Windows 10: A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work?

Discus and support A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Attempts to mitigate the landmark vulnerabilities have caused crashes, sudden reboots, and performance degradations. Here's the progress report on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work?

Read more: A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work? - TechRepublic

:)

Brink, Dec 24, 2018

2. Meltdown & Spectre Patches Clarification

Hi All,

We use WSUS tool for patching Windows Server in our Environment. From January, we declined all Meltdown and Spectre patches specified in the below link as it was causing performance issues.

Link :
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073757/protect-your-windows-devices-against-spectre-meltdown

These patches have been superseded in the following months, For instance the below table has two patches being superseded in the following month.

Out of 4 superseding patches, only the highlighted(KB4089187) patch is mentioned as Meltdown and Spectre patch in the above link and we declined it.

Whereas remaining superseded patches have been approved and installed in servers.

Here we need a clarification whether the installed superseding patches will have the Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerability. Also please confirm if all superseding patch of Meltdown/Spectre has any performance issue.

Priya Rajendran, Dec 24, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Spectre and meltdown

Hi CMC69, below is a link that provides a list of the patches released and possibly installed on your system for Spectre and Meltdown:

https://www.techarp.com/guides/microsoft-spectr...

If these are installed, you can uninstall these from Control Panel - Programs and Features - View Installed Updates . . .

DaveM121, Dec 24, 2018
  4. A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work?

Meltdown and Spectre patching

Hi,

For Meltdown and Spectre patching, I know that we have to patch Windows Server first and patch SQL Server after, my question is what if my Windows Server is not supported anymore (Windows Server 2008) do I have to patch SQL Server which is still supported
    by Microsoft against Meltdown and Spectre even if the OS is not patched against the same threat?

Thank you,

LookingForAnswer_AM, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work?

1. A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work? - Similar Threads - Spectre Meltdown patches

2. How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together: As you know, MS just release a method to disable Downfall patchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5029778-how-to-manage-the-vulnerability-associated-with-cve-2022-40982-d461157c-0411-4a91-9fc5-9b29e0fe2782Registry location:...
  3. How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together: As you know, MS just release a method to disable Downfall patchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5029778-how-to-manage-the-vulnerability-associated-with-cve-2022-40982-d461157c-0411-4a91-9fc5-9b29e0fe2782Registry location:...
  4. Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?: I have heard that Spectre/Meltdown patches for Windows 10 result in performance hit for certain processors. I have 5 PCs with the following processors:I7-7700KI5-6500I7-7700HQI7-4800MQM5-6Y57Am I affected ?Does Windows 11 have these patches as well and do they result in...
  5. Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?: I have heard that Spectre/Meltdown patches for Windows 10 result in performance hit for certain processors. I have 5 PCs with the following processors:I7-7700KI5-6500I7-7700HQI7-4800MQM5-6Y57Am I affected ?Does Windows 11 have these patches as well and do they result in...
  6. Do Spectre/Meltdown patches for windows 10 affect me ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??: GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched? Re: Doesn't One of These Patches Require Flashing The Bios? I did not run Gibson's InSpectre some three weeks or so ago when I was unceremoniously updated from 1703 to 1709. I thought that either Meltdown or Spectre patches...
  8. Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

in Windows 10 Support
    Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!: Well as the title says the Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined the good experience I was having with my PC and it now feels like I am using a very old and out of date laptop. I must agree that my laptop is pretty old (HP Elitebook 8770W 5 years old). But I really never felt...
  9. Freeze after meltdown/spectre patch ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeze after meltdown/spectre patch ?: So after arriving home from holidays I noticed windows was installing the latest patches including the one for the recently discovered vulnerabilities. After 1-3 days problems started to appear, my computer would randomly freeze, first I wouldnt be able to click anything,...
  10. How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown?

in Windows 10 News
    How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown?: Intel has published both data collected from both users and synthetic benchmarks and the bottom line is that users will experience a real-world performance hit of about between six and eight percent, with systems running 8th-generation processors seeing a smaller impact than...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. danger for turning meltdown and spectre off as desktop user?