Windows 10: "AC power wattage and type cannot be determined"

Discus and support "AC power wattage and type cannot be determined" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The error message continues: "The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power." My Alienware M15 laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tollbooth, Oct 9, 2020.

1. tollbooth Win User

"AC power wattage and type cannot be determined"

The error message continues:

"The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power."

My Alienware M15 laptop certainly is doing that. Some of my games are running unacceptably slow or even unplayable.

The charger is plugged in all the way. The battery indicator says "fully charged."

How can I fix this and stop my computer from limiting processor power?

(Windows 10 Home version# 1903)

:)

tollbooth, Oct 9, 2020
  2. gumby215 Win User

I get this alert every time I start up my Dell laptop running windows 10. "Alert The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

<Original title: Alert warning>

I get this alert every time I start up my Dell laptop running windows 10. "Alert The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available. Note: This warning
    can be disabled in BIOS setup."

After that screen everything runs fine and the battery charges normally.

How do I turn this alert off?

Thank You

gumby215, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Determine Wattage Of PSU

Is there any way to determine the wattage of a PC Power Supply without physically checking the label???

Michale32086, Oct 9, 2020
  4. "AC power wattage and type cannot be determined"

Inspiron 15 5000 series, battery is not charging: message says, ac power adapter wattage and type couldn't be determined

my grandmother bought me a Dell Inspiron 15 , 5000 series , #5555 in October for school and I haven't had any problems til this week .. When I go to charge it , it says "plugged in not charging" . It's currently at 0% & the battery is working normally .
    The message says "ac power adapter wattage and type couldn't be determined" and it shows as unknown in BIOS although I'm using the original charger ... I was going through stuff yesterday , I'm not sure what I didn't but the white LED light had begun flashing,
    so I hoped I was close to fixing it, but still nothing... I've seen a lot of people with this same problem, so is there a legit way to fix this ? Ive ran diagnostics everything comes back normal , did a factory reset this morning so it's running under Windows
    10 but has the option to backup/restore to Windows 7 , please please someone help !!!! I don't want to have to get a new laptop or send this one off to be fixed. I also left the battery out for about 3 or 4 hours after resetting .

OP - Inspiron 15 5000 series , 5555

KashariWilson, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

"AC power wattage and type cannot be determined"

1. "AC power wattage and type cannot be determined" - Similar Threads - power wattage type

2. AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined: How do I tell the laptop what the wattage and type are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ac-adapter-wattage-and-type-cannot-be-determined/a6f6083e-0bf2-4369-b8fc-510436fee5c8
  3. AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined: How do I tell the laptop what the wattage and type are? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ac-adapter-wattage-and-type-cannot-be-determined/a6f6083e-0bf2-4369-b8fc-510436fee5c8
  4. AC adapter wattage and type cannot be determined

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Laptop AC Power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop AC Power: Should I always use AC power on laptop when it is available or drain battery , discharge it for sometime ?There are these in my laptop manual.- Use AC power whenever possible, reserving battery for mobile use.- Excessive recharging decreases the battery life....
  6. Laptop AC Power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop AC Power: Should I always use AC power on laptop when it is available or drain battery , discharge it for sometime ?There are these in my laptop manual.- Use AC power whenever possible, reserving battery for mobile use.- Excessive recharging decreases the battery life....
  7. Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage

in Windows 10 News
    Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage: [ATTACH]When it comes to PC building, one of the most important components is the […] This article Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Determine Wattage Of PSU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Determine Wattage Of PSU: Is there any way to determine the wattage of a PC Power Supply without physically checking the label??? 154170
  9. Determine Wattage Of PSU

in Windows 10 Support
    Determine Wattage Of PSU: Is there any way to determine the wattage of a PC Power Supply without physically checking the label??? 154170
  10. Wattage

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Wattage: I want to buy a R9-290X for around $200 but 300 watts is a bit much. So can I get a good video card without it putting out so much wattage?