Windows 10: Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations

Discus and support Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I changed the location the of my Pictures folder from the default C:\users\myname\Pictures to D:\onedrive\pictures, Worked great until I decided to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DeputyDog65, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations

I changed the location the of my Pictures folder from the default C:\users\myname\Pictures to D:\onedrive\pictures, Worked great until I decided to use new Google Photo on Google Drive. Using File Explorer, I moved all photos from D:\one drive\pictures to E:\Google Drive\Google Photos. Then went to library/Pictures/properties/location/move and selected my new folder E:\Google Drive\Google Photos, hit apply, responded no to 'do you want to move all the files' and got pop up 'Folder cant be moved here - Access Denied.

I've tried restore to original, created other test folders on drive D and E - it wont save to any other location or restore to default location - get the Access denied.

:)

DeputyDog65, Jun 7, 2015
  2. Lindzc3 Win User

Cannot change default storage options in Windows 10.

Sadly I think we are just out of luck, until Microsoft gets enough bad responses and pushes an update. Found this same topic on another forum...

Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations - Windows 10 Forums

And found this image...

Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations [​IMG]

I don't remember seeing this and clicking yes, but must have. Microsoft really needs to send out an update to fix this. Having settings like this that cannot be changed is completely unacceptable.

Lindzc3, Jun 7, 2015
  3. Cannot change default save location to local drive.

The Pictures folder's location is already set to the default.

On the Documents folder, when I try to "Restore Default" location, it first asks me if I would like to move the contents. Regardless of what option I choose at this message box I'm greeted with "Access Denied."

Windows 10 Pro, the user is an Administrator.

Thanks for the reply!

John Marklund, Jun 7, 2015
  4. Stevo Win User

Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations

Sorry, I'm not at my Win 10 installation atm, but can you right-click the default Pictures folder and select properties? If you can, try adding a new folder(Include a Folder) from that menu and it will make links to the folder, rather than physically moving the folder(s). I had similar permissions issues trying to move my music folder in Win 7 and this was how I got around it.

Stevo, Jun 7, 2015
  5. Steveo - nope. Added new folder, asked if I wanted to create, said yes, tried to apply - access denied.

DeputyDog65, Jun 7, 2015
  6. Stevo Win User
    Are you logged on with an administrator account?

I'll try to recreate this error on my Win 10 shortly.

Stevo, Jun 7, 2015
  7. The frequency of getting "Access Denied" can be minimized if you....
    1. Reduce the slider on UAC settings to its lowest setting. (almost like turning it OFF)
    2. Install "Grant Admin Full Control" so you can take ownership of any file or folder on the PC.

Doing those two things can take much of the sting out of working with files and folders on Windows (all versions)

Cheers mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Jun 7, 2015
  8. Stevo Win User

OK, it seems Win 10 has changed the functionality. When you click the properties of the Picture folder, there is a location tab, you can select to move the directory anywhere from there. You can even select OneDrive in the new menu. I was able to move my Picture folder to my data drive, and back to default with no issues. Moving it to OneDrive seems like more of a permanent feature, so I opted not to test that.

I'm not sure why you are getting the error. Perhaps you could revert to an earlier restore point, and try again?

Stevo, Jun 7, 2015
  9. Yes, It seems to have something to do with OneDrive - ounce you point it there, I don't think there is any going back, Matter of fact, I recall a popup that loosely 'may' have stated - do you want to do this? I can't be undone'. I'll keep looking for the solution and try TechnoMage suggestions.

DeputyDog65, Jun 7, 2015
  10. Stevo Win User
    Here's a picture of that popup, but there's not any restore info there...
    ~

Stevo, Jun 7, 2015
  11. From your screen shot - "ff you proceed... will not be able to ....restore default location." That's the message I saw - that's my problem - want to go back to default and then assign to Google Drive / Photos. Other thoughts?

DeputyDog65, Jun 7, 2015
  12. Sorry for replying on an old post. I was passing by, and I have a solution for this.
    Basically the reason why you couldn't change the directory is because your Pictures folder is now merged with another system folder, the OneDrive Pictures folder. There's no way to separate them.
    But what you can do is to make the folder no longer an OneDrive folder. What I mean is you can unlink your PC from your OneDrive using OneDrive settings on the taskbar, then logging in to your OneDrive account, and pointing your OneDrive folder to another place. You don't need to sync anything really, just complete the login process, and your Pictures folder will no longer be a part of the OneDrive Pictures folder, which you can then move freely.
    Hope it helps.

BattlePizza, Jul 18, 2015
  13. jpxsat Win User

This solved my problem, unlinking onedrive tells the system that your picture folder is not the onedrive/picture folder anymore, so you can move it again.

SOLVED!! THANKS!! *cake

jpxsat, Aug 27, 2015
  14. LifeWulf Win User
    So, I hope this thread isn't too old for me to post here, but I'm trying to do the opposite almost. I originally moved my Pictures folder to my D:\ drive, just to get it off of my SSD. But now that I also have a laptop, I want to keep all my wallpapers in sync, so I'm trying to move my Pictures folder to my OneDrive and I'm getting the same "Access Denied" error.

Any thoughts?

LifeWulf, Sep 23, 2015
  15. aIex Win User
    • copy Documents folder somewhere else
    • unlink my OneDrive account
    • select different OneDrive folder
    • don't sync anythin (untick all)
    • restore default location
    • copy previously copied Documents to default location (it was empty for me, when I did it)
    • unlink OneDrive
    • (optional) go to OneDrive settings, 2nd tab (automatic saving or something), select that you want your documents to be saved on OneDrive instead of your computer.

Thema:

1. Access Denied - moving Pictures folder to default or other locations - Similar Threads - Access Denied moving

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  4. error "location is not available access is denied" when accessing folders in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error "location is not available access is denied" when accessing folders in the...: At first I tried to use the solutions I got by searching on Google such as Checking "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files. I also followed the first step on this article but nothing worked. Some backstory why I wanna...
  5. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  6. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  7. Access Denied for folder Document .Picture ,Videos with error this is no longer located...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access Denied for folder Document .Picture ,Videos with error this is no longer located...: Hello Team.I am getting Access denied and This is no longer location issue in Windows 10 ,this i am getting for My documents , Pictures ,Videos and Music folder only. any one help me to resolve the issue. i am not able save or delete any file ,i have the admin access ....
  8. Access denied when moving user's document location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access denied when moving user's document location: I have a problem when I try to move the location where I stored files. The location isn't correct, it's stored into C:\users:\nyoman\onedrive\documents where it's supposed to be on C:\users\nyoman\documents. Whenever I try to move the location/restore it to default it says:...
  9. Other folders will deny access, disconnect the pool

in Windows 10 Support
    Other folders will deny access, disconnect the pool: This is on windows 10 Pro machine: I had a "bad" install of windows 10 1507(I think) and I just could never get it to update, nothing would ever work. Microsoft gave me the "solution" of re-installing windows. I finally did on a 2nd hard drive, I know have 1803 on the same...
  10. Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Pictures Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Pictures folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in this...