Windows 10: Access denied for sfc /scannow and chkdsk and chkntfs as administrator.

Discus and support Access denied for sfc /scannow and chkdsk and chkntfs as administrator. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full tower Black/Red LED and lights CPU: AMD FX-8320E Black Edition PileDriver 3.2 GHz Eight-Core System Memory: 24... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JoeGibson, Feb 24, 2020.

1. JoeGibson Win User

Access denied for sfc /scannow and chkdsk and chkntfs as administrator.

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full tower Black/Red LED and lights
    CPU: AMD FX-8320E Black Edition PileDriver 3.2 GHz Eight-Core
    System Memory: 24 GB DDR3
    Motherboard: ASRock 970A-G/3.1
    Power supply: EVGA 500 Watt 80+ ATX PSU Non-modular

BIOS: three years old, no update available, no response from ASRock on Social media or by email

Hard drive 1: OS drive 1TB Western Digital Drive

Hard drive 2: D: 1TB drive

Hard drive 3: F: Drive 2TB

External Drive 1: Western Digital MyBook 8 TB USB drive

Graphics:
    Radeon Software Version - 20.2.1
    Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin
    Graphics Chipset – Radeon TM RX 460 Graphics
    Memory Size - 4096 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Core Clock - 1236 MHz

Yes this version of Windows is licensed and linked to my account with Microsoft. I'm glad this is the final version of Windows as I don't like it but forced to use it as some of my games require windows 10 to play properly.

I own this custom built computer, I'm the Admin for it

And for the past THREE MONTHS... every time I right click on the CMD shortcut on my taskbar, hit admin version, click on the YES to the pop up and when it comes up I put in

As you can see from the screenshot I posted, I get access is denied. I don't know what's causing it. But I'm giving you five days to figure this out or I'm gonna dump this version of Windows for Linux and get rid of the games that force me to use Windows 10 or as I call it; Windows Charlie Foxtrot.

Access denied for sfc /scannow and chkdsk and chkntfs as administrator. 3f06c0ad-2f01-43db-bfce-cb7ff4ae33a5?upload=true.png

:)

JoeGibson, Feb 24, 2020

2. SFC scannow not working but verify only is working

there is no problem in chkdsk I've checked When I select command prompt and sfc scannow from f8 and repair.. it shows that a reboot is required for pending repair and pending renames folder in winsxs is full of files.. what should I do??

ELiTRiGG3R, Feb 24, 2020
  3. sfc /scannow won't complete

Hi,

As per the information, I suggest that you run SFC in Safe Mode with admin privileges and check if the same issue occurs.

If the issue persist, you can check for the following:

1. Scan the Hard Drive for Errors

The first thing to do is to tell Windows you want to perform a file system check on the hard drive to ensure there are no errors. If there are errors on the drive, 'sfc /scannow' may fail.

To scan the drive for errors, do the following:

• Open an administrative command prompt. In Windows XP, click Start -> Run, and type in "cmd.exe" and press Enter. Click Start and type in "cmd" (no quotes). Wait for Command Prompt or CMD.EXE to appear in the list of options and right click it, then select
      "Run as Administrator".
    • A black command prompt window will appear on the screen. Highlight the following text with your mouse: "chkdsk /x /f /r" (do not include the quotes), then right click over the highlighted text and select Copy. Next, go to the command prompt and right click
      in the middle of the window and select Paste from the dialogue menu. The command you copied should have output to the command prompt. If it did not, repeat this step until it does. After the command is output, press Enter on your keyboard to execute it. When
      prompted, press "Y" to have chkdsk scan your hard drive for errors on the next reboot.

2. Enable the Hidden Administrator Account

Next we'll enable the hidden administrator account so that you can perform the 'sfc /scannow' command in a clean environment.

