Windows 10: About Differential & Incremental images

Discus and support About Differential & Incremental images in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; *YouTube video player Great, ! So far, I haven't succeeded in creating WinPE through Macrium. So it looks like I need a tutorial. You are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Kari, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Kari Win User

About Differential & Incremental images

*YouTube video player

Thanks Wynona!

Quick tut for you my dear lady! Only for you, I've hidden this post from anyone else *Wink

Select Create Rescue Media from Other Tasks menu:

About Differential & Incremental images [​IMG]

Accept all defaults, in final dialog select CD / ISO / USB, click Finish:

That's it.

And even easier alternative, select Add Recovery Boot Menu Option from Other Tasks:

Select Windows PE 10.0, click OK:

When done, you have Macrium Rescue in Windows 10 boot menu:

When selected it creates Macrium Rescue WinPE on a RAM disk, boots to it and you can either create or restore an image.

:)

2. System images

Yep give it a try it's a great free alternative

You can mount Reflect images and copy and paste a single file if you want too About Differential & Incremental images ;)

It also does incremental or differential in the free version too I believe just not for business use that requires the paid version.

But it is more versatile and a lot faster than windows imaging plus it is more reliable which counts the most when you really have to restore an image About Differential & Incremental images :)

Edit Reflect free will do Differential images instead of Incremental.

ThrashZone, Jul 27, 2016
  3. Penmere0 Win User
    System images

Thanks for your reply.

I should have written that the system images were made by Windows 10.

Does Windows 10 do a differential or incremental backup?

Thanks again for your reply.

Penmere0, Jul 27, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Nice Kari. Still doesn't make sense*Sad to me.

simrick, Jul 28, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    It's really logical and simple. A differential image saves all changes since your last full backup. Let's say you clean install Windows, make an image before any software is installed, that's your parent image, the full backup.

Install Office and CyberLink stuff, create a differential image. Image only contains Office and CyberLink plus files changed in WIndows system folders because of them, in other words only the changes made after last backup.

Install Opera, Firefox and Chrome, create another differential image. Because differential image alwas saves all chages after the last full backup, it will now ignore the fact that Office and CyberLink stuff have already been backed up and creates an image containing Office, CyberLink stuff, Opera, Firefox and Chrome.

It had been cleverer to create now an incremental image, because an incremental image only stores changes since whatever the last backup was (full, differential, incremental). In this case it had seen the full backup and thought OK, that WIndows stuff is already backed up, then moved on and seen the first differential backup being pleased to see that Office and CyberLink stuff have been backed up already, too, so it only needs to work relatively little and backup Opera, Firefox and Chrome.

6. Wynona Win User
    A differential, put simply, is a device that allows one input to drive two outputs at differing speeds. . .

Oh, we're talking software backup, not cars!?

Wynona, Jul 28, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    If my last full backup was my parent (clean install), then the second differential should be all changes since that point. So it would include everything in differential #1, plus everything after that.

And if one of the incremental images fails or gets corrupted, your restore is in the bin....

Yeah, no thanks, I'll make full backups. *Wink

simrick, Jul 28, 2016
  8. Wynona Win User

Checking if I learned anything, Simrick; I think after the first differential, if you did another differential, that would be Differential #2 and would be used along with the original Full backup? Differential #1 would be discarded?

I haven't gotten far enough to learn corrupted . . .

Note that I edited my first paragraph.

Wynona, Jul 28, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    I've used Macrium since the month Windows 7 was launced, Octobr 2009. I have never had a corrupt image. Anyway, using differential and incremental images "spreads" the risk; even if one of these child backups would go missing or get corrupted, you always have the parent full backup and maybe some later child ones.

Exactly. Differential image is egoistic, don't care about any other backups than the last full one. Everything since last full backup will be ignored and all changes saved to a new differential. Incremental is more social, it accets anything, only saving the changes since the last backup, be it full, differential or incremental.

When restoring from a differential image you alway need just two images: the last differential and last full. Restoring from incremental image you need full backup, last differential if one exists, and all incremental backups since that.

10. Wynona Win User
    OK, I have a couple of questions, please, Kari.

1. Will the WinPE flash drive I just made work with both the Windows Insider Builds and the Anniversary Build we'll have in a few days? Or will it just work with Build 10586 (which I was on when I made it)?

