Windows 10: Access denied in Windows 10 when updated a driver for a USB storage device

Discus and support Access denied in Windows 10 when updated a driver for a USB storage device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Please help as my computer will no longer show any of my flash drives or external hard drives in File Manager or Disk Management. They do show in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Frustrated in Kenya, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Access denied in Windows 10 when updated a driver for a USB storage device

Please help as my computer will no longer show any of my flash drives or external hard drives in File Manager or Disk Management. They do show in Device Manager with the caution sign on them. I have tried many different solutions but none have helped. This problem started last year and I was able to roll back one update and regained a few devices but now none of them are working. It is not my antivirus or my firewall. I am the only administrator. The device says it is working properly in device manager and works in other computers just fine.

:)

Frustrated in Kenya, Nov 11, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7...

This is an Microsoft Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 update that may improve performance of USB transfers. Now they do say, "for some":
    How? Well per Microsoft:
    Now, you do need to read the Hotfix article, here > An update to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Now, after you apply this hotfix, you will need to do some registry editing.
    So, back up your registry before proceeding. And, also, you do this at your own risk; as always... anything can go wrong at anytime, even in the most perfect circumstances.

This registry edit is, also, covered in the hotfix:

After you install this update, to increase the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices, follow these steps:
    ‪1.‬Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    ‪2.‬Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    ‪3.‬HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\VVVV PPPP
    ‪4.‬Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue.
    ‪5.‬Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
    ‪6.‬Click Edit, and then click Modify.
    ‪7.‬In the Value data box, type a value to specify the maximum transfer size between 64KB and 2MB. For example, you select Decimal and type a value between 65535 (64K) and 2097120 (2M).
    ‪8.‬Exit Registry Editor.

Notes
    VVVV represents device descriptor idVendor in hexadecimal.
    PPPP represents device descriptor idProduct in hexadecimal.

To get this update, you will need to click the "View and Request Hotfix Downloads" at the top portion of the page. Follow the instructions, like, fill out the info and check the files you want to download. They will send an email to with the links.

Happy updating and may it improve your USB storage device's performance. *Smile Access denied in Windows 10 when updated a driver for a USB storage device :)

95Viper, Nov 11, 2020
  3. Access Denied on all removable storages

Somewhere in the last 2-3 weeks I lost access to all removable storages. Accessing the SD Card in my laptop results in "Access denied", accessing a usb-stick on my usb-port results in "Access denied". Putting a Usb-Stick into my docking station (which is
    plugged in via usb into my laptop) results in "Access denied".

All other devices (keyboard, mouse, docking-station) work, but I can't access
    any
    removeable storage. No matter on which usb (2.0, 3.0) port they are plugged into.

I checked the registry keys, I checked the policies - all good.

When I try to take ownership I always get the error "Failed to enumerate the objects in the container. Access denied". There is no way to change the permission.

Icacls does not work: Access denied.

Grant does not work: Access denied.

I made a full virus scan, no results.

It also doesn't matter how many drives there are, none is accessible.

The disk-management shows me the disks, it even shows me free/used space, so there is no hardware problem to read the data. It must be some thing in my windows 8.1 which disabled all access.

Driver Version of the removable disks is always: 6.3.9600.18758 from 21.06.2006, which seems to be the latest one, since updating the driver doesn't change anything

I also tried to refresh the OS using an .iso Image. Its possible to mount the drive so that I can browse through the Image, but running setup.exe also results in "Access denied" ...

Any further suggestions?

Tobias Krasinger AT outlook.com, Nov 11, 2020
  4. Access denied in Windows 10 when updated a driver for a USB storage device

usb mass storage device issues - cannot open and access denied when drivers are reinstalled Access denied in Windows 10 when updated a driver for a USB storage device :(

When I plug in mass storage devices into my computer that is running windows 10 - they are recognized in device manager but I cannot find them in the this PC menu. I tried reinstalling drivers, and now I am getting access denied error messages. So i have
    2 questions:

Why am I not able to open mass storage devices on my computer?

Why am I getting an access denied message when reinstalling the drivers?

I read previous forums on this issue and it seems that other people with the same problem did not find a solution. Microsoft, please find a solution to these problems so I can properly use my computer.

SarahAntanaitis, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Access denied in Windows 10 when updated a driver for a USB storage device

1. Access denied in Windows 10 when updated a driver for a USB storage device - Similar Threads - Access denied updated

2. Access Denied To External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access Denied To External Storage Device: I use Shadow PC shadow.tech and they have port forwarding which I have working. My device shows up in the file explorer as my D drive, but when I go to open it, I get a dialogue with the header, "Location is not available," and next to a big red X, it reads, "D:\ is not...
  3. Access Denied To External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access Denied To External Storage Device: I use Shadow PC shadow.tech and they have port forwarding which I have working. My device shows up in the file explorer as my D drive, but when I go to open it, I get a dialogue with the header, "Location is not available," and next to a big red X, it reads, "D:\ is not...
  4. Access Denied To External Storage Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update driver access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update driver access denied: Good morningI just updated to Windows 11 pro and since then I cannot update drivers. I get the following response. My only account on the computer is an administrator account. I have Panda Dome AV and the AV and firewall are turned off. USBSTOR permissions are set to all and...
  6. Update driver access denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update driver access denied: Good morningI just updated to Windows 11 pro and since then I cannot update drivers. I get the following response. My only account on the computer is an administrator account. I have Panda Dome AV and the AV and firewall are turned off. USBSTOR permissions are set to all and...
  7. Access denied when accessing to USB drive

Access denied when accessing to USB drive: Hello Support, I have been trying to access a USB drive on Windows 10, but have been greeted with the 'Access Denied' message. Best regards, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied-when-accessing-to-usb-drive/6868d2d8-e022-4279-8182-214be97a481b
  8. USB device access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB device access denied: Hi After I cloned my OS to SSD, I am not able to access any USB drives in any of the USB slots. I am getting an error access is denied. When I run chkdsk in CMD admin mode , I get the following error: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk...
  9. usb access denied

usb access denied: i am using Rufus and I'm trying to flash to my flashdrive but windows keep telling me "error access to this device is denied". Sooo frugrated! Nicole https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-access-denied/059e66b2-7732-4556-8536-ca2daf1e9928
  10. USB Removable storage device access denied Effected by Edit Group Policy

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB Removable storage device access denied Effected by Edit Group Policy: Hi My usb drive accessible through administrator account, But not accessible through user account. One more thing i need to share, for testing i applied group edit police for disabling removable storage devices. It worked. Again i changed options for providing access to...