To do so:

• Highlight the following text with your mouse: "net user administrator /active:yes" (do not include the quotes), then right click over the highlighted text and select Copy. Next, go to the command prompt and right click in the middle of the window and select
      Paste from the dialogue menu. The command you copied should have output to the command prompt. If it did not, repeat this step until it does. After the command is output, press Enter on your keyboard to execute it.
    • Please note that you will most likely want to disable the administrator account after you have finished making changes listed in this document, otherwise anyone will be able to login to your computer as the administrator user without using a password and
      make changes to the system without any authorization. You can disable the administrator account using the exact steps you just took above, except you would replace "net user administrator /active:yes" with "net user administrator /active:no".

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 24, 2020
  4. zbook Win User

Chkdsk and sfc /scannow

Black screens are frequently caused by problems related to GPU drivers.
    The sfc /scannow checks the operating system protected files and compares them to the files in the component store.
    If problems are found they can be replaced by files in the component store.
    To fix problems in the component store you can run the dism commands, scanhealth, restorehealth.
    Sometimes there is corruption that cannot be fixed by either scannow or restorehealth and this can often be fixed by an in place upgrade repair.
    The chkdsk checks the drive file system.
    There are different switches that can be used and some of the switches vary in the depth of the cleaning.
    For example chkdsk /I or chkdsk /c are less vigorous compared to chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r

scannow------------------> operating system protected files
    restorehealth-----------> image or component store
    chkdsk--------------------> drive file system

Microsoft links for scannow, restorehealth, and chkdsk
    chkdsk | Microsoft Docs
    sfc | Microsoft Docs
    Repair a Windows Image | Microsoft Docs
    DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

Microsoft link for black screen troubleshooting:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-screen-errors

zbook, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Access denied for sfc /scannow and chkdsk and chkntfs as administrator. - Similar Threads - Access denied sfc

2. Administrator Denied Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator Denied Access: I am the administrator on Windows 11 Pro and can not view all folder in file explorer. When trying to view the folders in “C:\Users\All Users”, I am denied access.This a home computer and I am the only user/account. How do I gain access to my own computer?...
  3. Administrator Denied Access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Administrator Denied Access: I am the administrator on Windows 11 Pro and can not view all folder in file explorer. When trying to view the folders in “C:\Users\All Users”, I am denied access.This a home computer and I am the only user/account. How do I gain access to my own computer?...
  4. SFC/scannow ERROR "You must be an Administrator."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC/scannow ERROR "You must be an Administrator.": When I try to run SFC/scannow on Command Prompt running as Administrator, I get a message saying I "must be an Administrator running a console session in order to use the SFC utility." I AM RUNNING IT AS AN ADMINISTRATOR. In fact, I chose "Command prompt; run as...
  5. SFC/scannow ERROR "You must be an Administrator."

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SFC/scannow ERROR "You must be an Administrator.": When I try to run SFC/scannow on Command Prompt running as Administrator, I get a message saying I "must be an Administrator running a console session in order to use the SFC utility." I AM RUNNING IT AS AN ADMINISTRATOR. In fact, I chose "Command prompt; run as...
  6. Administrator access denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Administrator access denied: Hi guys accidently on my window 11Education version a I deleted administrator account and now I'm facing problem because unable to install any software because my laptop ask for administrator privilege to install any thing...
  7. sfc /scannow

sfc /scannow: i ran sfc /scannow and got when it reched around 54% i got the followingmessage "Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/425af61f-5e61-4f8e-badc-1e44ae02698e
  8. sfc /scannow

sfc /scannow: when I run sfc /scannow in command prompt it will only run to 71% and than it stop, how can i fix that problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/5f81a97e-769a-413c-8139-2871d8c08b5f
  9. Chkdsk and sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk and sfc /scannow: For the most part I use 'chkdsk' in Windows 10 and 7 thinking that this helps prevent problems with my HDD and the Windows file system. Recently after a black screen and Windows error message on another Windows 10 computer I tried 'sfc /scannow' but it looks like 'sfc...
  10. running chkdsk or chkntfs in windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    running chkdsk or chkntfs in windows 10: Greetings Scanning the hard disk drivers can be done from windows, but I'm curious about bizarre responses to trying to check disk from cmd windows (just for info, not fix). chkdsk yields: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this...