Windows 10: Access denied error when making changes to file on windows

Discus and support Access denied error when making changes to file on windows in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a customer that is getting an access denied error when making changes to files on his laptop. It doesn't happen on every file though and appears... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Zac French, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Access denied error when making changes to file on windows

I have a customer that is getting an access denied error when making changes to files on his laptop. It doesn't happen on every file though and appears to be random.

It affects:

Creating new files

Editing / saving existing files

compressing and extracting zipped files both with the built in tool and also with 7-zip

These are files saved on his local machine and that he has either created or has full access to

I have run an SFC scan to see if there are any issues but it has come back clean. I have also checked to make sure that his local user account has all of the correct access and it does.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated!

:)

Zac French, Jan 20, 2021

2. Getting Access Denied Error When Trying To Rename A File.

Hi Denise,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below-listed questions and get back to us.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Were there any changes made to the computer prior to this issue?
    3. Do you get this error when modifying all the files and folders or a particular file or folder?

Meanwhile, try the below methods and see if this helps.

Method 1: Take The Ownership Of The File/Folder.

I suggest you to follow the section Issue 1: I receive an "Access Denied" error message when I try to access or work with files and folders from

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    restart the computer once after following the steps, and check for the issue.

Method 2: Turn Off User Account Control.

Note: User Account Control (UAC) is feature that helps prevent malicious programs, also known as 'malware', from damaging a system. UAC stops the automatic installation of unauthorized applications. UAC also prevents unintended changes to
    system settings. If you have to disable this feature or option for any troubleshooting reason, then please enable it as soon as the troubleshooting is done. A security risk may result by using administrative credentials to run an unknown program. Only run
    programs that you trust as an administrator.

Step 1: Press the Windows key and the
    R
    key from your keyboard and type Control and hit
    Enter

Step 2: Select Small icons from the View by category and click on
    User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings.

Step 3: Then, change it to Never notify by sliding down the slider,
    restart the computer once after making the above changes, and check for the issue.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

If my answer has helped, then please upvote or mark as an answer.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 20, 2021
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Windows will not install programs I download. Error 5: Access denied

Hi Andre,

Please reply to the questions mentioned below in order to assist you in a better way.

• Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you logged in as the administrator?
    An "Access Denied" error message can occur for one or more of the following reasons:
    • The folder ownership has changed.
    • You do not have the appropriate permissions.
    • The file is encrypted.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670

Note: This also applies to Windows 10

Please revert if you still face issues with access denied error.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jan 20, 2021
  4. Access denied error when making changes to file on windows

Radney Dri, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

Access denied error when making changes to file on windows

1. Access denied error when making changes to file on windows - Similar Threads - Access denied error

2. Access denied when trying to chang priority.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied when trying to chang priority.: When I try to change priority of my game Fifa 23 I get the text "Access denied" And i don't know why I've tried multiple tutorials on youtube and google but neither one has worked. Anyone know why i dont have acces? The game, and my account is both administartors....
  3. Access denied when trying to chang priority.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied when trying to chang priority.: When I try to change priority of my game Fifa 23 I get the text "Access denied" And i don't know why I've tried multiple tutorials on youtube and google but neither one has worked. Anyone know why i dont have acces? The game, and my account is both administartors....
  4. ACCESS DENIED WHEN CHANGE WINDOWS UPDATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ACCESS DENIED WHEN CHANGE WINDOWS UPDATE: I just updated my windows to windows 11I want to download a new app from my window store, but it doesn't installed. It said windows update is disabled, code: 0x80070422, so I searched and I found that this problem gonna be fine if I enable window update services.But while I...
  5. ACCESS DENIED WHEN CHANGE WINDOWS UPDATE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ACCESS DENIED WHEN CHANGE WINDOWS UPDATE: I just updated my windows to windows 11I want to download a new app from my window store, but it doesn't installed. It said windows update is disabled, code: 0x80070422, so I searched and I found that this problem gonna be fine if I enable window update services.But while I...
  6. When trying to change permissions for DCOM error in regedit access denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When trying to change permissions for DCOM error in regedit access denied: This what I get when I try to do the solutions found hereRegedit Permissions -"Access Denied" or "Error while deleting key" EVEN AS ADMIN! microsoft.comThese do not work, no matter how regedit is started, command prompt, admin privilege's, pSExec etc.Still get access denied....
  7. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Access Denied: I am trying to add a comment to a URL shortcut on my desktop. So, I right click the file, choose Properties, then Details. I fill in the Description field. I hit Apply and get: File Access Denied - You'll need to provide administrator permission to apply properties to this...
  8. Getting Access Denied Error When Trying To Rename A File.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting Access Denied Error When Trying To Rename A File.: How can I get Windows 10 to stop asking me for Administrator approval? I sign into Windows as the Administrator and it recognizes me as the Administrator but whenever I want to rename, copy or move a file, it asks me for Administrator approval. I'm the sole user of this...
  9. Access is Denied, need permission from <myself> to make changes.

in Windows 10 Support
    Access is Denied, need permission from <myself> to make changes.: Hey there. I have been fighting this issue for four hours and so far it has ruined my morning. I am needing to work on some coding that's due and I'm now four hours behind, because, well, frankly... I can't open it. I turned on my computer this morning, which is a laptop I...
  10. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Support
    File Access Denied: I get the following message when I try to 'save, 'save as' or 'paste': File Access Denied You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file. I have no idea was to what causes this nor have I made any security changes. Any ideas? 29590