Windows 10: Access Control Entry is Corrupt

Discus and support Access Control Entry is Corrupt in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; "This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one." This is the error that I received after trying to open a WindowsApps folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jammyjo, Nov 30, 2019.

1. jammyjo Win User

Access Control Entry is Corrupt

"This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one."

This is the error that I received after trying to open a WindowsApps folder in the D: drive in a recently-new computer (that previously only had personal files like pictures) that was freshly written there from a PC reset to completely restore Windows instead of being on the C: drive. This weird error message appeared in the Permission Entry window (only for Users, but all of the other choices were greyed out and unresponsive) after following the prompts to try to allow access to this folder:

Access Control Entry is Corrupt b2f90424-a374-478c-9b4b-6e85f33a9b56?upload=true.jpg

Many solutions were given back in the thread from Hsienz (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/access-control-entry-is-corrupt/4e3d5500-5c7d-4839-be4f-c269705561ca?auth=1) on 8 October 2016 but none of them worked for me, or at least I may not have fully understood how to implement them.

This isn't so much a question as describing as to how I was able to access a folder that it said that I couldn't open, couldn't delete and couldn't rename (and with security badges everywhere) because I didn't have the authority despite being the administrator (no processes seeming to be running in the background associated with it).

Under Properties of the folder (WindowsApps), clicking the Security tab and clicking 'Advanced', there are three tabs. In this state of not being able to open the folder, each of the types (such as Administrator or User) is greyed out and not seeming to be able to be changed at all but only viewed to see that some boxes are ticked to show that you should be allowed to access the folder!

After trying all of the other methods, I went to the second tab, 'Auditing', pressed 'Continue' when it said that I must be an administrator, selected 'Add' above an empty box, another window came up that had one available option at the top (in blue) to 'Select a principal', clicked that, pressed 'Advanced' on the next window, pressed 'Find Now' on the next window (phew!) and selected Administrators in the presented list and, when I went back to the Permissions tab, I was able to change the Administrators check boxes to be allowed to have Full Control as well as all of the other types on the list now being editable. I went back to the file and, on the second attempt, it opened (to reveal that it was empty).

Hope it wasn't too long-winded and hope it helps someone else (Windows for Dummies style).

:)

jammyjo, Nov 30, 2019

2. Access Control Entry is Corrupt

I have the same problem. I bet most people do, if they happen to look. Microsoft is not answering this question, and, yes, I have tried all of their runaround suggestions. The question is simple: how do I delete and create a new access control entry after
    it becomes corrupt?

JohnHester, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Access Control Entry is Corrupt

Jamille,

I have the exact same problem. Trying to peruse the folder for Candy Crush Soda in the WindowsApps folder I get the message that I need permission, etc. Then, when trying to modify permissions for this folder (so I can read the contents) I get the error
    message "This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one." So, at your suggestion, I ran SFC /scannow and got the message: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I conclude that there is nothing wrong with
    my system except that I cant repair the app named "Candy Crush Soda".

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

MachineGuy, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Access Control Entry is Corrupt

I have the same issue. When I attempt to open WINDOWSAPPS, I receive the message "This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one.".

Could you elaborate on how to "Delete it and create a new one."?

Larry Peacock, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Access Control Entry is Corrupt - Similar Threads - Access Control Entry

2. Cannot access WindowsApps due to 'access control entry' being 'corrupt'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access WindowsApps due to 'access control entry' being 'corrupt': Hi there.I am trying to add a game I purchased off the Microsoft Store to Steam, following all the necessary steps to be able to access WindowsApps but it will not allow me because my access control entry is corrupt. I don't know how to fix it.Please help me. I am...
  3. Cannot access WindowsApps due to 'access control entry' being 'corrupt'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access WindowsApps due to 'access control entry' being 'corrupt': Hi there.I am trying to add a game I purchased off the Microsoft Store to Steam, following all the necessary steps to be able to access WindowsApps but it will not allow me because my access control entry is corrupt. I don't know how to fix it.Please help me. I am...
  4. access control entry is corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    access control entry is corrupt: this access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create new one. while accessing windows app folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-control-entry-is-corrupt/a2e457dd-b3f8-4035-aafa-effcd38fc577
  5. access control entry is corrupt

access control entry is corrupt: this access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create new one. while accessing windows app folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-control-entry-is-corrupt/a2e457dd-b3f8-4035-aafa-effcd38fc577
  6. access control entry is corrupt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Fix for corrupted program entry in Control Panel / Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for corrupted program entry in Control Panel / Settings: Hey guys, Joe13 B- 2.0 here!Yes you read it, I finally found the registry path to delete a corrupted entry in the programs list.In my case, this started a long time ago when I successfully infected my device with trojans and had to do a reinstall. LOL.But somehow I got my...
  8. Fix for corrupted program entry in Control Panel / Settings

Fix for corrupted program entry in Control Panel / Settings: Hey guys, Joe13 B- 2.0 here!Yes you read it, I finally found the registry path to delete a corrupted entry in the programs list.In my case, this started a long time ago when I successfully infected my device with trojans and had to do a reinstall. LOL.But somehow I got my...
  9. Fix This Access Control Entry is corrupt error in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix This Access Control Entry is corrupt error in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Some Windows users are reporting the following error when they try to change the Owner in Advanced Security Settings. This Access Control Entry is Corrupt. Delete it and create a new one. In this article, we are going to fix this error in Windows 10 with the help of...
  10. "This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else: I receive the error message in the image below when I try to list the content of the WindowsApps folder. I know how to change the owner of the folder and correct the problem, but I don't want to start mucking around without knowing what I'm doing. Is this "problem" there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. this access control entry is corrupt