Windows 10: About error of Event ID 98

Discus and support About error of Event ID 98 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have workstation which is installed on Windows 10 version 1607. I just found out there is <!> mark on C drive in Devices and drives windows. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by -KELLY-, Apr 15, 2019.

1. -KELLY- Win User

About error of Event ID 98

I have workstation which is installed on Windows 10 version 1607. I just found out there is <!> mark on C drive in Devices and drives windows. When I take a look at event log, there are event ID 98 error in application event logs in past two months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Event ID : 98
    Source : Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)
    Level : Error

Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume2) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the cause of this error was I mistakenly pull out the electric cable from the workstation, and baterry was dead, so the workstation is forcebly shut down. I canceled check disk running when I powered on the workstation after that.

C drive is OS installation drive, and it is SSD.

I don't feel good on Running Check Disk because it sometimes break the system by forcibly changing some configuration for their "Repair" action in my past experience. Is there any other good way how to deal with the error?

Any advice will be gratefully appreciate it. Thank you.

:)

-KELLY-, Apr 15, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98

Hi, suggest you try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - gives a great quick analysis (SSDs too).

Please post the results.

Event ID 153:
    This event may be an indication that the specified drive may be failing soon. This is especially true if the event is recorded regularly. The first step is to run the maintenance utilities related to hard drives, starting with CHKDSK and the utilities available from the manufacturer for that specific brand.

Event ID 98:
    Event ID: 98

dalchina, Apr 15, 2019
  3. computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98

Hello,

I'm experiencing some issues with one of my drives.. not sure which.

I get the event viewer id 153 error along with event id 98

I will provide screenshots of the errors to hopefully support getting help with this problem.

I've tried replacing my PSU as this was the culprit to my previous issues with windows failing to boot and this solved my problem for awhile.. now it's back.

I've also tried switching ports and sata cables in hopes this would solve the problem along with CHKDSK and S.M.A.R.T. test.. all comes back clean and good health

BrandonR188, Apr 15, 2019
  4. benoitvm Win User

Event 98 - but where is '\Device\HarddiskVolume11'

I am getting several unexpected 'Restart to repair drive errors'.

In the Windows Log, I can see corresponding Event 98 ('Volume Recovery (\Device\HarddiskVolume11) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk.')

The errors occur while working with a Local Account ('user' privileges), and there is a SUBSTituted drive used; however, the drive containing the subst'ed directory is perfectly sane (chkdsk = no errors); same for all drives on the PC.

The catch is, when I run diskpart / list volumes, there is nothing listed as Volume 11 on this system ! WTH ????

Where is this volume 11 ????

benoitvm, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

1. About error of Event ID 98 - Similar Threads - error Event

2. Unstable System, hundreds of errors in event viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unstable System, hundreds of errors in event viewer: Hello,Recently my system has been getting progressively worse. This started at the end of February. But, just today alone when I look in the event viewer I have had hundreds of errors saying "The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3...
  3. Unstable System, hundreds of errors in event viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unstable System, hundreds of errors in event viewer: Hello,Recently my system has been getting progressively worse. This started at the end of February. But, just today alone when I look in the event viewer I have had hundreds of errors saying "The NVIDIA LocalSystem Container service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 3...
  4. A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error: Get this error a lot, event viewer logs get spammed with this for a while then its fine for a while then it happens again.Its always Processor APIC ID: 20 OR 21Plzz help DETAILED VIEW:-System-Provider[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger[...
  5. A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error

A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error: Get this error a lot, event viewer logs get spammed with this for a while then its fine for a while then it happens again.Its always Processor APIC ID: 20 OR 21Plzz help DETAILED VIEW:-System-Provider[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger[...
  6. A lot of Event ID 19, WHEA-Logger. Translation Lookaside Buffer Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Error Live Kernel event 124

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Live Kernel event 124: My computer specs are:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core ProcessorB450 AORUS M AM4AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GBKINGSTON SA400S37480G SSDST2000DM008-2FR102 HDD4 BANKS OF RAM DDR4, 16GB IN TOTALWindows 10 I already had problems with the power supply some time ago, my PC rebooted randomly...
  8. Error Live Kernel event 124

Error Live Kernel event 124: My computer specs are:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core ProcessorB450 AORUS M AM4AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GBKINGSTON SA400S37480G SSDST2000DM008-2FR102 HDD4 BANKS OF RAM DDR4, 16GB IN TOTALWindows 10 I already had problems with the power supply some time ago, my PC rebooted randomly...
  9. Error Live Kernel event 124

10. i need some seriously help with errors at my event wiever

i need some seriously help with errors at my event wiever: Im having trouble with those errors listed below, any kind of would appreicated. Kernel-PnP event ID: 219<System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" /> <EventID>219</EventID> <Version>0</Version> <Level>3</Level>...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. event id 98