Windows 10: About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender

Discus and support About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you administrate systems protected by Windows Defender, the default antivirus solution that is included in Windows, you may have noticed that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 31, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender

If you administrate systems protected by Windows Defender, the default antivirus solution that is included in Windows, you may have noticed that Windows Update downloaded a definitions update called Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus.

Windows Update downloaded Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus previously. Did Microsoft change the name of the definition update files, or are there differences between Security Intelligence Updates and Definition Updates for Windows Defender Antivirus?

The short answer for those who are in a hurry: Microsoft changed the name from Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus to Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus.

Is it a permanent change or a one-time change? We don't know, because Microsoft did not announce the change. The most likely scenario is that it is a permanent change.

About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender security-intelligence-update-for-windows-defender-antivirus.png

Microsoft likes to rename products and services. The company changed Office Online to Office in 2019 and some Windows 10 terminology in 2017. Windows Defender and some of the services that run under the Windows Defender name will also be renamed to Microsoft Defender in 2020 if Microsoft does not revert the change.

A click on the support article link of the definition update opens a page on the Microsoft website. The page uses the new term, Security intelligence updates, already. Microsoft uses the terminology elsewhere already, a strong indicator that the name change is permanent.

A click on the release notes link on that page lists all changes to the definitions file made by the most recent update. Security intelligence update is used on the page as well.

Windows Defender Antivirus definition updates are downloaded via Windows Update on Home systems running Windows. These definition updates update the database that Windows Defender uses to determine whether files are malicious or problematic in nature, or clean.

Windows 10 users may open the Settings application -- from the Start Menu or by using the keyboard shortcut Windows-I -- and select Update & Security > View Update History to get a list of all installed updates. Definition updates are listed in a group for easier recognition.

Closing Words

The name change may be confusing when it is encountered for the first time; it is a legitimate change, however, and nothing to worry about.

Now You: Do you use Windows Defender or another antivirus solution?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 31, 2019

2. Use Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to enable trust for executables based on classifications in the ISG, the
    Enabled:Intelligent Security Graph authorization option must be specified in the WDAC policy. This can be done with the Set-RuleOption cmdlet. In addition, it is recommended from a security perspective to also enable the
    Enabled:Invalidate EAs on Reboot option to invalidate the cached ISG results on reboot to force rechecking of applications against the ISG.

Since the ISG relies on identifying executables as being known good, there are cases where it may classify legitimate executables as unknown, leading to blocks that need to be resolved either with a rule in the WDAC policy, a catalog signed by a certificate
    trusted in the WDAC policy or by deployment through a WDAC managed installer. Typically, this is due to an installer or application using a dynamic file as part of execution. These files do not tend to
    build up known good reputation. Auto-updating applications have also been observed using this mechanism and may be flagged by the ISG.

Modern apps are not supported with the ISG heuristic and will need to be separately authorized in your WDAC policy. As modern apps are signed by the Microsoft Store and Microsoft Store for Business. It is straightforward to authorize modern apps with
    signer rules in the WDAC policy.

Enabled:Intelligent Security Graph Authorization -> Use this option to automatically allow applications with "known good" reputation as defined by Microsoft’s Intelligent Security Graph (ISG).

Enabled:Invalidate EAs on Reboot -> When the Intelligent Security Graph option (14) is used, WDAC sets an extended file attribute that indicates that the file was authorized to run. This option will cause WDAC to periodically
    re-validate the reputation for files that were authorized by the ISG.

For more information, you may refer the below articles.

If you still have questions, then I suggest you to post your query in
    IT Pro TechNet Forums
    , where we have support
    professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph.

Please feel free to contact us back, in case you have any other questions/issues with Windows in future.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 31, 2019
  3. Use Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph

Hi,

Thank you for replying and I apologize for the delayed response.

I suggest you to post this query in IT Pro TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals, who will answer all your questions related to Windows Defender Application Control (WDAC) with the Microsoft Intelligent Security Graph and provide you more information
    on this.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 31, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Stepping up protection with intelligent security

Source: Stepping up protection with intelligent security | Microsoft Secure Blog

Brink, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. About Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender - Similar Threads - Security Intelligence Updates

2. Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to download 'Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus -...: I can't the update and have a download error - 0x80070002 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-download-security-intelligence-update/add704d4-2999-4231-89af-320230679300
  3. Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates: Hey there everyone, Having an issue across a few devices in the family. For whatever reason, Security Intelligence updates are not actually able to update on their own. If I go to "Virus & Threat Protection" in Windows then check for Security Intelligence updates, it just...
  4. Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates: Hey there everyone, Having an issue across a few devices in the family. For whatever reason, Security Intelligence updates are not actually able to update on their own. If I go to "Virus & Threat Protection" in Windows then check for Security Intelligence updates, it just...
  5. Issues with Defender Security Intelligence updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus

Security Intelligence Updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus: Is it possible to stop receiving these updates? If so, how?OS: Windows 11 Pro v 22H2 Build 22621.382AV: Malwarebytes Premium v 4.5.13.208 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/security-intelligence-updates-for-microsoft/58662316-c0ac-4d55-8967-300a2cd66ca2
  7. Are Microsoft Defender monthly Security Intelligence updates cumulative?

Are Microsoft Defender monthly Security Intelligence updates cumulative?: hi,I'm managing a range of totally isolated Win10 Enterprise servers used in Industrial Control. I'm setting up manual patching, but I need to understand if to get fully up to date I need to run in every monthly patch since last many months or I can just use the latest...
  8. Are Microsoft Defender monthly Security Intelligence updates cumulative?

Are Microsoft Defender monthly Security Intelligence updates cumulative?: hi,I'm managing a range of totally isolated Win10 Enterprise servers used in Industrial Control. I'm setting up manual patching, but I need to understand if to get fully up to date I need to run in every monthly patch since last many months or I can just use the latest...
  9. Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus: Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 was the last defender update that installed. There is usually a daily update and there still is on my other laptop with WIndows 10 OS. Is there a known fix for this? Thank you....
  10. Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus: I have 6 'important updates' that I have tried to install for about 4 weeks however I am having trouble. The updates will begin to install and then when they hit 100% they will reinstall, this happens twice and then my computer will restart. Has anybody had this issue...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Security Intelligence-Update für Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.299.2625.0)

2. windows 10 security intelligence not updating 2019

3. security intelligence windows update