Windows 10: Access Denied on USB Com Ports

Discus and support Access Denied on USB Com Ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to use the Adruino IDE to program an Arduino UNO single board computer. This communicates via the COM port on the USB of my Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JimHanlon1, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Access Denied on USB Com Ports

I am trying to use the Adruino IDE to program an Arduino UNO single board computer. This communicates via the COM port on the USB of my Windows 10 Computer. When connected, the IDE recognizes the board and can see which COM Port it is using. It can even download the UNO Board Information from the board. But when I try to upload a sketch program from the IDE to the UNO Board, I consistently get an IDE error message saying: Can't Open Device "\\.\COM3" : Access is Denied. I've trying moving to many other COM port numbers and to all three of the USB connections on my Acer laptop, but no luck. I'm suspicious that Microsoft Defender might be blocking access to this port when I try to upload a program through it.

Any other thoughts?

:)

JimHanlon1, Dec 18, 2020
  2. RonRubano Win User

Access denied to USB ports. Not a authorized user

I tried both methods and neither worked.

In method 1, step 5, "Run as administrator" did not appear.

Method @, I uninstalled the USB controller and restarted. I had the sane problem with access denied.

RonRubano, Dec 18, 2020
  3. Access denied to USB ports. Not a authorized user

Hi Ron,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concerned. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1.

I suggest you to run Hardware troubleshooter and checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Hardware and sound under Troubleshoot computer problems.

• Click on Hardware and devices under Devices.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware and devices dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    If the issue still persist, try the below method.

Method 2.

I recommend you to uninstall and reinstall the USB port driver and check. Follow the below information provided.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for Universal Serial Bus Controller, click on it and expand it.

• Right click on the USB port driver under Universal Serial Bus Controller and click on
      uninstall.

• Once uninstall is done, restart the computer.
    Hope this helps. Please let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 18, 2020
  4. RonRubano Win User

Access Denied on USB Com Ports

Access denied to USB ports. Not a authorized user

Denied access to USB ports. The message says I'm not authorized. This happened all of a sudden. I have tested all the ports and received the same answer. I have tested the usb my USB drives in other machines with success. I also so recieve an error
    message that my recycle bin is corrupted on G: drive which is an external drive for backup. Once I unplug the drive, I don't get the message anymore. I could sure use some help!

RonRubano, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

Access Denied on USB Com Ports

1. Access Denied on USB Com Ports - Similar Threads - Access Denied USB

2. Windows 11 USB COM port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  3. Windows 11 USB COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  4. usb com port problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb com port problem: I am trying to use my win10 laptop to connect via USB to an Arduino UNO clone which has a CH340 chip. When I try to load the CH340 driver the installer reports "The drive is successfully pre-installed in advance". When the clone is connected to USB it should then show up in...
  5. COM Port emulation on USB Port

COM Port emulation on USB Port: I am trying to hook a device to my computer so that I can program it. In order to do this I need a COM Port... Since NO COM Ports are created in Windows 10 how do I map a COM Port onto a USB Port... I have read a previous post and followed it to the letter... However when...
  6. USB COM Port Issues

USB COM Port Issues: On start-up, my only connected USB devices to my laptop are a mouse/keyboard and a hub. The laptop functions perfectly and Device Manager is fine. I have 2 additional USB devices that need to be connected: A: which is a Arduino UNO and B: which is a USB/TTL UART adapter....
  7. USB COM Port mess

USB COM Port mess: I had an Arduino UNO happily connected to my COM3 port via a USB hub. Last week, I needed to install a FTDI USB-UART adapter and had problems with its drivers. Eventually I got it going. Now here's the problem- whenever I plug in my Arduino, Windows thinks its the USB-UART...
  8. USB->RS232: Access to port 'COMX' denied.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB->RS232: Access to port 'COMX' denied.: Hello guys, i have a strange problem with windows 10; communication with arduino, laboratory instruments, network devices no longer go! it seems as if there is some problem with the serial communication via usb; because all these channels have in common the fact that they...
  9. usb not assigning a com port

usb not assigning a com port: my usb device needs a com port how do i manually assign one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-not-assigning-a-com-port/462324da-54ea-4a9e-b158-97992c4f4ad2
  10. Configuring USB to DB25 as a Com Port

Configuring USB to DB25 as a Com Port: I am trying to use a Dell Optiplex 9010 sff with 2 USB to DB25 serial port to connect the PC to a piece of equiptment that recieves control instructions. when i connect the USB cables to the computer, in the device manager they show in USB section as "No printer Attached"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the communications port 4 could not be opened access denied