Windows 10: About upgrading from W10 to W11 - Skype and Windows Defender

Discus and support About upgrading from W10 to W11 - Skype and Windows Defender in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I decided to accept the prompt to upgrade my W10 Pro to W11... it took a while over an hour but was a pretty painless experience otherwise. Only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PhilUp, May 23, 2022.

1. PhilUp Win User

About upgrading from W10 to W11 - Skype and Windows Defender

I decided to accept the prompt to upgrade my W10 Pro to W11... it took a while over an hour but was a pretty painless experience otherwise. Only problems I've discovered so far are:1 Skype kept crashing. Fixed by going to Settings > Apps > Apps and Features - scroll down to Skype, then click the 3 vertical dots for the mini-menu and select "Advanced options". On that page opt for a "Reset". Ignore the message about data being lost. Skype is now OK and nothing is lost as far as I can see.2 a bigger issue - and you need to fix this, Microsoft! - is that just by chance I realised tha

:)

PhilUp, May 23, 2022
  2. jsfitz54 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, May 23, 2022
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    What the hell, windows defender?

So, a while back I disabled windows defender via gpedit. Come to find out it's running again, and telling me my miner is a "severe" threat, despite still being disabled in gpedit. There's a few new entries related to windows defender in gpedit that didn't used to be there before. I'm guessing this happened during the big spring update. UAC keeps becoming re-enabled somehow, as well. For now I have a shitty registry key that's supposed to disable windows defender instead, hopefully it works.

Damn, Microsoft. They were pushing users to upgrade to 10 so hard, even resorting to plain trickery to get it on as many machines as possible. Now not only is it doing hardcore data mining in the background, but it's changing settings all on its own to whatever Microsoft wants. One step closer to pushing me to Ubuntu or something. I'd already be there if I didn't think it would be an arduous task learning how to computer all over again while simultaneously breaking a lot of games, which is mostly what I use this computer for...

Bill Gates needs to go back to Microsoft just so he can kick all the guys responsible for w10 squarely in the nuts. /rant

4. KevinBorg Win User

My w10 pc is finally ready & approved for w11 upgrade - thank you

Hey guys,
    Just dropped back in to say thanks again, here's the new screen shot showing my W10 -21H1
    PC is finally W11 Approved and ready to go after downloading and applying Shawn's
    W10 Core Isolation Memory Integrity registry fixes.
    It only took seconds to apply and it worked flawlessly. It also fixed the drivers that were stopping me from getting the Core Isolation to work in the first place.
    Secure Boot and TPM are now all turned on and ready for W11 Upgrade.
    Here are my PC and Windows Settings Pages showing everything all turned On
    and Approved and ready for W11 Upgrade.
    Thank you all so much, yr awesome and you have saved me so much time and frustration
    as I was getting nowhere online until I found the W10 and W11 Forum.

WINDOW 10 UPDATE PAGE IN SETTINGS
    Showing my PC is now Approved and Ready for W11 Upgrade

About upgrading from W10 to W11 - Skype and Windows Defender [​IMG]

WINDOW 10 SECURITY PAGE
    Showing Core Isolation is now turned On and ready for W11 Upgrade

WINDOW 10 DEVICE SECURITY PAGE

Showing all 3 Security Features required by Microsoft ready for W11 Upgrade
    1- Core Isolation Turned On
    2- TPM Trusted Platform Module Turned On
    3- Secure Boot Turned On

I hope I have inserted these pics correctly, and all the best with yr own PCs
    Thanks again
    Cheers Kev

KevinBorg, May 23, 2022
Thema:

1. About upgrading from W10 to W11 - Skype and Windows Defender - Similar Threads - upgrading W10 W11

2. Windows update from W10 to W11 is stuck at 91%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update from W10 to W11 is stuck at 91%: My PC wanted to update to W11 against my wishes. I was able to delay the install several times. I delayed it for 57 days and the system said it could not delay any longer, no updates would download again. Today I decided I would end this all and just update to W11. I have a...
  3. Various BSODs after upgrading from W10 to W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Various BSODs after upgrading from W10 to W11: Hi, I just did a fresh install from Windows 10 to 11 Pro a few weeks ago, and since then my system freezes and I'm having some weird BSODs.I did not had them in Windows 10.My computer is kinda a complete solution, I use for work, CFTV, media server and gaming, and he could...
  4. Various BSODs after upgrading from W10 to W11

Various BSODs after upgrading from W10 to W11: Hi, I just did a fresh install from Windows 10 to 11 Pro a few weeks ago, and since then my system freezes and I'm having some weird BSODs.I did not had them in Windows 10.My computer is kinda a complete solution, I use for work, CFTV, media server and gaming, and he could...
  5. About upgrading from W10 to W11 - Skype and Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About upgrading from W10 to W11 - Skype and Windows Defender: I decided to accept the prompt to upgrade my W10 Pro to W11... it took a while over an hour but was a pretty painless experience otherwise. Only problems I've discovered so far are:1 Skype kept crashing. Fixed by going to Settings > Apps > Apps and Features - scroll down to...
  6. W11 Upgrade from W10 via pure install from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W11 Upgrade from W10 via pure install from USB: Hello!I would like to ask if the associated Windows 10 Pro key will be upgraded on my account alongside with a fresh Windows 11 Install.I have not tried it before, but if it is time to upgrade to 11 Strictly through clean install - No upgrade. I'd like to know if the...
  7. W11 Upgrade from W10 via pure install from USB

W11 Upgrade from W10 via pure install from USB: Hello!I would like to ask if the associated Windows 10 Pro key will be upgraded on my account alongside with a fresh Windows 11 Install.I have not tried it before, but if it is time to upgrade to 11 Strictly through clean install - No upgrade. I'd like to know if the...
  8. Licensing from w10 to w11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licensing from w10 to w11: Hi!I have a question regarding activation,I currently have windows 10 PRO activated with a Retail key, I do have the option to upgrade in my "settings > update&security" which I guess my key will be intact and windows 11 will be activated. My question is > What if I freshly...
  9. Licensing from w10 to w11

Licensing from w10 to w11: Hi!I have a question regarding activation,I currently have windows 10 PRO activated with a Retail key, I do have the option to upgrade in my "settings > update&security" which I guess my key will be intact and windows 11 will be activated. My question is > What if I freshly...
  10. About Skype

About Skype: Hello Forum I have in mind to install Skype on my win 10 pc. Made some search and learned that win 10 contains Skype, found somethind alike in the apps menu like in attached screenshot. When clicked on it - nothing happened. I asked the technician (installed the system) -...