Windows 10: Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation

Discus and support Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey champs, need your support to fix this annoying issue with my laptop. Abrupt shutdown happens while laptop is in sleep mode due to inactivity. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SameerM84, Aug 31, 2020.

1. SameerM84 Win User

Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation

Hey champs, need your support to fix this annoying issue with my laptop.

Abrupt shutdown happens while laptop is in sleep mode due to inactivity. It even happens at times when I press power button to hibernate. While laptop is being actively used no such issue occurs.

Have tried going through event viewer, though not able to decipher the reason for this behaviour.

I have deleted the power plans and added back via CMD. I suspect something wrong within execution/configuration of power plans. Have tried all power plans but the issue persists.

laptop config: Win 10 Home on AMD A8-7410 with Radeon R5 and 8GB of RAM

Kindly assist. Let me know what further details are required for troubleshooting.

:)

SameerM84, Aug 31, 2020
  2. Louie Del Win User

Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Aug 31, 2020
  3. srini_08 Win User
    Enable hibernate diables the sleep mode

when i enable the hibernate mode recently using powercfg -h on, i noticed when closing the lid of laptop on battery.

it is not entering sleep mode instead it looks like shutdown.

neither not entering hibernate of sleep.

if I use powercfg -h off then sleep mode is working but hibernate even thought menu enabled not shows.

how to solve the issue.

srini_08, Aug 31, 2020
  4. Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation

Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

I'm starting to lose track of what we're disagreeing on. I can't say what was on the mind of whoever designed the technique in the past, but today it is a tool available to any supporting platform where the users need it. Hybrid sleep is functionally a suspension to disk without clearing the ram, at its core it is a hibernation. Arguing which method is for which platform is -with all due respect- a waste of time. I would agree to the argument that Hybrid sleep is more versatile than simple hibernation, though, but that doesn't make hibernation a non valid method of suspension on desktops. And if someone intended for long down-times or expected power loss, the differences between hibernation and hybrid sleep become inexistent.

For the frequent blackouts part, we have to consider the scope of the issue here: whoever opts to use any suspension method, hibernation, sleep or hybrid sleep, does so explicitly to avoid shutting down the computer (for whichever reason they wanted). Anecdotal example: I'm off to work in the morning, but I do not want to close all the software and web pages I have open (and they can be many) and restart them later, so I have the choice of either sleep or hibernate (or hybrid methods), but with any S state less than 4, I run the risk of a blackout forcing me to what I avoided shutting down for, so I elect to use hibernation (or hybrid sleep, of which the hibernation part is what's needed).

A UPS is indeed a must have, but alas, not all of us live in the first world!

VRAM isn't wiped post-wake up, per se. The only way to wipe the entire memory is relieving if of power. Hibernation does have that effect in the suspension process (going into hibernation), upon waking up it repopulates the memory with what was occupying it before turning off (though I don't know if it was actually this simple).
    What was I referring to in my previous post is Windows' memory manager's functionality. When a process is closed (eg: Alt+F4ed the main window, killed in task manager, etc), all its memory heap is then freed up for other processes to use. So, any memory that is used when a computer wakes is for actually running processes, waking up won't reserve memory for anything else (other than hardware, I guess?)

Computers can be weird. I once had a recurring issue with Microsoft's Security Essential where it starts eating up all my ram after waking up from sleep. And I'm talking about 20GB of physical memory! Still don't know what caused that bug though. Couldn't reproduce it in later Windows installations on the same hardware either.
    And don't get me even started on those cheap Chinese hardware!

Shihabyooo, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation

1. Abrupt shutdown during sleep mode and hibernation - Similar Threads - Abrupt shutdown during

2. Shutdown during Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown during Sleep Mode: My pc started to behave erratically when putting into sleep mode and then once opened it was shutdown. I have under no circumstances no idea why is it doing that when putting in sleep, not shut down especially when away for a couple of hours like 5 hours for example. One day...
  3. Shutdown during Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown during Sleep Mode: My pc started to behave erratically when putting into sleep mode and then once opened it was shutdown. I have under no circumstances no idea why is it doing that when putting in sleep, not shut down especially when away for a couple of hours like 5 hours for example. One day...
  4. Shutdown during Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  6. Hibernation or sleep mode?

Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  7. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  8. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  9. Abnormal Shutdown during Hibernate

Abnormal Shutdown during Hibernate: Dear all,I hope you may help me in this situation.I have a fairly recent Dell XPS 9500, i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16,0 GB, 4k touch display.I am on the Dev insider ring, and currently on the last 21634 release.I am pretty satisfied with the system even if I have to admit the...
  10. Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate

Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate: I have new HP Spectre x360 and from begining I am not able to shut it down or sleep or hibernate. It shut down and after 3-4 seconds boots backup again. I have already spent 3 days with solving it and i tried everything what i found on internet. I tried: - intel management...