Windows 10: About File Associations Re: 1803

Discus and support About File Associations Re: 1803 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have seen plenty of what appear to me to be somewhat complicated fixes that I do not quite understand most dealing with the registry... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phaedruspress, Dec 13, 2018.

1. About File Associations Re: 1803

So I have seen plenty of what appear to me to be somewhat complicated fixes that I do not quite understand most dealing with the registry

https://p0w3rsh3ll.wordpress.com/201...-associations/

so I was wondering if there is anything new out there that is for dummies.

Came across this simple suggestion and wonder if you think it will work (not home now)

https://superuser.com/questions/1291...e-associations

What I have discovered is much easier. I save the file, that isn't opening correctly, to the desktop. I then right click on the file and choose ''open with'' it then prompts a menu that you must check the box that says ''always open with this program'' then you scroll down to the bottom of the list and you will see ''find another program on this pc'' choose that. It will then take you to the c drive and into the 64bit program folder. If you need to get to the programs 86x you'll have to back it out to the c drive. Then you just drill down into the folder of the program you need to associate it with.

For example I want to associate all image files with FastStone Image Viewer though as you all well know each time I do it it does not stick.

Thanks.

:)

phaedruspress, Dec 13, 2018
  2. mandoist Win User

File Association Helper in Startup

from another forum on May 6, 2018:
    You can uninstall File Association Helper in less than 5 minutes. Here are the steps to follow:

Step 1 — Uninstall File Association Helper via Control Panel

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel.
    Then go to Uninstall a program > locate File Association Helper in the list and select it
    Select Uninstall > wait until Windows completely removes FAH from your PC.
    Restart your PC.
    Step 2 — Clean the Registry Editor

Now that you removed the program, you also need to remove any traces or file changes associated with it. To do that, you need to open the Registry Editor.

Go to Start > type “regedit” > launch the Registry Editor
    Locate the following keys and delete them:
    KEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareFile Association Helper
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareFile Association Helper

Step 3 — Check all the hidden files and folders

File Association Helper may have left behind various hidden files and folders. In order to completely remove the software, you can also need to delete these files. Here’s how to do that:

Simply go to Start > type Control Panel > double click the first result to launch Control Panel. On Windows 10, you can also type “Show hidden files and folder” in the search box. Then simply check Show hidden files, folders and drives and jump straight to step number 3.
    RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix common PC issues and speed up your system
    Go to Folder > select Show Hidden Files and Folders
    Locate the following folders:
    CAbout File Associations Re: 1803 :program FilesFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocument and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataFile Association Helper
    C*Biggrinocuments and Settings%USER%Application DataFile Association Helper

4. Delete them and then restart your PC.

Step 4 — Empty Temp Folder

The final step is to clean the Temp folder where all the temporary files are stored. To empty the folder, go to Start and type the %temp% command.

This will open the Temp folders. You can now empty them. If the system displays an error message when deleting some files, leave them. The files might be in use by Windows services or some running software.

Step 5 — Use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers

After you performed all the steps listed above, you have removed 99.9% of all the files and folders left behind by File Association Helper. However, there may be a few file that escaped your scrutiny. In order to make sure that you have removed all of them, you can also use a dedicated software uninstaller.

These applications are specially designed to remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. As a result, the application will be completely removed from your PC.

There are many great uninstaller tools available on the market, but the best are IOBit Uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller so feel free to try any of these tools.

mandoist, Dec 13, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards

What's left of it. Shrunk a bit over the years though (Display, Personalisation, help menu). What will be removed next?

1803 RTM (W10 Pro)

About File Associations Re: 1803 [​IMG]

1507 RTM (W10 Pro)

4. Berton Win User

About File Associations Re: 1803

Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards

Control Panel still works fine on latest Win10 Version 1803 RTM.

Berton, Dec 13, 2018
Thema:

About File Associations Re: 1803

1. About File Associations Re: 1803 - Similar Threads - File Associations 1803

2. Could not re-associate with file history data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Could not re-associate with file history data: I recently used Windows 10's FileHistory to back up my files so that I could format my laptop to send to Lenovo for technical support. Using File History, I backed up my files in a working but old HDD Iomega and now cannot seem to restore the files I can see they are there...
  3. File Associations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Associations: I have imported and saved personal photos of friends and family. I would like to use them as screensavers on a random, rotating basis. When I go to Settings and Personalization, I am asked to associate all the photos I would like to use with a file or program extension. I...
  4. About File Associations Re: 1803

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    About File Associations Re: 1803: So I have seen plenty of what appear to me to be somewhat complicated fixes that I do not quite understand most dealing with the registry https://p0w3rsh3ll.wordpress.com/201...-associations/ so I was wondering if there is anything new out there that is for dummies. Came...
  5. Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft confirms File Association bug in Windows 10 version 1803: Microsoft confirmed on November 8, 2018 that the option to set custom file associations is broken for some users on Windows 10 version 1803. The issue, first reported on November 5, 2018 by Chris Hoffman on How To Geek, prevents users and administrators from selecting custom...
  6. Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803

in Windows 10 Customization
    Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803: Hi, I need to associate a file type of .opt with Notepad, but .opt doesn't show on the "Choose default apps by file type" screen. Is there a way to do this? Thanks....
  7. Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803

Associate .opt file with Notepad on Windows version 1803: Hi, I need to associate a file type of .opt with Notepad, but .opt doesn't show on the "Choose default apps by file type" screen. Is there a way to do this? Thanks....
  8. Windows 10 1803 file association issue

Windows 10 1803 file association issue: Hi guys.. came across this issue on several brand new machines 2 x intel NUC 1 x microsoft surface pro 4 Booted up ran all the windows updates first.. so all fresh install joined domain installed filemaker tried to associate filemaker file (.FMP12) to filemaker...
  9. About the taskbar in 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    About the taskbar in 1803: Once I resolved my issue of not being able to sign in after upgrading to Spring Creator’s, I noticed something about the taskbar. In 1803, is the taskbar glass by default, just like Start? I know that Classic Shell has the ability to make it glass in Windows 10, but even if...
  10. File Association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Association: I use MS Office 2003 with Frontpage which works well in Win and does all I need. How can I associate .html files to open with Frontpage. In Control Panel - set default programs it dos not show Frontpage as an option. In Control Panel set File associations - it...