2. lacrumb Win User

Installing W10 on a new SSD

If you have a way of connecting the SSD externally you can use something like EaseUS ToDoBackup and clone you total HHD to the SSD then install the SSD.

lacrumb, Jun 2, 2021
  3. How do install my copy of Windows 10 on an SSD that I will then swap for the internal SSD in my Dell Laptop?

Let me clarify:

I have gone through downloading the iso of Windows 10 installer and started the installation process right up to where it begins to restart, at which point I have quit because it never asks for an installation target and gives every sign that it is going
    to wipe my internal SSD and install there.

I may be wrong but do not want to risk it wiping my internal drive, before I have had a chance to set up my external SSD as the boot drive.

My issue, which you have not addressed is installing a bootable version of Windows 10 on the external SSD (in a USB case) which I then propose to boot off to check it works before installing that external SSD internally into my Dell Inspiron 11.

This is a trivial exercise for OSX. Is it, or is it not possible with Windows? If so what are the exact steps?

PeterBreis, Jun 2, 2021
  4. Mr.Hansen Win User

A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

2,5" SSD vanished after installation of W10

yes i did.
    I have installed W10 pro from ISO and it works, but do not show other internal SSD. only the C: and DVD

Finn

Mr.Hansen, Jun 2, 2021
Thema:

A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

1. A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD? - Similar Threads - install W10 external

2. Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck: Let me describe what I currently have and what I would like to do. I have my Steam Deck set up with Windows 11 installed on an external SSD. When I want to use Windows on my Steam Deck, I shut down the Deck, plug in the SSD, start up, and I'm running Windows.Here's what I...
  3. Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone a Windows 11 external SSD installation to internal ssd partition of Steam Deck: Let me describe what I currently have and what I would like to do. I have my Steam Deck set up with Windows 11 installed on an external SSD. When I want to use Windows on my Steam Deck, I shut down the Deck, plug in the SSD, start up, and I'm running Windows.Here's what I...
  4. How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows: Hi everyone so i was learning how to dual boot and want to flash an arch linux iso on my internal partition on win 10 can anyone advise me how to do it as rufus and etcher sometimes have the issue of corruption when flashing to an internal partition....
  5. How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to flash an internal ssd partition with a linux iso in windows: Hi everyone so i was learning how to dual boot and want to flash an arch linux iso on my internal partition on win 10 can anyone advise me how to do it as rufus and etcher sometimes have the issue of corruption when flashing to an internal partition....
  6. Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will this work to turn internal SSD into external drive?: Hi OK I got a new fan and attempted to fix my old laptop (the Acer Aspire 5742) but it didn't work. (Even though the old fan looks ok. And it wasn't even that dusty). But it was an eleven year old laptop, so... Anyway I still have 4 days work on the old laptop SSD. So will...
  7. Installed 2nd internal HD SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed 2nd internal HD SSD: I've installed a 2nd HD in my Acer ATC-710, It is not recognized by Windows 10. Help please. Doug Reed *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-2nd-internal-hd-ssd/00451f62-2c60-45b8-90c5-0a5564e3a3c1
  8. Auto restart after installing linux on an external ssd.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Auto restart after installing linux on an external ssd.: Hello, Recently I installed kali kinux on an usb 3.0 portable ssd, it booted up perfectly through the boot menu, but after booting back into windows, the 3.0 ports stopped working and everytime I try to turn off my PC, it boots back up. I've tried several things, like...
  9. Clean Install on an External SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Install on an External SSD: I’m wanting to do a full wipe of my PC and this time have Windows be installed on my external SSD. Is this smart? Should I just have Windows install on my default HDD? If it’s fine, how can I direct Windows to reinstall onto my external SSD when I go through resetting...
  10. Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop: Hi there I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted from an external SSD would have terrible performance. (I.e boot the Linux OS and from its VMware menu--> power on--> Windows...