Windows 10: A WBEM query returns no adapters during VMware sysprep for Windows 2016 Server

Discus and support A WBEM query returns no adapters during VMware sysprep for Windows 2016 Server in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Not sure if this is the right area, if not do you an alternate category where I should post this. During initial power on of a cloned Windows Server... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by DennisJurgensen, Jan 16, 2019.

1. A WBEM query returns no adapters during VMware sysprep for Windows 2016 Server

Not sure if this is the right area, if not do you an alternate category where I should post this.

During initial power on of a cloned Windows Server 2016 VM, there is a utility run that among other things does a webm query to check for network adapters.

"select * from win32_networkadapter where Manufacturer != 'Microsoft' and ServiceName != 'VMnetAdapter' and manufacturer is not null and MACAddress is not null."

Most of the time this returns the 3 adapters that we configured for this VM, but sometimes it fails and returns 0 objects. When this happens then the 3 adapters are left DHCP enabled and since we don't have any DHCP server, they all get 169.X.X.X address.

If I log into a VM that is in this condition through VMware VCenter, I can run the same query using wbemtest and it correctly returns 3 objects. Also running Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter also shows the three adapters that are returned with the webmtest query.

My thoughts are that for some reason during the customization happening during initial power on the adapters may or may not show up due to some timing issue. Could anyone verify that this could be a possibility?

Thanks

:)

DennisJurgensen, Jan 16, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Announcing the new VMware migration offer for Windows Server 2016

Source: Announcing the new VMware migration offer for Windows Server 2016 | Windows Server Blog

Brink, Jan 16, 2019
  3. John Ado Win User
    John Ado, Jan 16, 2019
  4. JonW2016 Win User

A WBEM query returns no adapters during VMware sysprep for Windows 2016 Server

Windows 10 Update breaks Sysprep?

I am attempting to image a Dell E7470 with Sysprep to upload to my WDS server.

When I run Sysprep /oobe / shutdown, it completes. However, without Generalize, I won't be able to upload it or deploy it.

When I run Sysprep /oobe /generalize / shutdown, it reports that a fatal error has occurred. The setupact.log lists that the Miracastview app cannot be removed.

I have attempted the Remove-appxpackage commands, but it states that it has been provisioned for the user but not all users. It says to attempt removal with Add / Remove Windows features, but it is not listed there.

I have tried the steps in

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...w-cause-sysprep-error-windows-10-version-1709

but none of this has worked either.

I guess the answer is to not run any Windows updates before Sysprep and avoid 1709? It appears to be bad news.

Anybody else encounter this? Any other solutions available?

JonW2016, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

A WBEM query returns no adapters during VMware sysprep for Windows 2016 Server

1. A WBEM query returns no adapters during VMware sysprep for Windows 2016 Server - Similar Threads - WBEM query returns

2. Virtual network adapter not getting installed during VMware installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual network adapter not getting installed during VMware installation: Hello, I recently downloaded VMware without any issues, but I had to uninstall it because it caused my VPN to stop working. Even after uninstalling VMware, my VPN still isn't functioning correctly. Now, when I try to download VMware from the official website, the virtual...
  3. Virtual network adapter not getting installed during VMware installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual network adapter not getting installed during VMware installation: Hello, I recently downloaded VMware without any issues, but I had to uninstall it because it caused my VPN to stop working. Even after uninstalling VMware, my VPN still isn't functioning correctly. Now, when I try to download VMware from the official website, the virtual...
  4. Windows server 2016 or 2012 in VMware installed in Windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows server 2016 or 2012 in VMware installed in Windows 10 home: Dears,My local machine have an windows 10 home OS installed . I am trying to install a windows server 2016 or 2012 within a VMware pro 15 , when begin installing , my local host machine will give a blue screen error and the whole machine is restarted , there is error code...
  5. Windows server 2016 or 2012 in VMware installed in Windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows server 2016 or 2012 in VMware installed in Windows 10 home: Dears,My local machine have an windows 10 home OS installed . I am trying to install a windows server 2016 or 2012 within a VMware pro 15 , when begin installing , my local host machine will give a blue screen error and the whole machine is restarted , there is error code...
  6. Windows server 2016 or 2012 in VMware installed in Windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Server 2016: I've inherited some problems at a new employer related to Windows Server 2016. I know Server 2012 and older pretty well, but not 2016. The problem is that something is killing Admin Control. Admins can still log in, but things that require Admin Elevation or just admin...
  8. Returning to Outlook query

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Returning to Outlook query: Hi. Up until August I used Outlook 16 for all my emails (POP3 to keep a local copy) then switched to eM Client (also POP3). I’ve now gone back to Outlook and want my outlook.pst updated with those new emails, folders etc I created in eM Client. Ive exported to .eml folders...
  9. Sysprep query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sysprep query: Hello, If I run sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:C\windows\system32\sysprep\customize.xml Where does the xml file go to exactly? 84858
  10. Announcing the new VMware migration offer for Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing the new VMware migration offer for Windows Server 2016: With the launch of Windows Server 2016, customers have more reasons than ever to switch from VMware to Microsoft. We want to make it an easy decision for VMware customers to switch to Hyper-V, so today we are announcing a new VMware migration offer. Free Windows Server...