2. I'm on a dual boot system and once I clean install the Anniversary Build, I want to make a full backup; however, all of the partitions are checked. How am I supposed to know which is which? Mainly of the recovery partitions; I'm guessing I will want them too.

Wynona, Jul 28, 2016
  11. Kari Win User
    WinPE does not care what operating systems you have installed on your PC. It is its own entity, booting directly to its own mini-OS, having no connection to the operating systems on that machine. It can access the physical side, the devices to some extent but for WinPE and Macrium rescue media it could not be more irrelevant what it finds as long as it can read the disks.

Rule of thumb, assuming your disks are set as Windows installation them normally sets: on UEFI / GPT systems you need to include four first partitions of first disk ( UEFI system partitions (3) and C: drive) to get Windows backed up so that the image when restored is bootable.

On BIOS / MBR systems that's two partitions, system reserved and C: drive.

You can let Macrium automatically select those partitions for you, excluding all other disks and partitions:

12. Wynona Win User
    Thank you, Kari. I had to stop and fix supper for Johnny, so I hope you're getting some well-deserved sleep by now.

In the morning is time enough to answer this one last question . . .

I'm guessing that whichever partition I'm in, that's what Macrium will back up when I let it choose? IOW, if I'm in the Insider Build partition, that's what'll get backed up and vice versa for the Anniversary Edition?

Wynona, Jul 28, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

Hi Wynona. I'll take a shot at this one.
    When you tell Macrium to back up the partitions required to boot Windows, it looks for all Windows installations on the machine, and selects all partitions required to backup all Windows installations. I have a dual-boot XP/10 on 2 different physical internal drives on one machine here, and when I select that option in Macrium, it sees and grabs both Windows installations.

simrick, Jul 28, 2016
  14. Wynona Win User
    Thanks, Simrick. And that's not what I want to do . . . I would want it to back up partition A and its necessary parts, but leave partition B alone.

Wynona, Jul 28, 2016
  15. CountMike New Member
    Just choose which partitions you want to backup and it will back those up only.

CountMike, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

1. About Differential & Incremental images - Similar Threads - Differential Incremental images

2. Easeus Todo Backup differential/incremental questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Easeus Todo Backup differential/incremental questions: Hello everyone. I've been having some issues with setting up my backup scheme and I can't for the life of me figure this one out. So, been using the software on the title for a while. One of my file backups is about 2.5TB. Now, older versions of the software (namely 9.x) used...
  3. Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I think it probably doesn't matter but I want to make sure. Macrium Reflect (free) is a great program! My computer is Windows...
  4. Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

in Windows 10 Support
    Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I think it probably doesn't matter but I want to make sure. Macrium Reflect (free) is a great program! My computer is Windows...
  5. Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. Macrium Reflect free allows 4 differential backups per full backup. If I have a full backup and 1 differential backup and I want to make a second differential backup, does it matter if I make it from the 1st differential backup or from the full backup? Thanks in advance...
  6. About System Image:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About System Image:: Hello there! I just thought of this question out of my mind quickly. So, the question is... If I created a System Image Backup on my Windows PC on my hard drive, And when I use a different PC/Laptop (Windows version), and go to advance options where you can restore your...
  7. Do you prefer incremental or differential backups?

Do you prefer incremental or differential backups?: Would like to get an idea of other user's backup strategy preference. Do you prefer to do differential or incremental image backups to compliment you full images? Or are the some that do both or maybe neither (full image backups only)... *Huh Interested to hear what you guys...
  8. Imaging with differential and password supported?

Imaging with differential and password supported?: Macrium free has differential but doesnt have encrtyption of images... what i can use in alternative? 86025
  9. Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity

Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity: Is there any way to see what changed between the most recent image and the previous image? I see the file size increase nearly daily when I have not always made any major changes to my system. I know Windows saves new logs daily, but sometimes the change is 10GB+ after...
  10. Confused about Imaging

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about Imaging: Ok so I have been making System Images with Windows 7 (and now Windows 10) for a long time now, onto a portable hard drive. I rename them afterwards to things like "HpJune2016cleaninstall" so I know which one is which. I just read somewhere that to restore an image it has to...