Windows 10: About Tech-Support Scams and How to Detect Them

Discus and support About Tech-Support Scams and How to Detect Them in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Want to detect a fake tech support scam? Here's how you can. I'm going to use this one as a example to where you can try it yourself.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TheOldyMinecart, Dec 14, 2019.

1. About Tech-Support Scams and How to Detect Them

Want to detect a fake tech support scam? Here's how you can.

I'm going to use this one as a example to where you can try it yourself.

http://noncommerciality.space/a/R0EDfdfdfdfddfd99900RF/

FAIR WARNING: DO NOT CALL ANY TOLL FREE NUMBERS LISTED!

So, to detect that a website is a scam (like this one is), all you need to do is close it and don't reopen it.

If, for some reason, you click on the inside part, your Chrome window will go full screen. At this point, you must force-stop Chrome using the Task Manager. Unfortunately, all your other tabs will go too.

HOWEVER, there is ANOTHER way to detect a website is a scam. If, at any point, you run into a tech support scam, you can also do this: Within Chrome, do Ctrl + U and you will be shown the site's source code. Then, do Ctrl + F to bring up Chrome's "Find" menu. I'd recommend you'd look for "chrome", ".jpg", ".png", ".wav", "JavaScript", ".mp3", among other various things that scammers use to fake a tech support warning.

For me, while I was browsing through the source code of the website listed above, I found files labeled "bg-1.jpg", "bg-2.jpg", bg-3.jpg", "err.mp3", and "2.png".

bg-1, bg-2, and bg-3.jpg were all used to spoof the Chrome's top bar. Unfortunately for them, it is still the older, non-material design bar. 2.png was just a random "Windows Activation" dialogue box with terrible use of capitalization.

"err.mp3", was actually the looping sound that played at the warning screen. It only played once as an mp3 file, but on the website, it looped continuously and was very annoying.

I also found out they use the Zira TTS assistant as their voice on the website using a website called NaturalReaders, a website that can read text aloud with over hundreds of options. I'd recommend you'd check it out here: https://www.naturalreaders.com/online

I also found out they actually spoof legitimate Chrome message boxes. I found "chrome-alert" whilst browsing the source. It had a mild use of bad capitalization, but however, it was hidden in the background, and in the foreground, a prompt to sign in was requested by Chrome.

Behind that, was another message. Terrible grammar and misuse of capitalization.

Also, another way to detect a fake tech support scam is to relate back to other tech support scams.

Some common ones are (but not limited to):

"*** YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED ***",

"ZEUS VIRUS DETECTED - YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN BLOCKED",

"Internet Security Alert!",

"Error #268D3",
    BSOD tech support scams,

tech support scams spoofing well-known websites,

websites with auto-redirects to tech support scams,

fake advertisements on Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.,

images with redirects to tech support scams,

and many more.

Another way to is to watch other YouTube videos to better understand what types of tech support scams to avoid.

Hope this helps with you avoiding tech support scams! Have a good day!

:)

TheOldyMinecart, Dec 14, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Teaming up in the war on tech support scams

Source: Teaming up in the war on tech support scams Microsoft Secure

Brink, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Rob Koch Win User
    Rob Koch, Dec 14, 2019
  4. About Tech-Support Scams and How to Detect Them

Ms tech support is it a scam?

As already mentioned: Yes that's a scam.

All these kind of pop-ups are fake warnings - scams. Never ever call these numbers.

Please read:
    PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise

Use the Task Manager to close your browser:

How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8 or 10

If you use Edge, see all of
    GreginMich
    's replies here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/system-error/dcccc74e-fb98-43a8-8579-956692a40982

Clear your temporary internet files and reboot. Do not restore the browser session.

After the reboot, the pop-up should be gone.

If not, follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

====

Also read/watch:

Beware of Phony Tech Support Scams

Tech Support Scams – Help & Resource Page

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Jsssssssss, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

About Tech-Support Scams and How to Detect Them

1. About Tech-Support Scams and How to Detect Them - Similar Threads - Tech Support Scams

2. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  3. tech support scam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    tech support scam: We are working to clear up a tech support scam. The scammer was connected to us after calling the number listed for MS tech support. Here is the contact infor for the person we talked to who ran us through a scan using UltraView software. After that the person transferrred us...
  4. Tech support scam popup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tech support scam popup: A tech support scam page just popped up as I was online, claiming it is my Windows Defender Security Center. WHAT do I do now? How to get rid of it and keep my computer safe? I have not touched anything on the screen/page since it popped up. And I have few technical computer...
  5. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: I fell for a tech support scam a long time ago and the refund overpayment scam I got my money back for the refund scam and now ever since December 2019, they have been ringing me non-stop. Tried blocking the numbers nut they always ring back on different numbers. Any advice?...
  6. tech support scams

tech support scams: What if someone did give remote access to one of these tech support scams? What can they expect and what do they do about it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/tech-support-scams/6cf84899-3796-4dda-a0d6-d9f1eaad6b41
  7. Tech support scam?

Tech support scam?: Hello everyone. I have received 3 calls this morning from an uknown number. On the first 2 after hearing "hello" i hung up. I live in Greece and thought that it was a mistake. They called a third time in which i talked to them. They told me that they were calling from...
  8. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Hello, I received a call which turns out to be the Www.support.me scam I suspected it was something bogus but played along (making him repeat everything a number o times) until reaching the point where he wanted me to connect to www.support.me. At which point he got...
  9. Fake Tech Support Scam

Fake Tech Support Scam: Hi all, I've seen a lot of talk on here of fake tech support taking control of computers to help you fix "problems" with your computer. I was in a panic when i got this fake notification and didn't know what to do so I called and let the person take control of my computer. I...
  10. Tech Support Scam

Tech Support Scam: Is myphonesupport a scam? Or are they parteners with microsoft? Made no payments to them and did not allow remote connection. Just want to make sure I talked to safe people....