Windows 10: Access database error "Unable to open connection to database" in Windows 10 only

Discus and support Access database error "Unable to open connection to database" in Windows 10 only in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Visual Studio application that was custom written many years ago for me. It uses the Microsoft Access database (.mdb). In all previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by StevenJessup, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Access database error "Unable to open connection to database" in Windows 10 only

I have a Visual Studio application that was custom written many years ago for me. It uses the Microsoft Access database (.mdb). In all previous version of Windows (XP to 7) it functions perfectly, In Windows 10 I get an error message "Unable to open connection to database".

Any thoughts on how I can fix this short of rewriting the application?

Steve Jessup

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

:)

StevenJessup, Apr 16, 2019
  2. DRDNA Win User

Recover access database

Looks like you will need to rebuild the whole thing but at least you have the data still, right?
    EDIT: Wait did you try this?

Convert a database to the Access 2007 file format

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/a...-the-access-2007-file-format-HA010048406.aspx

You cannot convert a replicated database to the Office Access 2007 file format. However, you can use Access 2007 to create a replica of a database that is formatted in either the Access 2000 or the Access 2002 - 2003 file format.

More copy and paste:
    [paste:font size="5"]Convert an Access 97 database, Convert an Access 95 database, or Convert an Access 2.0 database.
    • Click the Microsoft Office Button
      Access database error "Unable to open connection to database" in Windows 10 only [​IMG]
      , point to Save As, and then, under Save the database in another format, click the file format to which you want to convert.
    • If any database objects are open when you use the Save Database As command, Access prompts you to close them prior to creating the copy. Click Yes to make Access close the objects, or click No to cancel the entire process. If needed, Access will also prompt you to save any changes.
    • In the Save As dialog box, type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.
    Access creates the copy of the database, and then opens the copy. Access automatically closes the original database.

Here is a short and sweet version: http://www.ehow.com/how_7339817_convert-2003-database-access-2007.html

DRDNA, Apr 16, 2019
  3. DRDNA Win User
    Recover access database

Did you try this yet? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283849

Run the Compact and Repair utility. To do so, follow these steps:
    • If the database is open, close it.
    • On the Tools menu, point to Database Utilities, and then click Compact and Repair Database.
    • In the Database to Compact From dialog box, select the file that you want to compact, and then click Compact.
    • In the Compact Database Into dialog box, enter a new file name, and then click Save.

If the compact and repair does not succeed, you will receive a message stating so. This means the damage is so severe that it cannot be corrected.

DRDNA, Apr 16, 2019
  4. Access database error "Unable to open connection to database" in Windows 10 only

Recover access database

HI,

As Alexfranky suggested, These are some most common reasons due to which an access database file gets corrupted. Whenever you face corruption in your database files, you need to recover the your data and information from them. For more information visit :- Fix Corrupt Access Database using Compact and Repair

Alex Franky, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

Access database error "Unable to open connection to database" in Windows 10 only

1. Access database error "Unable to open connection to database" in Windows 10 only - Similar Threads - Access database error

2. Error 2203. Database C:\WINDOWS\Installer\inprogressinstallinfo.ipi. Cannot open database...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 2203. Database C:\WINDOWS\Installer\inprogressinstallinfo.ipi. Cannot open database...: I've just installed windows and now afetr 5 days this error suddenly happen, i cannot install anything! Please help!Error 2203. Database: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\inprogressinstallinfo.ipi. Cannot open database file. System error -2147287037.Already tried thisMethod 1: Follow the...
  3. Error 2203. Database C:\WINDOWS\Installer\inprogressinstallinfo.ipi. Cannot open database...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 2203. Database C:\WINDOWS\Installer\inprogressinstallinfo.ipi. Cannot open database...: I've just installed windows and now afetr 5 days this error suddenly happen, i cannot install anything! Please help!Error 2203. Database: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\inprogressinstallinfo.ipi. Cannot open database file. System error -2147287037.Already tried thisMethod 1: Follow the...
  4. Access database error

Access database error: I have an Access database, that I am running in Access from a O365 subscription. No one else accesses my database. I have a transaction function that executes an update statement when the main form loads. After that, I cannot do anything because I get a "You do not have...
  5. Unable to connect to database.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to connect to database.: Window for backup file location not showing in SQL Server Management Studio. Even when I type in file location it does not access the .bak file. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-connect-to-database/e93ad03c-ee6d-498f-9b2c-116e875093ab
  6. Database Connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Database Connection: I am doing some web development and I need to connect my local MS Access database to a remote MySQL database using ODBC driver. Currently that is impossible due to the firewall blocking the local. Please help and tell me how I am going to allow that specific machine through...
  7. database error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    database error: potential database error detected do troubleshoot does not fix problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/database-error/a5ea2e20-50f2-4dcc-917c-be2eeae658d4
  8. database error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    database error: Error Number: 42000/105 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/database-error/effb10bb-c088-4809-a681-9b841d24d4eb
  9. Access Database Problem

Access Database Problem: I am developing an Access database for a local charity which teaches people to use the internet. One field is a tick box flagging that the user is a Member. There are other categories of user (User, Tenant, One to One) and the charity later required a separate field listing...
  10. Running Access databases

in Windows 10 Support
    Running Access databases: Hey guys, I hope I'm in the right section but, here's my problem. I bought this tablet with 10 already installed. I then installed Office 2007. OK no problem so far (my spreadsheets run fine). But then I transferred over a couple of my Access 2007 databases. Each seemed to...