Windows 10: About Win 10 generic product keys

Discus and support About Win 10 generic product keys in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Win 10 Home ..........................TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 Win 10 Pro .............................VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T Those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by davidhk, Feb 11, 2016.

1. davidhk Win User

About Win 10 generic product keys

Win 10 Home ..........................TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
    Win 10 Pro .............................VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Those are the known generic product keys.

I have a pre-install Win 7 Home Premium > upgraded to Win 10 Home
    I ran my speccy and it gave me this "serial number"..........
    T49TD - 6VFBW - VV7HY - B2PXY - MY47H

I have seen this set of numbers mentioned in the net.
    I know it is NOT my Win 7 key.
    So, what is it ?

:)

davidhk, Feb 11, 2016

2. Product Key on the laptop?

Win 10 is an upgrade from a qualifying OS. Linux is not. That product key is a generic key that cannot be activated on a clean install so in short you need to either install a qualifying OS then upgrade, or purchase a win 10 key

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 11, 2016
  3. Product Key on the laptop?

There's a Product Key on the bottom of the laptop, but I bought it on eBay and Linux 17.2 was installed. I inserted a flash drive with media to fresh install Win 10, reformatted the drive, figuring I had the product key so no problem... Problem - the product
    key didn't work - Now I have Windows 10 running, but it keeps asking for 'Activation' and the product key fromthe bottom of the laptop does not satisfy it - (#$&*! machine!)... Tried ProdKey, but it just reports the generic Win 10 key (VK7JG...3V66T)... Am
    I screwed? or is there a fix?

RichardSutter, Feb 11, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

It is most likely a generic key that the OEMs use to activate hundreds of systems. So this key is not unique to your system and therefor useless for activation.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

slmgr /dlv

If you see anything about KMS activation in the detailed license information, you are going to have major issues if you ever need to clean install Windows 10 and hope to activate it with a digital entitlement. You want to see RETAIL channel activation.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. About Win 10 generic product keys - Similar Threads - generic product keys

2. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  3. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  4. About product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About product key: Ican not find my product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-product-key/0518889b-669d-4cef-823e-34580f409841
  5. about product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    about product key: I just install a ssd to my HP laptop and i want to migrate my windows 10 pro to ssd. but my windows is not activated and i forgot my product key. so if i migrate windows to ssd will it asks for any activation key?...
  6. About product key

About product key: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey when I paste this command on command promptrun as administration I didn't getting product key.It showing something like thisName of my laptopError=DescriptionI want to know why I am getting this ?Is my window...
  7. Generic product key?

Generic product key?: I am installing an SSD for a friend on a working PC with an old patter drive that is super slow. I used a product key finder and got VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM- 9MPGT-3V66T product key finder says this is OEM and I need a digital license for activation. This PC is licensed already....
  8. generic product key

generic product key: anyone have generic product key for windows 10 home single language version 2004? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/generic-product-key/43a2179d-fa3b-4314-b60c-34057fefb104
  9. ShowkeyPlus - generic licence product key?

ShowkeyPlus - generic licence product key?: I upgraded from win7 to win10. I now want to move my system/installation to a new SSD drive. However whilst I have created a Windows 10 media installation disk i have been advised that i still need a licence key once Win10 installed on the new SSD. They have suggested...
  10. about product key

about product key: how to know the product key how many time activate before we purches…. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-product-key/cd4016d0-8250-4380-86bb-7b3a4bb631e0"