Windows 10: Able To Access BitLocker Files In Recent Files Without Credentials After Locking The...

Discus and support Able To Access BitLocker Files In Recent Files Without Credentials After Locking The... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I use bit locker on usb drives and certain partitions on my computer. I use manage-bde -lock -ForceDismount x: to re-secure the drive when im... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by hacker_1, Feb 8, 2019.

1. hacker_1 Win User

Able To Access BitLocker Files In Recent Files Without Credentials After Locking The...

Hello,

I use bit locker on usb drives and certain partitions on my computer. I use manage-bde -lock -ForceDismount x: to re-secure the drive when im done with it but still working on the machine. After execution I get "Volume x: is now locked"

I noticed that after dismounting the encrypted drives with the above mentioned command, "File Explorer" still keeps the files that reside on the encrypted drives in the "recent files" buffer and can still be viewed without creds.

I'm not worried now that I noticed it because I can update my Op Sec Procedures to include wiping the "recent files" buffer. Its kinda inconvenient and others may not be aware.

Its common to assume that while a user is logged in, that the user is in control of all local security issues. This is, of course, an antiquated perspective and leaves countless millions of users open to data breaches via various means. Back in the DOS days it was pretty easy to plug the holes and watch the logs but machines are so hyper complex that additional security software packages are handed this responsibility. That software assumes the same active user security status and is badly mistaken.

Please let the bit locker engineers know about this and have them modify the "recent files" registry to remove any files associated with an encrypted origin. Of for that matter, never update the "recent files" buffer with anything from an encrypted drive. Ill take security over convenience in this case...

thanks

***Edited Original Title From: Bit Locker Fail s***

:)

hacker_1, Feb 8, 2019
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 8, 2019
  3. eidairaman1, Feb 8, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Able To Access BitLocker Files In Recent Files Without Credentials After Locking The...

Recent File List

to prevent it from autopopulating try making the reg key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List read only

slozomby, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Able To Access BitLocker Files In Recent Files Without Credentials After Locking The... - Similar Threads - Able Access BitLocker

2. Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...: Simple steps to reproduce:Unlock a bitlocked drive.Open a file from that drive example = image fileReboot machine, confirm drive is relocked.From "Recent Items," attempt to open the fileThe file opens, even though the drive is lockedWHOA!Obviously this is a massive security...
  3. Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...: Simple steps to reproduce:Unlock a bitlocked drive.Open a file from that drive example = image fileReboot machine, confirm drive is relocked.From "Recent Items," attempt to open the fileThe file opens, even though the drive is lockedWHOA!Obviously this is a massive security...
  4. Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. No wifi access after Bitlocker lock.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No wifi access after Bitlocker lock.: Hello, my computer locked into bitlocker mode, I had my key handy and entered it in. However, after logging back into my laptop; internet access and Bluetooth access are both unusable. It looks as the only way I can access the internet is to use an Ethernet cable, and I don’t...
  6. No wifi access after Bitlocker lock.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No wifi access after Bitlocker lock.: Hello, my computer locked into bitlocker mode, I had my key handy and entered it in. However, after logging back into my laptop; internet access and Bluetooth access are both unusable. It looks as the only way I can access the internet is to use an Ethernet cable, and I don’t...
  7. Quick Access & Recent files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access & Recent files: Hi i want to increase the number of "recent files" shown in the quick access function to more than 20, ideally 50. I don't want workarounds or rely on me pinning things, I just want to see more than 20 recent files. The current limit is a hindrance to my work as 20 files...
  8. Unlocking files locked with BitLocker

Unlocking files locked with BitLocker: After an update to my Windows 10 Pro edition, I no longer have access to the files in the Documents folder on my C drive. I had previously encrypted these with BitLocker but now it is showing that BitLocker is turned off and logging in to my user account no longer unencrypts...
  9. Recent files access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent files access: I cannot find a list of recent files in Microsoft Office since the last update more like a down date! Formerly in Word, Excel and Powerpoint, I could Right click on Taskbar icon and a list would Pop Up. That has disappeared. Where are they? Also the Facebook icon no...
  10. Lock Icon after moving Bitlocker files.

Lock Icon after moving Bitlocker files.: [img] Hi, I had some folders and files in a drive which were locked by Bitlocker. I did a re-install of my Windows 10 to add a SSD. During this, i just opened the the bitlocker drive with password and moved those files to an external drive(I did not decrypt them before...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bitlocker encrypted drive files accessible in quick access after locking drive